Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 29th, 2001, 12:03 PM
Madeline Nappa

Default Royal Princess World Cruise 2001

We sailed the Royal Princess on her Premier World cruise,as past cruisers with Princess,we expected better fares,especially since we booked one year in advance,On board we met with many passengers,with much better cabins.whom paid much much less than we did.To make matters worse the ship collided with another huge ship at 3A.M.knocking us from our beds,and frightening us a great deal.luckily we were in Port Said at the time.We were compensated with wine at dinner!!!!. We get no satisfaction from Princess,instead we receive rude answers to our letters,avoiding our issues.We have sailed with Princess many times but are Quite disappointed with them at this point.
Mr.and MRS NAPPA
Sponsored Links
Old August 29th, 2001, 04:03 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Royal Princess World Cruise 2001

I am probably going to get "slapped" for this but here it goes. Other passenger with better cabins-most likely upgrades and darn you did not get one as well.

I agree crashing into another ship is downright scary, but it must not have been too bad because neither ship was disabled (that I could tell from your post). Boy that would have been really bad.

I will also agree Princess' attempt at "fixing" the problem was lame, and I also agree that you as a passenger should have received answers to your questions, issues and problems without rudeness.

Maybe you can find out what other passengers are doing or receiving from Princess and try and get the same thing.

My suggestions: Pick another cruise line, or at least take a break from Princess for awhile. Perhaps this sailing was a fluke.

(I bet somebody somewhere got in really big trouble for the collusion.)
Old August 29th, 2001, 11:24 PM
Admiral

Madeline,

You're very fortunate that Princess does not charge any extra for an "Unscheduled Casualty Adventure Package" on "World Cruise" itineraries. These adventures are very costly for the cruise line, you know. It's unfortunate that you misse dout on the "Three-Day Liferaft Survival Excursion on Stormy Seas" that's sometimes included in these prograams -- but it was fun anyway, wasn't it? ;-)

Seriously, I actually had quite a chat with the ship's boatswain a couple months ago about, among other things, a rather impressive "battle scar" on the ship's starboard quarter and the collision that caused it. I'm sure that it was most disconcerting to get summoned to muster stations at 3:00 AM and have to stay there for several hours. As the boatswain described the incident, a very bad windstorm came up very suddenly and with absolutely no warning at that hour of the morning. The storm apparently caused several ships that were moored in Port Said to part their moorings. MV Royal Princess had proper watches set, consistent with Princess's untiring commitment to safety, so the watch was able to bring propulsion on line and regain maneuvering control very quickly after she parted her moorings. Unfortunately, the other vessel involved in the collision had minimal watches, consistent with being in port, and thus could not bring propulsion on line so she could maneuver. With all the vessels adrift in the harbor, MV Royal Princess was boxed in. The time that you spent at your muster stations reflects the time that the crew needed to separate the vessels, assess the damage, and take other precautions to ensure your safety and the safety of all the other passengers who were aboard at the time. Mishaps of this type are very serious, but so far I have not heard anything that points to either negligence or dereliction on the part of any of the ship's officers and crew. According to the boatswain's explanation, the crew was able to make temporary repairs during the port of call, apparently with some assistance from a local shipyard, so that MV Royal Princess could continue your cruise. She still bears the battle scar, which is slated for permanent repair during her upcoming yard period after she completes her "Canada/New England" itienraries in October. I'm guessing that the insurance companies still have not sorted this one out completely yet.

You were very fortunate that MV Royal Princess did not sustain more serious damage that would have force her to terminate the cruise in Port Said. In a collision at sea, the smaller vessel usually sustains much more serious damage than the larger vessel. In this instance the damage certainly was not as serious as it might have been. Also, you now have "bragging rights" about surviving a full-scale collision of two ships at night -- something that most cruise passengers will never have (we hope!).

As far as fares are concerned, I really think that your gripe is with your travel agent. If you booked early, your agent should have checked fares periodically to see if a better deal had become available. If so, your agent could have claimed it for you.

Anyway, I'm sorry to hear of your disappointment but I do hope that you will be back sometime.

Norm.
Old August 30th, 2001, 12:37 AM
cruzdiva

Norm is correct. Whatever cruise I'm sailing on, from the time of booking until we sail my travel agent checks fares on a weekly basis and if and when they come down, she claims it for us. I'm sure sometimes people cruise for less than we do and I'm sure sometimes people pay more. Since I've been sailing since 1959 and Princess is the line I sail the most, it probably all evens out in the long run anyway. We collided with something in Alaska once and we too got knocked out of bed as a result of the ship taking evasive action. Never did find out what it was, but since there was no damage, no one seemed to be terribly upset about it. Just another adventure at sea.

Carole
Old August 30th, 2001, 09:01 AM
Admiral

Diva is exactly right... Princess is the best at honoring lower fares when they apply to a category, not to an unpaid upgrade and your t/a should have checked regularly, especially on a world cruise. One other thing... we all chuckle from time to time at the phenomenon of "on-board cruise price bragging" that takes place on a regular basis on board cruise ships, of all lines. Someone understates his or her fare, to be positioned as a good negotiator or as having a better t/a or whatever. You are not likely to demand to see his ticket (which probably will not reflect the actual fare paid) or demand to see his credit card bills, etc. I wouldn't put much faith in on board conversations about fares and concentrate rather on being sure my t/a has gotten the best available fare for the category booked right up until documents are cut.
Old August 31st, 2001, 12:12 AM
Admiral

Ernie,

No, the fares printed on the ticket do not reflect what a passenger actually paid. They are the brochure fares (which are sort of like the "sticker prices" on new cars -- nobody in their right state of mind ever pays them). In eight cruises, I have yet to pay a fare that's anywhere close to the fare printed on my ticket!

Norm.