Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 9th, 2001, 07:22 AM
sam rose

Default wedding ceremony on board

We are thinking about getting married on board ship and are very interested to hear from anyone who has "tied the knot" in this way. Thank-you for taking the time to reply.
In anticipation
Sam + Darren
Sponsored Links
Old September 9th, 2001, 02:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: wedding ceremony on board

Hi Sam & Rose,
Here is a link to all the wedding information, sounds like a great idea:

<http://www.aweddingforyou.com/>

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old September 9th, 2001, 03:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

We did not get married at sea, but we did renew our 25th wedding anniversary vows on the Sea Princess last November 2000. It was absolutely wonderful. The only thing that might have made it better was if it had been in that magnificent Wedding Chapel on the Grand (but we had sailed on the Grand the year prior so we chose the Sea Princess).

We had family and friends (19 of us) with us which made it even more special. The ceremony was private and held in the Captain's office/quarters area. They had seating to accomodate all our guests, plus there were a couple of officers and the photographer, etc. in attendance as well. My bouquet was beautiful (and stayed fresh looking for days) and the photographer did a great job. The captain seemed genuinely interested and attentive (and there's no telling how many of these he has probably done over the years). We did not do the cake thing (other than the one they brought at dinner - which was nice), but did have a private cocktail reception to further celebrate the occasion.

I had found the most perfect invitations (8"x8") that were of a ship at sea with a bride and groom at the bow tossing the bouquet overboard. It has wedding bells on the stack, hearts in the coulds, etc. (After 25 years of marriage we're still hopeless romantics - and I say "we" because the renewal of vows idea was actually my husbands). We had the purser's office deliver them to the cabins of our friends and family (and they all loved them and it added to the excitement for them too). Even if it's just the two of you - something like that would be great to send out afterward announcing your marriage at sea). Just a thought and I'd be happy to send you one for reference if you're interested.

In closing - it really was great. Go for it - I think you will truly enjoy it!

Deborah
Old September 9th, 2001, 11:26 PM
Admiral

Sam & Darren,

A wedding at sea performed by the captain would be very romanitic indeed -- the romance of the sea probably is its primary allure!

That said, there are a few issues that you might want to consider before making a final commitment one way or the other.

>> 1. Do you want your close friends to be in your wedding party? Also, do you want your immediate families to attend your wedding in person? If so, do you want these individuals to accompany you on the "honeymoon" phase of the trip? Will they be able to afford the cost of the trip, or will you have to pick up all or part of the cost?

>> 2. Who do you want to invite as guests to your wedding? Do you want the guests at your wedding to accompany you on the "honeymoon" phase of the trip? Will the invited guests be able to afford the cost of the cruise? If there are guests who might not be able to afford the cost, are you willing to assist them?

>> 3. Do you want to have a secular ceremony or a religious ceremony? (The ship's captain can perform only a secular ceremony.)

>> 4. Do either of you belong to a church, synagogue, or other institution of worship that has specific requirements (for example, a religious ceremony) for marriage? If so, how will you fulfill your religious obligations with regard to this marriage?

I suspect that the answers to these questions will shed some light on the suitability of a wedding at sea to your circumstances.

Congratulations and best wishes, whichever way you decide to go!

Norm.
Old September 10th, 2001, 12:42 AM
Cruise Maniac

Sam,

My husband and I were married in New York last October on the Horizon and it was positively wonderful!! A Wedding For You (mentioned in an earlier posting) coordinated the entire event; all we literally had to do was show up. I highly recommend them.

We had about 30 guests for the ceremony that took place in the Zodiac Lounge then had a great lunch down in the dining room. My family still talk about our wedding to this day. But, quite honestly, the best part was when the guests got off the ship and we sailed away to Bermuda. You literally celebrate for 7 days! And, frankly, it is a steal pricewise, considering the prices of weddings these days (i.e. we were to have a champagne toast along with the luncheon [somthing like a difference of $4 per person to have it]. It was not just a toast, the glasses were kept constantly full. The wine steward (whom we now refer to as "The Champagne Lady") did an outstanding job as did all the dining staff.

I'm not sure what the situation is with the ships that have wedding chapels, i.e., does one contact them directly. So again, let me recommend that A Wedding for You be your guide as they handle not only shipboard weddings but also weddings in special settings, like on the beach, in Central Park, on top of the Empire State Building. Get the idea?

Bottom line?? DO IT!! You will not be dissapointed and you will have the most wonderful memories of your special day.

All the best and I wish you every happiness.
Angela
Old September 10th, 2001, 02:18 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Sam.
Just one other thought to add here.. I believe the Golden Princess now also offers a wedding cam, so guests at home can watch your wedding at sea.

Regards,
Kuki