Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 22nd, 2001, 11:11 PM
J Stevens

Default Princess Cruises S***k

August 13, 2001

To: Princess Cruises
Passenger Relations Department

Admiral of the Fleet
Cruise & Tour Center

To Whom It May Concern:
This letter is to inform both companies involved of the events that transpired on the
Grand Princess Eastern Caribbean Cruise on the dates of Aug. 5 thru Aug. 12. I am extremely upset by these events and I will detail the events by date in this letter.

Mid July
P Smith and I received our cruise tickets from Tanya at the cruise center which the tickets had the room C719 on our documents. I questioned Tanya about the room change which she told me that Princess had upgraded our room which we accepted the upgrade. I questioned it because initially we were told that we would be in A235.
Also the $800.00 room credit which I had put on our room was not on our cruise tickets. I questioned Tanya about this and she contacted Princess and was told that it was put on as a gift and would not show up on our cruise tickets. She also had Princess fax over a document with that stated which I received.

Aug. 5
We left DFW Airport on American Airlines and arrived at Ft. Lauderdale with all of our luggage and arrived at Port Everglades Terminal. We arrived at the terminal with our Princess luggage tags on our luggage with the room number C719 and loaded them on the dock which the luggage person took and loaded all 4 pieces of luggage on to the metal cage which we both watched them do.
We then went to the Caribe check in line in the terminal and stood in line and finally got to check in even though we had express check in. The person checking us in went down to the Aloha line and brought down our cards. I inspected our cards and the card said we were in A235. I told the man that was incorrect which he was extremely rude and told us we were in A235. I asked to speak to a supervisor which he ignored me and brushed me aside to help another customer. At this point I was furious.
We boarded the Grand Princess and went to our wrong room A235 which was unkept, a big stain on the carpet near the dresser and the sheets and pillowcases were soiled.
Our cabin steward Armando acted like I was bothering him by asking to clean our room and it took 4 hours to get clean sheets and someone finally came down to try to clean the carpet which was still stained after he left.
We waited all day and finally received 3 of 4 pieces of luggage at about 8 pm because it had the wrong room number on our luggage tags because of Princess�s mistake.
At this point I called the purser�s desk which were very rude and unhelpful and asked to speak to a supervisor. I then talked to Tony Arvidson who is one of the most rudest person I have ever come in contact with in my life. He would not help me to find the lost piece of luggage and to resolve the problems with the room number and told me that C719 was all ready taken and that was just too bad. He has no business dealing with customers with the bad attitude he displayed to me.
I then ask Tony to speak to his supervisor which he declined and would not tell me his name. I then called back the purser�s desk and asked who is his supervisor in which I was told Martin May. I discussed the problems with him and told me I want a new room. He declined because he said that they were booked up. He also said that he could not make decisions concerning taking money off of our cruise because of the policies of Princess which he never fully explained.
They sent down a bottle of wine which I don�t drink and was pretty much in shock and very angry concering the treatment of the staff and the piece of luggage being lost due to Princess�s mistake. I spent the whole day and night messing with this matter when I should have been relaxing.

Time Lost: 1 day

Aug. 6
I spent most of the day talking with Martin May concerning the luggage and the treatment of your staff and the condition of the room. I had a meeting with him that morning to resolve this matter which he never did. He put a $250.00 room credit on our room to try to buy Paula Smith things to get her thru the cruise which definitely
was not enough.
I then asked who Martin�s supervisor was and was told his name is Carlo Gunneti.
I scheduled a meeting with him to discuss this matter. I then had a meeting with him and he was very unhelpful and had a very bad attitude about helping me with these matters.
I called the cruise center and told them that I wanted a room upgrade, money taken off my cruise which nothing was done by Princess and also asked that someone at their corporate office contact me which they never did thru out the cruise.

Aug. 7
The purser�s office took a report of our lost piece of luggage which still has not been found. I repeatedly ask that someone from Princess�s corporate office contact me on the ship which they never did.

Aug. 8
In St. Thomas. Was told that they were going to upgrade us to a room the same size that we were in and was very insulted by that. I declined. Asked again to have someone contact us from corporate office which I never heard from.

