Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 24th, 2001, 06:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default "Love Boat Sampler" Cruises?

I've never tried Princess, but have found two "sampler" cruises on the Princess website, both in September of '02, Vancouver to San Francisco, on the Ocean Princess. Both depart Vancouver at 4pm, spend one day at sea and arrive in SF at 10am the next day. Would this be a good introduction to Princess? (I live in San Francisco, so it only involves flying from SF to Vancouver.)

Any thoughts on the Ocean Princess, is she anybody's favorite ship, and if so, why? All responses appreciated!

Ken
Sponsored Links
Old November 24th, 2001, 06:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: "Love Boat Sampler" Cruises?

Hi Ken,
I think for you, one of these cruises would be a great way to sample Princess. Was on Ocean Princess last year and she's a beautiful ship, think you will like it, food and service was exceptional. You also will save a ton on not having to fly anywhere, so I'd sure give it a try if the price is right.

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old November 24th, 2001, 09:01 PM
Sue & Bill

We will be on Ocean Princess, out of San Fran, on May 4, 2002 for a 2-day sampler aka Coastal to Vancouver. Then we will continue for an Inside Passage out of Vancouver on May 6, 2002 on Ocean Princess. The Coastals are sort of like a repositioning. Sure is a great opportunity for anyone who thinks they might like cruising, but not too long just in case cruising is not for you.
Old November 24th, 2001, 09:03 PM
Sue & Bill

I forgot to say that I have sailed on Ocean, Dawn and Sea Princess. They are just about the greatest cruise ships sailing. IMHO.......Any questions, please e-mail. I love to talk about cruising and especially Princess.....Sue...
Old November 24th, 2001, 09:29 PM
Admiral

Ken,

MV Ocean Princess is a great ship, but two days is hardly enough time to get the flavor of either the ship or the line. I recommend going for at least a week!

Norm.
Old November 24th, 2001, 09:46 PM
First Mate

I would NOT recommend taking one of these cruises to get a taste of what Princess is really like. We were on the 3-day (LA -Vancouver) 'Coastal' as part of the spring Panama Canal repositioning on the Ocean Princess and this segment was definately a poor cousin to a 'real cruise'. Most noticible was the food selection and quality suffered drastically. There was no lobster or crab served and remarkably, menu items were repeated two nights in a row! I don't know what they are thinking but this is not the way to attract or convert cruisers. Ironically, per diem, these days were the most expensive of the 22 we were on the ship.
Old November 25th, 2001, 03:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks to everyone for the input on this. I should have explained a little better, our first cruise was last May (a case of instant addiction, which I feel pretty sure is understood by all the folks on this board) and our next one is 11 days on the Summit next May. The 11 day cruise wipes out my accrued vacation time for next year, so a second long cruise isn't possible. So, my options are either taking only one cruise next year or, by adding on this three-day jaunt, two.

Bumble Bee, while the food is very important I'm also very interested in the ship itself, maybe even more than the food and I hear the Ocean Princess is, as a friend of mine put it in an email, "gawjuss, just gawjuss". That, plus a shot of cheap air one-way from SFO to Vancouver means that though the per diem for the cruise may be high, one-way air travel expense will be minimal.

I'll hear back from my TA tomorrow on pricing and what's available and then make up my mind. Then again, the question is if I want to spend the weekend on land or at sea... and I already know the answer to THAT one.
Old November 25th, 2001, 04:42 PM
BEAV

Sue and Bill,

Are there back-to-back discounts when combining the Sampler cruises with the 7-day Alaska sailings?
Old November 25th, 2001, 06:06 PM
Sue & Bill

BEAV...That would be nice......But I am unaware of any discount for combining the two cruises. Actually the Inside Passage portion is just 6 days and not the standard 7. Our Coastal & Inside Passage will total 9 days (8 nights). We chose the Ocean because we have sailed her before. We chose embarkation in San Francisco because that is our favorite town. We chose the Inside Passage because that is our favorite destination. Also the Ocean Inside Passage leaves Vancouver and only stops in Juneau & Sitka. We love sea days and not the port intensive itinearies. That is what is so great about some of the repositioning and sampler cruises. You can stack them to suit your personal needs. If you should hear of any discounts for back-to-back, please let me know.....
Old November 28th, 2001, 11:23 AM
Elizabeth 74

We are going on the Dawn Princess this Saturday. When did you go last and
do you know what the show that is currently being done? I've seen somewhere mention of the show Pirates and Odyssea. Are they still doing the same ones?

Any tips about the Dawn that you can give me would be appreciated. We are doing the Personal Choice since we enjoyed it last time on the Grand last Jan.

Happy Cruising

Betsy