Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 12th, 2001, 10:47 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Disembarking

Can anyone tell me how quickly the disembarking procedures are going since September 11th? I am going to be on the Golden in December and I have a flight booked home @ 1:00 pm. The last time I cruised with princess (last year) I was off the ship by 9:30 and pretty much at the airport by 10:30. I was just wondering if things were going as smooth with all the tighten security.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old October 12th, 2001, 10:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Disembarking

I am also interested in knowing how long it is taking to disembark in Ft. Lauderdale - Am booked on Sun Princess Christmas cruise and have not made air reservations yet - The ship is scheduled to return to Ft. Lauderdale at 6:00am - Does a 12:45 flight give me enough time to disembark and get to airport 2 hrs ahead of time?
Old October 13th, 2001, 08:32 AM
Admiral

A friend of mine is on the Grand with me in November. He has a 10:45 flight. He called Princess to see if the "recommendations for flights" have changed and they said he should be able to make any flight after 10:30.

You can call them directly and see if they have changed their recommendations. I would not worry about a noon - 1 pm. flight. Mine is at 3 and I wish I had an earlier flight.
Old October 13th, 2001, 12:46 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Mark Send a message via Yahoo to Mark

We were on the 30 Sep sailing on Grand Princess and disembarked on 7 Oct.
The ship crew told us that they normally start disembarking the ship at 8:00 am, but on our trip we had to wait until 8:45 am for some US citizens who were late presenting themselves at US Immigration - everyone must do this before passengers are allowed to leave the ship.
We were off the ship just before 9 and then took a taxi to Fort Lauderdale airport. After waiting in the line to check in with the airline, then waiting to proceed to go through the security check to the boarding areas, we were at our boarding gate at 10 am. That would have made for a suitable arrival for a 10:30 flight.
We originally had a 10:50 return flight, but had it changed to a 12:30 departure. We would have easily made the 10:50 flight, but at least we didn't have to worry about making the flight while we were on board the ship all week.
Other notes:
Some airlines were doing curbside check in on 7 Oct at FLL, although we didn't use that service.
The Princess facility for picking up luggage could be organized in a much better fashion.

I'm sure you'll have no problem making your flight.
Mark
Old October 13th, 2001, 01:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks for your responses - now I know which flight to book.
Old October 13th, 2001, 07:52 PM
Admiral

Mary,

A 12:45 flight should be no problem at all. You probably will be to the airport by 10:30 or so, especially in Fort Lauderdale where the airport is only about five minutes from the pier by motorcoach.

Norm.
Old October 13th, 2001, 07:56 PM
Admiral

Mary,

BTW, you should also be aware that Princess does offer some tours en route from the pier to the airport in Fort Lauderdale (and also in San Juan) for passengers whose flights are later in the day. These tours require various departure times of 1:00 PM or later.

Norm.