Time Lost: � day

Aug. 9
In St. Martin. Asked again to be contacted by corporate office which they never did.
Still could not find luggage.

Aug. 10
Asked to speak to Carlo Gunneti�s supervisor and was told it was Commodore Mike Moulin. I asked to speak with him which they told me he was busy. I them wrote him a letter and then had a meeting with him. He told me that nothing could be done and was concerned about the security of the ship which Princess has none.
Piece of lost luggage still could not be found. Assume it is stolen or thrown overboard.

Aug. 11
Asked again to be contacted by corporate office which they never did. Luggage still is missing.

Aug. 12
Get off the ship and had asked for a wake up call at 60 am but they call at 40am instead. Luggage is still missing.

Aug. 13
Call MBNA Cruise Loan from which I purchased this cruise to deny the charges and find out that Aug. 9 I was charged another $800.00 for a room credit.

Total Time Lost: 6 days

In closing,
This is the worst vacation I have ever taken and I am shocked by the treatment of your staff and the lack of professionalism to P Smith and I. I want the charges of $2585.70 taken off my MBNA Account and I will pay for the $800.00 room credit. I will not accept anything less and have discussed this matter with MBNA and my attorney. I would also want the duplicate $800.00 charge taken off as well. I would expect this to be resolved in a timely matter.

J Stevens

Never take a Princess Cruise....They are the worst line there is....Only offered me a 25% discount off a future cruise....What makes them think that I will ever take a cruise with them again...
Sponsored Links
Old August 23rd, 2001, 07:02 AM
LindaS

Default Re: Princess Cruises Sucks

What was the actual room number given on your tickets/documents. It sounds as if it was on the Aloah deck and that maybe your TA gave you the incorrect information for the Caribe deck as there was already someone else assigned to that room at check in and their computer system is such that would eliminate these errors of duplicate room distribution. It also seems, though I wasn't there that maybe your attitude about not getting the upgrade that you had expected had you quite angry to begin with and this put them all in such a defensive manor that nothing was going to get solved no matter how high you went up on the ladder.
Old August 23rd, 2001, 07:25 AM
First Mate

So how was the cruise?
Old August 23rd, 2001, 08:18 AM
J Stevens

My actual room number on my cruise tickets says C719......Wouldn't you be angry too if someone ripped you off......
Old August 23rd, 2001, 08:19 AM
J Stevens

The worst vacation I have ever taken in my life.....
Old August 23rd, 2001, 09:43 AM
SprCmp2415

I think attitudes, both on the part of the passenger,(a stain on the carpet? gimme strength), and the cruise line ruined in your mind your vacation. I would have simply enjoyed the rest of the cruise, then took the problem up with my credit card company and my travel agent. When you put people on the defensive...well you know the rest.
Old August 23rd, 2001, 02:19 PM
J Stevens

I think attitudes, both on the part of the passenger,(a stain on the carpet? gimme strength), and the cruise line ruined in your mind your vacation.

Yes a stain on the carpet that looked like someone pissed on the carpet....Maybe you are used to paying for something and being ripped off but I am not....My advice to you is not to respond to something you don't know about......Do you work for Princess Cruise Lines or something??????
Old August 23rd, 2001, 03:50 PM
First Mate

It is a shame that your cruise was not what you expected....I have cruised with Princess MANY times and never once had a problem that was not fixable. Last year we were in line to board the ship when the family of 5 in front of us watched ALL their luggage fall into the water as they were loading it on the ship. Only 2 of their 7 pieces of luggage were recovered. Princess made sure that they were taken care of and gave them money to purchase clothes either on the ship or at a port. Yes their vacation was ruined somewhat but I never saw them feeling sorry for themselves. Actually they were getting all the attention from the passengers after everyone heard the story. They made the best of a bad situation I must admit. You really should try another Princess Cruise, I think you would really enjoy it if you let youself..........
Old August 23rd, 2001, 04:43 PM
Carole Dunham

