Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 22nd, 2001, 03:50 PM
Admiral

Default Princess wants too much Personal Info.

I just got my papers from Princess for my 11/17 cruise on Golden and they are asking for too much personal information. Has anyone filled out the Pre-Cruise Information papers?

They say that the forms have to be completed in full and returned to Princess for my cruise tickets to be mailed to me.

I have no problem filling out forms but some of the info is not required in my opinion.

For example, why do I have to give them my Social Security Number?! Anyone with this info and my date of birth can do anything they want with my identity!!

Other questions that are inappropriate:

Am I retired?
Occupation
How many cruises have I been on?
Marital Status

Most of these questions are for marketing purposes only and are not required to go down to the Carribbean.

Can anyone tell me what is the bare minimum amount of information that I need to give to them?
Sponsored Links
Old October 22nd, 2001, 04:22 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Princess wants too much Personal Info.

I never give them my Social Insurance Number (Canada)... and it's none of their damn business how much I make.
Old October 22nd, 2001, 04:38 PM
First Mate

Rick,
All I would give them is your Date of Birth, Passport # and dates of issue and expire. A Contact name and Address and phone #. And if you wish your credit card # and exp date. (This one only if you want express check in) By the way you can put all this information online at www.princess.com enter your booking # First and last name. No need to fill out forms at all.

Michael
Old October 22nd, 2001, 04:58 PM
redbird

I also give only the essential info, as Michael indicates. The rest of the questions are unnecessary and I leave them blank. Nobody has ever challanged my blank responses on 9 Princess cruises.
Old October 22nd, 2001, 05:23 PM
sailinglisa

Just fill out the necessary info - if you fill this out on their web site you only have to give basic information. You don't have to answer all the marketing questions. There is an optional section on the website where you can answer those questions if you choose to.
After my first princess cruise, I only answered the questions related to immigration and emergency contact and credit card # and was never held up in any way because of the unanswered questions.
Old October 22nd, 2001, 10:32 PM
Admiral

All passenger lists are now being vetted by the FBI in Washington for all sailings from U.S. Ports. Part of this vetting process in the SS # for U.S. Citizens and residents. It is now a security issue and I would hope it is one that they strictly enforce, given the circumstances in which we are living. Of all the non-issues I've seen on the boards of late, this one may "take the cake"!
Old October 23rd, 2001, 12:07 AM
Rob H

A point is being made here as to what is mandatory or not.
Ones passport should be sufficient as you needed other info to obtain it in the first place.

If the SS # is needed for immigration purposes then that should be noted by the requester and also noted it will be destroyed off the databases after its purpose.
The same holds true for one CC information in the only reason you give it is for that sailing's express checkin and billing.

Part of a democratic society is ones right to question the reason for information especially a business form.
People are sometimes given so many forms to fill in for a researchers dream that we do not question it and by right its info about us and belongs to us.

cheers
Old October 23rd, 2001, 12:10 PM
10X

I tried this in February and when we went to embark, I found they didn't have the information. I ended up having to complete the forms before we could board.

I also used the site for booking shore excursions, which did work. Apparently if they make money off it, it works. If they don't, it may not.
Old October 23rd, 2001, 03:51 PM
First Mate

I have to agree with ErnieMCC.........after waht happened on September 11th alot of what used to be isn't anymore. If they ask for certain information, they are ASKING FOR A REASON Would not want to be on a ship with one of those crazy nuts that we are fighting. THEY took away a lot of our freedom that day and we all have to pay a price for it. I WOULD RATHER BE SAFE THAN SORRY.
Old October 23rd, 2001, 06:21 PM
First Mate

Princess may just simply want to put you, the passenger, at the dinner table with people with similarites.
BTW occupation is what you do, not how much you make, since no two people doing the same job make the same salary.

Can you image if you were a abortion advocacy attorney and your table mate was a southern baptist minister? Yes you could get it changed, but if Princess knew before hand what you did for a living, you would not have wound up at that table.

If you do not want to put the information.....don't. It's really that simple I think.

Just my opinion, don't everyone start yelling at once!!!
Old October 26th, 2001, 01:43 AM
Rob H

Only 3 weeks left
just got my tickets today, minimal info req'd and I updated profile online.
I did ignore social ins number as I have a passport
nice part was my TA shaved 5 years off my wife's age on the booking summary

Rob