Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 21st, 2001, 01:02 PM
Hood

Default Personal Choice Dining and Tipping

This will be our first Princess Cruise (10/27 - can't wait) and we are wondering how we tip our dining staff if we choose Personal Choice Dining? Do you tip daily?

Any help would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Old October 21st, 2001, 01:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Personal Choice Dining and Tipping

Hi Hook,
For normal traditional dinning you would just tip them all the last night out, but on these Princess ships that do the PC dinning, they take the tips out on your sign/sail cards for your waiter and asst. waiter, so they will get their tips that way. I think you will just have to tip your cabin stewart on the last night, you can just leave it in your cabin, he/she will certainly find it.

Are you doing the PC dinning? I can see the point in the pre-tipping, you most likely will not have the same wait staff every nite if you use the PC dinning.
Hope you enjoy your first Princess cruise.

DOnna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old October 21st, 2001, 04:32 PM
Captain

Princess will automatically bill your account for tips regardless of whether you have Personal Choice Dining or Traditional Dining. If you do not want this tell the Pursers desk and they will not bill you for it. If you wish to change the amount you can tell the Pursers desk. You can take the amount off your account at the Pursers desk and go to any of the bars and request an amount of your choosing be billed to your account. If you go to the bar they will give you a receipt with the persons name that you wish to tip. You than give this receipt in an envelope to the person you wish to tip and they turn it in to get their reciept. You can still give cash in an envelope if you wish.

The automatic tip is only good for dining staff. You give an envelope to your room steward. For the room steward you can give cash or go to the bar and get the receipt so it is billed to your account.
Old October 21st, 2001, 04:48 PM
First Mate

My travel agent told me that they automatically charge you 6.50USD per person per day. This covers all the dining room wait staff ( head waiter or matre'd, waiter and assistant waiter). I'm sure you can add more if you feel it is deserved. You have to tip your cabin steward accordingly. I believe the customary tipping guideline is 3.50USD per person per day. I hope this helps.
Old October 27th, 2001, 06:36 PM
MaryEllen

Could I have a clarification re tipping the room steward? Did you mean that I could go to the bar and add his/her tip to my shipboard account? That is so much more convenient than having to carry around extra cash just for tipping onboard.
ME
Old October 27th, 2001, 11:24 PM
Admiral

MaryEllen,

Yes, that's essentially correct. The bartender will give you a receipt for the amount of the tip. You put the receipt in a tip envelope and present it to your cabin steward, who turns in the receipt for cash. You also can use this procedure to tip any other members of the staff who might have provided extraordinary service during your cruise.

Norm.
Old October 27th, 2001, 11:27 PM
Admiral

Kathy,

That's essentially correct, with the added caveat that you can raise or lower the amount of the tip simply by stopping by the Purser's Desk and asking a staff member there to make the appropriate adjustment.

If you opt for traditional dining (either early or main seating), you also can ask the purser's staff to remove the aotumatic tip completely (that is, reduce it to zero), then tip your waiter and assistant in the traditional way.

Norm.