We were on the Amsterdam last spring on a ten day Panama Canal cruise in a mini suite. For almost the entire cruise our toilet didn't work. It roared like a lion since it was a hole in a pipe that caused the problem. HAL did absolutely nothing and the attitude was so what, you're probably lying. When I got home I wrote a very balanced account of the cruise, not hesitating to point out the wonderful things I encountered onboard, great food, beautiful ship, wonderful service from their justly famous Philipino/Indonesian crew. And then the bad part, the attitude of the front desk and the management when we pressed harder. Some HAL DSMs read my review on various sites on the internet. Since the reviews were balanced, they all said they would forward my reviews to the CEO of HAL. I thanked them and told them nothing would happen. Nothing did. So I'm going back to Princess for my 14th and 15th cruises. The worst thing that's ever happened to me on a Princess cruise was that a washer in a sink needed replacing. My cruise buddy was totally deaf when she took out her hearing aids but I can hear just fine. She'd go to the bathroom in the night and the drip, drip, drip would wake me up. One word to our cabin steward and the problem was resolved. So, no cruiseline seems to tolerate anything out of the ordinary. I heard from lots of other people when I posted my Amsterdam review and not a single cruiseline was spared some bitter comments. Stay ashore.

Carole
Old August 23rd, 2001, 05:23 PM
First Mate

When my husband and I cruised on Princess in November of 2000, I encountered rude people who would just assume brush me aside than help me. We had filled out all the paperwork before getting to the terminal, but then there was one document we had not filled out apparantly. This we find out after standing in line for 15/20 minutes. We were told to take the document, get out of line, fill it out and then go back to the counters.
I am not one to break in front of other people, so once again we stood in line. I was very annoyed by the time we got up to the counter for the second time, but this time we had another person who knew how to deal with people and she difused the entire situation. She took the time to explain what the form was. We got our stuff and we were off.
I had ordered the Deluxe Anniversary Package and it was not in the room when we arrived, but we chalked that up to the fact that we had boarded really early. It finally did get there, about the same time as the luggage.
It was a rough start, but we decided not to let it spoil our entire trip, and we are going on another princess cruise in 2003, on the Dawn Princess.
At least the next time I will know about the form!

While it is good to vent on message boards and you have every right to do so, I sincerely hope you continue to keep in touch with Princess (HQ) regarding your complaint, and I hope you get the results you are looking for.
Old August 23rd, 2001, 05:46 PM
LindaS

Everyone makes mistakes and cruise lines are no exception, but it is true that you get more with honey than with vinegar and I sense much hostility within you "pisssed on the carpet" ripped me off" etc. It's like you had taken these misfortunes personally as if they were out to get you from the start. I think if you had not put them on the defensive initially they would have bent over backwards to try to accomodate you. We have cruised with Princess many times the last being in July this year on the Grand with our family in one of the suites on the Lido deck and another on the Caribe deck for the kids (16-23) and our vacation could not have been more enjoyable. Sure there were little things that we either didn't like or agree with but that didn't ruin our vacaion. All this with the room deal---just exactly what did you pay for? It seems as if it was for the cabin on the Aloha deck and you really had your heart set on the supposed uypgrade to the Caribe deck and when that didn't materialize you hit the roof. Remeber when booking future cruises on whichever line you choose that you should NOT book anything LESS than what you would be happy staying in just in case you don't get the upgrade. Maybe in the future you just may have a nice cruise either with Princess or someone else
Old August 23rd, 2001, 07:08 PM
JollyMon

Sorry to hear you had troubles. I hate when people are rude to me...especially when I pay their salary. I understand that things go wrong. From your story, I would have expected a better resolution. There are many things Princess COULD have done to at least TRY to make up for it. Especially the rude personnel. I encountered many rude people on RCI Enchantment when I had a problem of being double charged for drinks. (on more than one occasion) I was very nice to the staff, and got nothing but "the runaround" and rudeness. (even from the bar manager, and Pursers Desk) It ruined my time, until I decided NOTHING was going to damper my FIRST cruise. The cruise turned out to be THE BEST, with a couple minor problems. (Of course, my problems were not as grave as yours) I hope you get some resolution. Good luck.
JollyMon
Old August 23rd, 2001, 07:51 PM
Rochelle

Errors happen, but when a paying passenger is "blown off" by a crew member the passenger has justification for getting outraged.

