Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 27th, 2001, 01:07 PM
First Mate

Default price dropped since you bought your airline ticket

Here is an interesting piece of information many people aren't
aware of. If the cost of your airline ticket has dropped since you purchased it, call the airlines and have them re-price it and they should send you a voucher for the difference! Case in point, Ibought tickets for Newark NJ to Santa Ana CA back in April for an October flight. In that time the prices dropped twice, the first time $110 and the seconds time $140. Each time I called Continental and they adjusted the cost and sent me vouchers each time for a total of $250. These vouchers are good for year and transferable once. The caveat is you can only use one voucher per reservation when buying new tickers. However, they may allow you to use more than 1 if you are persistent (they actually combine them into 1 voucher). I then used these 2 vouchers for each of our airfares to FLL for our December cruise and got the $250 off the cost of each of our tickets, resulting in $70 roundtrip tickets. Wait, it gets better. Last night I checked the current fares and noticed that the FLL fare had gone down $100. Now they are sending us each a new $100 voucher! Result, a net gain of $30 on the FLL tickets!
The reason the airlines do this is they don't want to penalize you for making early reservations. But YOU must watch the fares after that and call them. It does NOT happen automatically. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Old September 27th, 2001, 03:12 PM
JENNIE

Default Re: price dropped since you bought your airline ti

Not all airlines allow you to do this - this way. I believe Continental is the only one. The other airlines will make you pay a $75 per tkt service charge for this. Dont ask-it is silly.
Old September 27th, 2001, 03:20 PM
First Mate

Continental actually has the fee, but as a courtesy to its customers, waives it. It is essentially a re-ticketing fee. I can't imagine Continental is the only one who does this. If that is true, than this is another good reason to only fly Continental. If you have an e-Ticket, then it shouldn't matter since there is no ticket to re-issue. I know for a fact that Northwest also issue these vouchers without a fee since I have $90 worth from a trip to Shreveport last year that I got when those fares went down.
Old September 28th, 2001, 12:40 PM
cruzdiva

All the airlines have been waiving the $75 fee right now.

Carole
Old September 28th, 2001, 08:13 PM
Admiral

If you book through the airline (and some travel agents) - you can take the ticket back to where you bought it and they will give you a airline voucher for the difference. This has nothing to do with the $75 change fee. I have done this several times with United, Northwest and TWA.

Though - I booked recently through Orbitz and they will not do this.

Theresa
Old September 28th, 2001, 08:19 PM
First Mate

You don't have to go anywhere. It can be done over the phone and the vouchers (or eVouchers) are sent to you. There is a reticketing charge that is waived, because in actuality a new ticket is being issued at the new rate. In the case where you want a credit to your credit card, you must pay a fee which is generally more than the credit making it not an option at all.
Old September 29th, 2001, 01:58 PM
Admiral

Tom - whenever I have bought paper tickets (over etickets) - I have to go to the airport. If I do etickets - I can do it over the phone.
Old September 29th, 2001, 07:52 PM
First Mate

Assuming you mean have them re-price your ticket and send you a voucher, yes, it can be done over the phone.
Old September 30th, 2001, 10:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

It also depends on the fare basis for your ticket. Some tickets, especially those bought as an 'internet special' have exculsions in them, and it allows the airlines an 'out' to refuse to issue travel vouchers. With that said, it never hurts to ask! The worst they can say is no...