Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 26th, 2001, 01:20 PM
First Mate

Default Shangri-La (Bangkok) Hotel Package

We have a 3-night, pre-cruise hotel package at the Shangri-La in Bangkok before our Regal Princess (Bangkok - Tokyo - San Francisco) back-to-backs.

Has anyone done the same package... and how was it? What would you recommend to do for the two days in Bangkok? I understand Laem Chabang is quite a distance from Bangkok... does the transfer leave the hotel early on embarkation day?
Sponsored Links
Old November 26th, 2001, 02:36 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Shangri-La (Bangkok) Hotel Package

Hi Bill, We were at Laem Chabang in 1997 on Sky Princess, we took a local tour and didn't go into Bangkok; if I remember correctly the distance wasn't that great (60 miles???) but the traffic is so bad it took approx 3 hours, much the same
situation you can expect in Saigon..... Cheers Jake
Old November 26th, 2001, 08:16 PM
JohnLauben

Default Re: Shangri-La (Bangkok) Hotel Package

I took this package in 11/2000, prior to the REGAL PRINCESS from Bangkok to Sydney. The hotel is great, although not that well located, tourist-wise. I used my own air, and arrived around noon on day 1, as did about 100 other passengers. About another 200 (or so) arrived a little after midnight. I used this day to sleep off the jet lag (from NYC ... 12 hours difference, and a 28 hour overall flight time, non-DST). I ate in the hotel (quite a few restaurants there), and picked up some supplies at the local 7-eleven (about a 5 minute walk from the hotel). The next day, they offered quite a few optional tours. The following day included an all-day city tour (left around 8AM), with lunch included, arriving back at the hotel sometime between 3PM and 4PM. Cruise check-in was done at the hotel this afternoon. The following day was the transfer day. As I recall, the buses left right after breakfast (around 7:30AM) ... luggage outside the night before! It was about a 2 hour drive to a cultural show and botanical gardens. Lunch was included at the Pattaya Beach Resort Hotel, and there was a short tour around the Pattaya Beach area. The buses arrived at the ship around 4PM. Laem Chabang is about 80 miles from Bangkok, with quite a bit of traffic around Bangkok and Pattaya Beach. The terminal at Laem Chabang is essentially a large container terminal. There's no local shopping there, although a few vendors set up shop on departure days. Pick up your own supplies before leaving Bangkok ... the 7-eleven has good prices. (You need to pick up drinking water there anyway, since they recommend that you don't drink the tap water in Bangkok!) It'll be close to dinner time (for 1st sitting, anyway) and muster drill time when you arrive, but there will be snacks available in the Cafe del Sol (if you are so inclined). Anyway, this is a great package, and it shouldn't be missed, if you have the opportunity.