Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 19th, 2001, 10:06 AM
Rod Trier

Default Crown Princess-Tahiti Trip

Has anyone taken the Crown on the Tahiti to Hawaii trip? We will be going on the Feb. 17, 2002 cruise. Any commments, recommendations? Do we have to do our own baggage transfers from Los Angeles to Tahiti.
Thanks,
Rod
Sponsored Links
Old November 20th, 2001, 03:05 AM
Aussie Traveller

Default Re: Crown Princess-Tahiti Trip

Hi Rod,

I'm booked on the cruise prior to your one, departing Honolulu on Feb 5th arriving Papeete on 17th.......I cant help you here with your question but there is a person over on Cruise Addicts by the name of CruisingBryan who is departing this coming Sunday on the Crown, from Honolulu to Papeete, a few of us are eagerly awaiting his return on Dec 9th to hear what it was like, as a group of us are travelling together, my cruising companions will be returning to Honolulu after I depart, on your cruise....their board names are Toto & Pudgey.....you may want drop in over there and have a chat to them.

go to www.cruise-addicts.com

Glenn
Aussie Traveller
Sydney Australia
Old November 20th, 2001, 02:48 PM
First Mate

Hello!

I did this trip in Oct 1998 Tahiti-Hawaii and loved it. Can' t say anything about the Princess transfer as I flew in a couple of days early and spent the time on Moorea.
The ferry docks right next to the cruise ship and I used the local buses in Tahiti and on Moorea.

Facilities at the Tahiti airport are minimal and Princess keeps passengers on the ship until charter flights arrive. I boarded about 3pm but passengers were still arriving until midnight. That is why the ship spends overnight in Papeete until everyone arrives aboard. I would certainly recommend coming in early like I did to make things easier if at all possible.

Tahiti didn't impress me but Moorea and Bora Bora are fantastic. I took the 4x4 tours on both islands, if you do one do Bora Bora. I loved the stop at Christmas Island but there is absolutely nothing here. This is one of those places you either love or hate and I was in the minority. No tours were offered here as there is really not even a town and no facilities. I took a $5 "tour" in the back of a pickup truck and loved it. If this is not your thing just treat it as another sea day.

Lots to do in Hawaii, I did all the volcano tours. If I have another chance the one thing I would not miss would be a helicopter tour on Kaui.

Email with any more questions

Doug Hembroff
Old November 20th, 2001, 08:10 PM
susancruzs

Took that trip in 99 and it was great! I agree with Doug and recommend the jeep trips, they are definitely worth it. I really enjoyed Christmas Island, Princess kind of down plays it but it is worth going ashore, walking around. The people are so glad to see you, I found it interesting. When I arrived in LA, I had to get my luggage and re-check it in for the charter flight. With recent events, I'm sure that will still be the system. If I had to do it again, I'd try to go a day early at least. I was on a charter flight that sat on the ground for 1 1/2 hrs. before we left - long time to be cooped up on a plane (500 of us). When we got to the ship all these people were still on that couldn't get off because of the flight delays, it was a mess. The islands and people were great, Bora Bora and Moorea were super. I will do the So. Pacific again sometime. Sue