Surly there is another side to the story but the luggage was missing after being witnessed being loaded, and no matter how aggressive the passenger became it was up to the crew member in charge of the situation to smooth things over not to add fuel to the fire.

This is a very sad event,rudness by crew is not justified...they must always, always remember that crew is overhead..passenger is profit.
Old August 23rd, 2001, 08:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi J Stevens,
Sorry to hear about your troubles on your cruise BTW, did you ever get the missing luggage found and returned?? HOpe so! Better luck next time, hope you do continue to cruise in the future with lots better luck.

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old August 23rd, 2001, 09:20 PM
First Mate

I just back on the 19th from the Grand, which was my first Princess cruise, and I had a problem with my debit card!! Princess had taken almost $400.00 out before we ever left which caused my account to come up with an incorrect amount. I knew I had plenty of money in the account so Princess called the # on the credit/debit card and I was on the phone for 25 minutes. Thankfully they didn't charge me for the call! It took 2 days to get it straightened out and I wouldn't let my son or myself use our onboard account until it got cleared ! I didn't take my check book along because I didn't think you could pay with a check but they said I could. I also didn't have another credit card because I prefer to only use my debit card so I don't have the bill later on. Thankfully everything got settled but I was sweating bullets wondering what I was going to do- in the meantime I called home and had my mother put in an extra thousand in my account which I ended up not needing. The Pursers desk staff were kind and helpful but I would have been pissed with the treatment given to Steve
Old August 23rd, 2001, 10:16 PM
Admiral

Barbara,

Just thinking out loud:

>> How many other passenger's vacations get spoiled by a fellow passenger who is griping all the time?

>> Is this the sort of fellow passenger that you want on YOUR next cruise?

Let's not encourage him!

Norm.
Old August 23rd, 2001, 10:25 PM
Admiral

barbara,

Sorry to hear about the confusion, and glad to hear that it got straightend out.

Your story illustrates the reason why I absolutely refuse to carry a debit card. With a conventional credit card, I get the bill and review the charges to make sure that they are proper (by matching up receipts to charges) before I pay the bill -- and thus before any money leaves my checking account. With a debit card, though, the money leaves your bank account as soon as each charge clears. If there's a faudulent charge, you get to fight to reclaim the funds -- which is sort of like shutting the barn door after the horse leaves!

Norm.
Old August 23rd, 2001, 10:29 PM
J Stevens

Why don't you just think to yourself then.....I didn't write this to get flamed by you or anyone else
Old August 23rd, 2001, 10:32 PM
J Stevens

Thank you for the nice message....I have been on the phone with princess for the past week and a half to try to resolve this to no avail....What a nightmare
Old August 23rd, 2001, 10:35 PM
J Stevens

Exactly my feelings.....I am a manager of 10 multi million dollar accounts and if i talk to my customers the way i have been dealt with by Princess I would be out of business and my owner would have my head....
Old August 23rd, 2001, 10:40 PM
J Stevens

Well I got a phone call from Princess last Monday and they found it.... I asked them where it has been and they didn't know.....When I got the luggage overnighted to me, all the tags were torn off except the princess tag which wasn't the one i put on there....It had the room A317 when I was in A235 and was suppose to be in C719.....So it had to be on the ship but I was assured by the commodore that they did a room to room search for it....ya right.....Thanks for your nice response
Old August 23rd, 2001, 10:42 PM
J Stevens

I am glad they got that settled...Thanks for the nice reply.......
Old August 23rd, 2001, 11:19 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to abbymac Send a message via MSN to abbymac Send a message via Yahoo to abbymac

"Why don't you just think to yourself then.....I didn't write this to get flamed by you or anyone else"

Obviously this poster believes he's the only one allowed to flame on this board....his title for this thread is a perfect example. He has an agenda, and to heck with anyone who doesn't buy his version of events.

