Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 7th, 2001, 02:39 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C
Default West Coast Cruises

Hello everyone,
Got an idea. Florida has an abundance of cruises, but on the West Coast not much at all, Mexican Riv and Baja. Once in awhile Hawaii.
So let us put our heads together and come up with an itinerary for the West Coastal cruises. More than a reposition.

How about we start with this?
San Diego, Los Angelus, San Francisco, Columbia River, Portland, Seattle, Victoria and Vancouver, of course with sea time inbetween.

Anyone else to add ... subtract? Extend for more days what ever you like. It is your itinerary.

Y2C
Tuesday West Coast Chat Host
Sponsored Links
Old August 8th, 2001, 12:08 PM
Rich & Kathy

Default Re: West Coast Cruises

We've all for West Coast cruises. This year we cruised to Alaska out of Seattle and next year we're booked on the new Star Princess ouf of L.A. We needed a break from flying cross-country to Florida every time. Have no idea what itineraries could be added to the West Coast -- how about just finding a warm, sunny spot and keep circling?

-- Kathy
Old August 8th, 2001, 11:05 PM
Admiral

Rich & Kathy,

A warm sunny spot sounds wonderful, but about the only warm sunny spot that's accessible from the West Coast on a seven-day cruise is the Mexican Riviera.

Norm.
Old August 8th, 2001, 11:21 PM
Admiral

Y2C,

I love the idea of a "Pacific Coast" itinerary. The primary difficulty in planning such an itinerary, of course, is the constraints imposed by the Jones Act -- which forces every such cruise either to return to its point of origin or to terminate in either Canada or Mexico since there's no "distant foreign port" that's reasonably within reach. I hope that you have some contacts to sell this idea at Princess headquarters!

Here's one viable option for a Northbound "Pacific Coast" itinerary.

>> Saturday - Depart San Francisco (or Oakland)
>> Sunday - At Sea
>> Monday - Portland (or Astoria)
>> Tuesday - At Sea
>> Wednesday - Victoria
>> Thursday - Seattle
>> Friday - Cruising Puget Sound
>> Saturday - Disembark in Vancouver

The Southbound version of this itinerary would be similar.

>> Saturday - Depart Vancouver
>> Sunday - Seattle
>> Monday - Cruising Puget Sound
>> Tuesday - Victoria
>> Wednesday - At Sea
>> Thursday - Portland (or Astoria)
>> Friday - At Sea
>> Saturday - Disembark in San Francisco

Note that the Jones Act precludes passenger embarkation or disembarkation in Seattle.

Here's a possibility for a "Round Trip" itinerary out of Portland.

>> Saturday - Depart Portland
>> Sunday - At Sea
>> Monday - Victoria
>> Tuesday - Seattle
>> Wednesday - Cruising Puget Sound
>> Thursday - Vancouver
>> Friday - At Sea
>> Saturday - Disembark in Portland

There's sufficient slack in these schedules so the ship actually could depart Seattle in the morning of the day labeled "Cruising Puget Sound," allowing passengers a good taste of the city's night life.

Good luck with the sales pitch!

Norm.
Old August 9th, 2001, 12:15 PM
LovetheSea

We are booked on the Sea Princess for a three night out of Vancouver B.C. on Sept.22. It goes to Victoria and Seattle. I think this is the only three night Princess does on the Westcoast? It was hard finding info on this one.
Old August 9th, 2001, 01:19 PM
Rich & Kathy

Hi Norm,

I like your itinerary out of Portland. On our Alaska cruise out of Seattle, we actually had sunny and warm until we got up into the Inside Passage. Brrrr ... too cold to walk the promenade. So, I only need it to be sunny and warm enough to walk the Promenade.

-- Kathy
Old August 10th, 2001, 09:01 PM
Admiral

LovetheSea,

Princess tries to avoid short cruises, apparently using them mostly as familiarization cruises for travel agents. They generally don't even appear on Princess's web site and I have yet to see them listed in any brochure -- even on the schedule charts!

Apparently the experience on other lines is that most cruises of less than a week tend to draw a much wilder "party" crowd who, perhaps unintentionally, tend to be very rough on a ship. I recently talked to a travel agent who described going on a three-day familiarization cruise aboard such a vessel and having the ship's personnel apologize for the condition of the vessel and ask them not to judge the line by that ship. Of course, such an incident tells me that the line should have fired the employee who arranged a familiarization cruise aboard such a vessel....

Anyway, such tendencies might explain Princess's avoidance of cruises of less than a week's duration. Among other lines in the "premium" segment of the market, Celebrity does not seem to offer very many short cruises and I'm not aware of many such offerings from Holland America Lines.

Norm.
Old August 15th, 2001, 12:39 PM
Rich and Kathy

Actually, short cruises are starting to catch on out of Seattle and Vancouver. Princess, Holland America and RCI are 3 cruise lines who have utilized this port recently to introduce people to cruising and to supplement their Alaska seasonal revenue. Hope this trend continues.

-- R&K