Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 5th, 2001, 04:32 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Cabo San Lucas, Puerto Vallarta, and Mazatlan

Sorry for so many posts tonight, but i was wondering if anyone could give us advice about what to do and not to do while at these ports?

What are tenders? Our booking says we'll have maybe 2 tenders. What is that?

thanks,
char
Sponsored Links
Old October 5th, 2001, 12:11 PM
justjohn

Default Re: Cabo San Lucas, Puerto Vallarta, and Mazatlan

Char...

Tenders are little boats, used to ferry passengers from ship to shore, when the ship isn't anchored at a dock. You'll use them in Cabo, to get to shore and back. In Mazatlan and PV, you tie up at shore, so, I don't think you'll use them.

PV has a wonderful downtown, with a very cool cathedral. You can also do down to where they filmed "Predator" and take a jungle tour.

You'll also see references to Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor, in town. They met in PV during the filming of Night of the Iguana. Part of that set is still around too, south of town at the La Jolla de Mismaloya resort. It might be cool to rent the movie before you go...you might recognize some things when you get there.

Caution: I would not swim in the ocean at PV...it's very rocky under the surf line because of dredging after storms washed out the beach. Plus, PV still dumps untreated sewage into the ocean.

Mazatlan is the shrimp capitol of Mexico. Be sure and take the tour over to Stone Island. There are several bar/restaurants. My favorite is Victor's. Victor and his wife Alma are very cool. He speaks pretty good english...she tries really hard. Take a good book, pull up a hammock, stick your feet in the sand, have a cold one and have them cook you a red snapper on their grill.

You can also do a banana float ride, ride horses, play volleyball, and walk the beach at stone island. (Stone Island, by the way, refers to the island, just off shore. You are on the beach of the mainland, just south of where the cruise ship docks. Sometimes you can find sand dollars, too.

By the way, Mazatlan treats their sewage...so, it's ok to swim in the ocean...plus, their beaches haven't been washed out by storms.

If you want more information on other attractions in PV or Mazatlan, just drop me an email. I love those two places....and, visit about once a year.

Enjoy!

justjohn

johnsgoneagain@yahoo.com
Old October 7th, 2001, 02:39 PM
Margie Kraft

We are going on Sea Princess on 11/03/01. Got our documents yesterday and they did mention tenders at two of the ports. Tenders are the life boats on the ship and are used to transport passengers from the ship to the dock when the ship is unable to tie up directly to the dock. We have been to these ports on prior cruises and always tied up directly to the dock (if my memory is correct). Anyone else have a different recollection? Is this the cruise you are going on? Margie
Old October 13th, 2001, 05:50 PM
Norm Reeder

We just got back from Sea Princess Mexican Riviera trip. Tenders are used only in Cabo. You dock at both Puerto Vallarta and at Matazlan.
Thanks
Norm