I don't know what happened. But I get definite vibes about this guy's attitude. Problems happen. No one is perfect. BUT when problems happen, your attitude - and the way you respond to those problems - will have a great deal to do with the ultimate resolution. In this case, if the poster demonstrated his charming attitude from the very beginning, it wouldn't surprise me if staff people were less than responsive. I am not excusing poor service, or failure to respond......but no one likes to be screamed at, or insulted, or made to feel inferior.

abby
Old August 24th, 2001, 02:02 AM
cruisin'dj

i absolutely agree with abbymac. if you desire a resolution to a particular problem, then you must motivate people to help you solve your problem. i'm not saying be weak or undetermined, but in a calm and professional way, state the problem, give one or more solutons that would be acceptable to you, and then emphasize the end result, "helping me solve this problem would really make my day, and i would be very thankfull for any assistance". for many years, i played music for a living, and there is a saying in dj circles that says"i will gladly take requests, but i don't take demands". 'im about to go on my 9th cruise, and all told, ive never encountered a problem on a cruise that wasn't able to be solved when approached in the right way.
Old August 24th, 2001, 02:08 PM
First Mate

I would be interested to know how your attorney advised you regarding this matter. I am an attorney, and, while I certainly do not condone the rude treatment you received, I can say that it seems to me that you got what you bargained for and are therefore contractually obligated to pay for your cruise fare. Let me explain what I mean when I say that you got what you bargained for: you paid for stateroom A235 and you got it. Okay, so it wasn't clean when you first got there and there was a stain in the carpet, but you had unrestricted use of that stateroom for the duration of the cruise, and I assume that there was not anything substantially wrong with it that would have prevented you from enjoying it (i.e.; the plumbing worked, it wasn't leaking water from anywhere, it had heat/air conditioning, etc.). Now, you may have been told by your TA when you received your cruise documents that you had been upgraded, but you must keep in mind that any upgrades are made at the discretion of the cruise line, and if the cruise line gave you the stateroom you originally purchased despite your being told you'd been upgraded, I do not see how you have been harmed.

As for your luggage being lost, the cruise line did compensate you to some extent by giving your companion the $250 credit. I would read carefully your cruise contract to determine the line's liability for lost luggage; unfortunately you are probably bound by that liability limit. If that limit does not cover your actual out of pocket losses, then file a claim with your travel insurance (or possibly homeowner's insurance) and see if you can get additional compensation.

The treatment you received was abhorrent and I do sympathize with you. No passenger should ever be treated rudely and I can understand your frustration. You were right to inform the cruise line of the manner in which you were treated, and I think that their offering you a 25% discount on a future booking was a good attempt to win you back as a customer. I'd say give it a try.

In conclusion, I think you are going to have a really difficult time successfully disputing the charge for the cruise fare. Put it behind you. Forget about the bad times you had and try to focus on at least one positive aspect of your vacation. Then go have a ball on a future Princess cruise knowing that you paid 25% less than everybody else paid for theirs.
Old August 24th, 2001, 03:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

And how many times did he say "RUDE?"
Old August 24th, 2001, 04:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Gee... Sheila, U give pretty darn good advice for a lawyer <G>

Regards,
Kuki
Old August 24th, 2001, 04:37 PM
Admiral

Hi folks,
Long time, no talk with............ I also agree with Abbymac. This guy and the entire explanation seems a bit "out there". We have had folks having some fun with us before on this board and, I have to admit, he had me interested there for awhile -----UNTIL----- the proclamation of managing millions of dollars of ??????? Come on folks...........let's get off this one. All of the responses trying to convince this guy to calm down and try again are totally useless. For anyone who has had a bit of bad luck on a cruise (yes, some worse than others) yet still not be able to comment, even slightly, on the beauty of the ship, the ocean, the Caribbean islands, the romance, etc. etc................does not deserve our shoulder to cry on. Take a hike J. Stevens
Old August 24th, 2001, 06:42 PM
ZulaSue

J Stevens,

You don't by any chance work for the U.S. Postal Service do you?
Old August 24th, 2001, 08:51 PM
Admiral

J. Stevens

Get a life. I don't care if you are the president or the Pope. It sounds like you created your own problem. Live with it!!!
Closed Thread