Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 21st, 2001, 11:43 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default ocean princess movement

I have been reading several reviews about the movement of the ocean princess,saying that it moves from side to side a lot. I have a suite booked for 4/9 on a 10 day,which is in the back of the ship.I have always stayed mid-ship.Will this be a problem,can anyone offer any advice,or someone who has been on this ship can tell me if this is really true.Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old November 21st, 2001, 01:53 PM
Admiral

Default Re: ocean princess movement

I just got off Ocean Princess 10 days ago. She does not rock or roll any more or less than any other ship of her size and class.
We were skirting around with Hurricane Michelle (never near it but got some swells etc). Sometimes I wondered if I was on the same ship as other people as each morning you would hear people complain about the bumps the night before while others (like me)
felt that given the seas we encountered it was a nice ride.
I don't think you will experience a bad ride where you are staying.
Enjoy your trip.
Old November 21st, 2001, 04:28 PM
First Mate

We spent 22 days in an extreme aft room on her and she does not roll any more than can be expected - some people writing reviews are idiots and just too sensitive. They seem to forget they were on a SHIP!!!
Old November 21st, 2001, 05:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

thank you so much for your input,it makes me feel much better!
Old November 22nd, 2001, 12:52 AM
Admiral

I stayed in an aft mini-suite on the Ocean Princess last Jan. I have also stayed on a mini-suite midships. There is definitely more movement in the aft than there was midships. There seemed to be more of a shifting from side to side movement rather than the rolling movement I encountered midships. However, I did not find this to be overbearing. You are on a ship and some movement is to be expected.
I found this to be so distressing (tongue in cheek) I booked a suite (right next door) for my March 30th Ocean Princess adventure. What suite do you have booked? I'm in C749. My in-laws stayed in suite C746 on the Jan cruise. You won't believe the size of the balconies. In addition the suites are wonderful. If you happen to follow me in the same suite, you will be able to see the scratch marks on the carpeting where they dragged me out kicking, screaming, crying and grabbing on anything I could get my hands on. If there is a delay on getting into your cabin, relax they are still trying to offload me. I'm a big boy and I figure it will take about 8 or 9 of them working in shifts to get me out. Last time they had to get the tranquilizer gun out and I heard them muttering something about an elephant load. Still trying to figure that one out. You are going to have a great time.
PS. Don't worry about the wet carpets, I promise it will just be my wife's and my tears from having to leave this wonderful ship.
Old November 22nd, 2001, 05:41 PM
Suzie

Ron,

I have booked cabin C 746 - Capri on the 04-19 Panama Canal cruise. Had some friends that bunked there for 10 days and they didn't want to leave either! The aft cabins are the BEST!! What a view and a balcony that won't quit! bathroom to die for! I'm gushing! Can't wait!

Suzie
Old November 23rd, 2001, 12:17 PM
First Mate

I cruised on Ocean last year. The only rocking side to side was when we left the harbor in San Juan. Within a min. or 2 they turned the stabilizer on (little wings under the water line). That stopped the rocking
Old November 26th, 2001, 06:44 AM
Yeoman

Sorry to say that we felt more movement on this ship than any other of the Princess ships that we have sailed on. We just did the 10 day eastern Caribbean on 10/11/01, granted we had a bit of rain almost every day that may have contributed to the movement, but we heard a number of other passengers wondering out loud if the stabilizers were even being used! We were in cabin D737, only a short skip and a jump from the suites. It wasn't unbearable but it was noticeable, but who cares, I'll take a cruise over "dry land" anytime.
Old November 27th, 2001, 03:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Ron,
You'll never believe it but I am booked in C749 for April 9th! What a coincidence! The balconies look very big and I guess they are! You'll have to leave me a note,letting me know how the cruise was, and any tips! I'm sure they will have to drag us out of there too! I may even get to meet you,you may still be there!Are you doing the personal choice dining?
Old November 29th, 2001, 12:22 AM
First Mate

Shelley-
I have traveled 8 times with Princess in the past few years, and the majority of those cruises have been on the Ocean or one of the other Sun Class ships. We have stayed in an aft suite (most commonly C749) every time and not had any problems with movement. There will always be more movement far forward or far aft on any ship that there is in the center of the ship, but it will not be enough to hinder your trip in any way. The most important factor in determining the amount of movement that is felt on a ship that size is the weather/sea conditions. April should not be too bad- beginging of rainy season in some parts of the Carribean, but not yet hurricane season. You may notice some vibration in that room, especially when the ship is just leaving port, but it is minor and you get used to it quick. Enjoy the trip!

David
Old December 16th, 2001, 09:57 PM
Yeoman

Hi Shelly,
My husband and I are booked on this cruise too. If you would like to meet, leave a message here and I will check for it. By the way, I think April is a good time to cruise. Calm water, little wind, no hurricanes!

Cheryl