Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 21st, 2001, 03:26 AM
Glenda

Default TIPPING

Did I read correctly about an automatic $6.50 pp daily charge for the dining staff on Princess? Hope someone can answer this question for me. We are sailing on the Golden in October and would like to know anything about the ship that anyone has to offer. Thank You.
Sponsored Links
Old August 21st, 2001, 09:08 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: TIPPING

Hi Glenda,
Here is a recent members review of Grand Princess, hope it answers some questions:

<http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/cruiseguide/shiptour/memreviews/mr_princess/grand15.cfm>

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old August 21st, 2001, 04:34 PM
Hondu

Yes, we just did the Sun Princess. The auto tip that will be charge to your account is $6.50 per person, per day for the waitstaff. This includes waiter, assistant and Maitre D). You should continue to tip the cabin steward yourself.

Personally, I don't like the fact that the Maitre D get a cut of my tip but I decided to accept the new system instead of asking them to remove it from my account and then tipping the traditional way.
Old August 21st, 2001, 08:18 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to HelenRose

GLENDA,

We are sailing on the Crown Princess in October and I have been wondering the same thing about tipping. This will be our 24th. curise and I like the OLD FASHION way of handing the envelopes to the people who did so much for us.
Not to often has the Maitre'd done anything so I only want to tip him accordingly.
Our waiter, bus person on the other hand, usually have given great service and I want to thank them more. I plan on going to the pursers desk right away and telling them not to put it on our bill, that we will take care of it ourselves. If we go to other dining rooms we will tip accordingly. I don;t like it that they do it automatically and I plan on telling them so. We have never tipped what they recommend, it has always been higher. But I am not going to tip the Maitre'd higher if he does nothing for us.
Old August 22nd, 2001, 12:41 AM
Admiral

Everybody,

The policy of automatic tipping of dining staff applies only aboard vessels that have adopted the new "Personal Choice Dining" program -- which are MV Sun Princess, MV Dawn Princess, MV Sea Princess, MV Ocean Princess, MV Grand Princess, and MV Golden Princess. Additionally, the new MV Star Princess will join this list on her inaugural cruise next winter. The issue is that the "Open Seating" option of "Personal Choice Dining" causes different assignments each night so passengers who select the "Open Seating" option would have to tip each night in order to tip the staff who actually serve them. The suggested tip for cabin attendants is now $3.50 per passenger per day, and is not included in the automatic tip.

Note that on these vessels, you may adjust the amount of the tip -- either up or down -- at the purser's desk. If you choose the "Traditional Seating" option and prefer to tip in the traditional manner, simply ask the purser's desk to remove the tip from your on-board account.

The remaining vessels -- MV Pacific Princess, MV Royal Princess, MV Regal Princess, and MV Crown Princess -- still retain the traditional tipping program. On these vessels, I noticed that Princess has raised the suggested tips to $3.50 per passenger per day for the waiter and the cabin steward and to $2.00 per day for the assistant waiter.

Norm.
Old August 22nd, 2001, 02:41 PM
Rob H

Norm.
On our Celebrity Infinity trip to Alaska, those are the guidelines we were given. Cabin / Waiter at $3.50 each pp pd
Asst waiter at $2.00 pp pd.

Do you know if we can put on on account and get a receipt to give to Cabin Steward ?? I saw that somewhere

cheers

Rob
Old August 22nd, 2001, 04:33 PM
aladyncal

Yes, with Princess you can charge it to your account and they will give you a voucher to put in the envelope to the waiter, asst waiter, room steward.
Old August 23rd, 2001, 11:39 PM
Admiral

Rob H,

Yes, Princess does offer this service.

Norm.
Old August 24th, 2001, 01:11 PM
Glenda

Thank You all for your information.
Old August 25th, 2001, 07:04 PM
LS

We were on the Grand this summer and did have the automatic Tipping stopped.
A TIP is To Insure Promptness. If a TIP is automatic where is the incentive to do better. It’s really a service charge, not a TIP.

They should ask before they take money out of our accounts rather than having us ask to stop it.

The new system, in my opinion, SUCKS….
Old August 25th, 2001, 11:40 PM
First Mate

I didn't like the automatic charge to my account so went to the Pursers desk and had it removed. I tipped the "old fashioned" way-I like handing the envelope to the waiters myself