Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 17th, 2001, 07:46 PM
slotl

Default 2002 Cruise Cancellations

We were just notified by the cruise line that our back-to-back Regal Princess cruises in 2002 were cancelled.

Aug, 11, 2002 (Baltic - including Copenhagan, Helsinki, St. Petersburg, Tallinn, Gdansk, and Oslo)
Aug 21, 2002 (TransAtlantic - Dover, Plymouth, Dublin, Belfast, Glasgow, Reykjavik, Greenland, St. John's and end NY)

These are not 'dangerous' ports in the middle of the conflict area.

Has anyone else had their long-term cruise plans cancelled by the cruise lines?

I wonder of the Holland America cancelled their Baltic routes for 2002?
Sponsored Links
Old October 18th, 2001, 10:30 PM
Admiral

Default Re: 2002 Cruise Cancellations

slotl,

Sorry to hear that your cruise was cancelled, but check out the European itineraries of MV Royal Princess and MV Golden Princess if you still want to go to Europe. MV Royal Princess has some very unusual itineraries around the North Sea, Scandanavia, and Western Europe!

You are absolutely right about the "baltic" ports not being dangerous, at least righ tnow. The problem is that MV Regal Princess currently is in the Western Pacific, and will be there through the winter. She was scheduled to go across the Indian Ocean and through the Suez Canal to Rome on a long (30-day?) cruise in April in order to get to Europe. With the action in the Arabian Sea (an arm of the Indian Ocean), that itineriary just would not do. The result is that she's staying in the Pacific instead. She's offering ten-day Alaska/Canada cruises from San Francisco for the summer 2002 cruise season, and returning to the Western Pacific in the fall of 2002 for the fall/winter/spring 2002-2003 season, taking over the cruises originally assigned to MV Sun Princess.

In a ripple effect, MV Sun Princess will offer several ten-day "Mexican Riviera" cruises (round trip from Los Angeles), two fifteen-day "Hawaii" cruises (also round trip from Los Angeles), and two fifteen-day "Panama Canal" cruises (between Los Angeles and Fort Lauderdale, one eastbound and one westbound).

MV Regal Princess is scheduled to go to a new sister line in the German cruise market, A'Rosa, in the spring of 2003. A'Rosa will receive sister MV Crown Princess in the spring of 2002. The details have not been announced as yet, but I suspect that MV Regal Princess will return to North America, go through the Panama Canal, and cross the Atlantic in the spring of 2003 to get to Europe rather than taking the orignally scheduled route across the Indian Ocean.

Norm.
Old October 19th, 2001, 10:13 AM
First Mate

We were booked on the Regal April 11 (Bangkok - Rome) but Princess has not yet contacted my TA ... he found out from me the cruise was cancelled.

Were you offered any compensation toward a future booking?... and if so, how much?
Old October 19th, 2001, 01:02 PM
slotl

Big deal!!! Got our deposit back and 10% off our next Princess Cruise.

Definitely not worth the pain of the trip cancellation.
Old October 19th, 2001, 03:13 PM
First Mate

Slotl wrote, "Big deal!!! Got our deposit back and 10% off our next Princess Cruise.

"Definitely not worth the pain of the trip cancellation."

I am not sure I am reading your post correctly so please correct me if I perceived it wrong.

You booked, and paid the deposit. Had you made any final payments? If not, and the line is giving you back your deposit plus 10% off a future cruise, you have not lost any monetary value. Technically, if the cruise line cancels, while they have to give your deposit back, they certianly do not have to give you 10% off a future cruise!!

I can understand the downside to having a cruise cancelled, especially one that you were looking forward too, however if you are not happy, I am sure you could find other lines that may offer those same initernaries. You could just book with them.
Old October 19th, 2001, 06:05 PM
slotl

I am not disappointed $$ wise. It was an opportunity for back-to-back cruises to our #1 and #2 destinations.

HAL also cancelled the Amsterdam Baltic cruises which were our 'other' alternative. The only HAL ship still in the Baltics is the Noordam which we were on in May (Istanbul to Rome - Turkey and Greek isles for Ancient ruins) and November, 2000 (Rome to Lisbon). Although the food and service were excellent, it is still an older ship with most rooms having twin bed only acommodations. I would prefer a newer ship with more amenities. I had been on the Regal Princess before and I really liked the refridgerators and robes in every stateroom.

I am now looking into Celebrity and RCI, but both do NOT offer back to back TransAtlantic via British Isles, Iceland, Greenland, St. Johns)

I would have expected the Baltic and TransAtlantic routes to be secure. I am grateful that I did Eastern Med in May of this year.
Old October 19th, 2001, 08:19 PM
slotl

Fortunately, (or unfortunately), my husband and I have cruised Europe many times in the last few years. We were on the MS Noordam (Holland America) this past May and visited the Eastern Med (Istanbul to Rome - focusing on the Greek Isles and not the Holy Land which we had done previously on the
Stella Stolaris r/t Athens in the early '80's)

In Nov, 2000 we were also on the Noordam visiting the Western Med (Rome to Lisbon), and in June, 2000 we did the Fjords of Norway up to the North Cape on RCI Splendour of the Seas.

In 1996 we did TransAtlantic (NY to South Hampton) on the SS Norway on it's 30th Anniversary return to LeHavre France)

The Baltics and TransAtlantic via the British Isles, Greenland, Iceland, and Canada were our next cruise location priorities.

The HAL Amsterdam also had a similar 2002 itinerary thru the Baltics and TransAtlantic, but I understand this also has been cancelled and the Amsterdam will also be cruising Alaska next summer. (We did Alaska in the very early '80's on the old Rotterdam). I understand the Noordam will still continue in the Baltics, but I don't want to go on her a 3rd time in a row.
The majority of rooms on the Noordam contain twin beds which cannot be made into a queen size bed. It is an older ship and physically lacks some of today's expected ammenities of newer ships. But.... she does make up for it in food quality and service. I was amazed on our May cruise that quite a
few of the staff from our November,2000 cruise were still on board and actually remembered us. Now that is service!!!

Our third priority location for cruising is Sydney to Singapore. We have cruised Australia/New Zealand for the millineum (celebrating the new year twice by crossing the date line) and then the Americas Cup in Aukland.
Loved the cruise, the area of the world, etc..... but it was very far to get there. We live in Atlanta and used Delta frequent flyer miles to get there. We traveled on their partner Air Korea and needed to stop in Seoul. Spent a few days there -- ugh in the wintertime, on our way to Sydney and home from Aukland. 36 hours on the return (oh by the way, Air Korea goes from Atlanta to Chicago before it crosses the Pacific to Seoul -- same on
the return).

Needless to say -- we are very disappointed about the cancellation. We are now checking RCI to see if they will continue in the Baltics. We did not like their itinery since it was r/t England and not Copenhagan. This was more days at sea and less ports of call. Celebrity cancelled the Galaxy in Europe next summer.

I am sorry to hear that the Regal Princess is being 'sold'. We had cruised her in the Caribbean and loved the idea of refridgerators and robes in every room. She is a great ship!!
Old October 20th, 2001, 10:18 AM
First Mate

It seems you were lucky to get 10% off a future booking. I have heard from our TA and Princess is offering us NOTHING... we had booked the 30-day Regal cruise with air and 3-day pre-cruise hotel stay.
Old October 20th, 2001, 09:15 PM
First Mate

oh, ok, that does make more sense. We have a "Travel Wish List" too, but at the moment we are still working on #1. (smile) we got started slightly late!!