Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 10th, 2001, 10:55 PM
First Mate

Default grand princess oct. 27

Anyone who has been on the Grand since sept. 11, is there any real reason for me to cancel my cruise on Oct. 27? That is, is the ship full or empty, is the staff pleasant or fearful, can we still feel safe and have a good time, are security measures strong.
Sponsored Links
Old October 11th, 2001, 08:11 AM
First Mate

Default Re: grand princess oct. 27

I'm sailing on the Grand on Oct 28th, western Caribbean. I was originally travelling with 3 other women - 2 have cancelled, one is thinking of cancelling. I, personally, am still going. But I also am concerned about safety. Hope someone who has returned from recent cruise will update all of us as to how secure a trip they felt they had.
Old October 11th, 2001, 12:33 PM
skooter

I read a recent posting from someone on the G.P. She said that security was very tight. She even had her bandage scissors confiscated (she's a nurse). There were police boats patrolling Pt. Everglades in addition to National Guardsmen in the terminal. Can't imagine what more one could want for security. I'm booked for 11/11 and plan to go even if I'm the only passenger (I like the attention). As I've posted before, I live and work in NYC and take the subway back and forth to work every day. The idea of getting on a cruise ship sounds wonderful to me.
Old October 11th, 2001, 12:38 PM
skooter

I should add that this is the way I'm loooking at it and I'm not insisting that you do the same if you are truly afraid and would have a terrible time if you go. I'm trying to be philosophical about this. The only right decision is what you truly feel.
Old October 11th, 2001, 02:42 PM
zman

our cruise on GP on 9/30 was fully booked.
Old October 11th, 2001, 09:15 PM
cruisin'dj

mike,
my wife and i will be joining you (and debbie) on oct 28th, and are looking forward to a great cruise. regardless of waiting in lines for security, or even a concerned crew, i have been waiting a year for this cruise, and i am determined to make the most of my vacation.
as far as cancelling, follow what your head and heart say. if they say stay on dry land, then do so.
if that is the case, i will hoist an ambrella clad drink to you, and say wish you were here, somehwere in the western carribbean.

cruisin dj
Old October 12th, 2001, 10:47 AM
First Mate

Gary and I are planning to sail on the Grand Princess on Nov.4th. This will be our honeymoon! We are coming in from Alex. VA and have full confidence in the cruise line. I must say, our confidence level is high - given it is our first cruise.

Mike, can you tell me what you enjoyed most onboard the ship. We will be staying on the Aloha Deck.

The sightseeing and snorkeling is what we are most interested in. We would really like to hear from you.
Old October 13th, 2001, 10:55 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to Bob

skooter, i'm also from NY (Westchester county) and will be on GP 11/11. Maybe we'll bump into each other!!
bob
Old October 13th, 2001, 12:33 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Mark Send a message via Yahoo to Mark

We sailed on Grand Princess on 30 Sep.
Although advertised as a full ship (isn't it always?) there were a few cabins that were empty - based on the stack of Princess Patters and flyers for the spa/stores that were stacked up by some cabin doors. I'm guessing the ship was at least 95% full.
Security while boarding the ship in FLL and the ports of call checked ID's and carry-on bags was good. We didn't find Security procedures with the airports or ship to be a bother during our trip.
The staff throughout the ship is very pleasant and they gave us no cause to worry about security throughout our vacation.
I'd recommend that you proceed with your cruise and enjoy yourself while on board.
Mark
Old October 16th, 2001, 10:08 AM
Passenger

Hi, We just returned from Grand Oct 7-14! The ship was full and was full for this week as well. I know because people were inquiring about staying on another week and were turned down. Also on the last day when we went back to our cabin after breakfast to pick up our carry ons the steward had already put the names of the new passengers on the mailbox! The staff is very friendly and are acting as business as usual. I saw no signs of nervousness. The security has been stepped up and they have security stations on the pier in each port before re-boarding the ship with metal detectors and wands. They were also checking to see your cruise card about mid pier as you approched the check point to make sure you belong on the pier!
Also, Grand Princess has photo ID attached to your cruise card and you punch in and out everytime you get on and off and they check you against your picture that comes up on their screen. It was all very secure and yet not a problem for anyone. If you have any further questions please feel free to write me. If you cancel you can be sure someone else will be more than happy to take your cabin...so go and enjoy. We found that in these time cruising really lives up to the escape from reality!
Marci