Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 6th, 2001, 02:02 PM
Admiral

Default GOLDEN - Favorite and Least Favorite Thing About H

I was just on Golden for Thanksgiving. I would like to know other people's impressions.

My favorite thing about her was the Allistair the Cruise director, he was extremely entertaining

My least favorite were the lounge chair hogs. I say if you are caught saving a chair for more than 20 minutes and you are not wet when you get back you should be charged $20 for being a hog.

Let me know your impressions.
Sponsored Links
Old December 6th, 2001, 04:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: GOLDEN - Favorite and Least Favorite Thing Abo

Hi Rick,
Will be on Golden in a few short weeks, by chance do you know if the same CD will still be onboard? He sounds like a lot of fun.

I'm with you on the lounge chair situation, my biggest cruise gripe!

Tuesday Chat Host
Old December 6th, 2001, 05:29 PM
Admiral

Donna I think he will be there. It sounds like he's always on Golden.
Old December 6th, 2001, 05:50 PM
Dawn24

I was on the Thanksgiving Golden too! The chair hogs were terrible. I actually heard one of them screaming at a group of other passengers because they "took their seats". She was in street clothes and obviously not even at the pool. We had been there for over an hour and hadn't seen any of their party. Her stuff was still on a chair. One of the staff had to get her to quit screaming at this innocent lady. She had to gather some chairs together for her party and she was slamming them around. She put some stuff on them and it was another 40 minutes before any of them showed up. Ridiculous!
Old December 6th, 2001, 07:24 PM
Admiral

Hi Rick,
Thanks, I hope he is still there, will let you know what I think of him, OK?

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old December 7th, 2001, 12:20 PM
First Mate

Yikes!

We are sailing in a week -- and hoped the ship wouldnt be full -- looks like it is.

ANyone guess what the average age of passengers is? Never sailed on Princess before--

Do you have to haul your beach towels to the pool? Are there no pool towels at all???
Old December 7th, 2001, 01:11 PM
Admiral

Hi Barb,
You will definately have to tell us all about Golden when you return, have a ball. As for the pool towels, last time on Princess, our cabin attendant left us fresh ones every evening, so yea, you had to take them with you to the pool and then just bring them back to the cabin. That night you'll get another set of clean ones. You can also grab them to take on any shore excersions too.

Have Fun!

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old December 7th, 2001, 02:47 PM
sailinglisa

Barb - there is a wide variety of ages on Princess. Yes, you do have to take your towel to the pool. Don't worry if the ship is full - there are plenty of places to hide out. Go to the Terrace Pool (aft - adult only) - always plenty of places to relax and it is close to Horizon Court for food. That was my favorite outdoor area on the ship!!
Old December 7th, 2001, 11:54 PM
Another George

My favorite thing was the food. We also had an exceptional waiter and assistant in the Canneletto dining room. I did miss the traditional dining that we've enjoyed on other ships. We had requested a table for eight and ended up at a table for four by ourselves. We remedied this by inviting others to join us at dinner a couple of nights. The one breakfast we ate in the Donnatello dining room was a big disappointment. The breakfasts in the Horizon Court were much much better.

One of my least favorite things were the wild children in the pool. Their parents were either not there or otherwise were oblivious to their actions. It seems to me that Princess would have some staff on hand to supervise them since otherwise it could be a big liability if anything happened. I did scold a couple and pointed out the rules to them and asked if their parents were there since children weren't allowed in the pool without supervision. Their mother was in the hot tub and not paying any attention to them.

I did wish that there were towels at the pool (like on Celebrity) instead of having to bring them up from the cabin. I also wished that there were more nonsmoking places, especially in the smaller lounges. And the cheap chairs on our balcony should have been better. (Our neighbors ended up with a lounge chair from the pool--giving us one of their cheap chairs.)

My very least favorite thing is that it ended way too soon. Next time we'll have to book a longer cruise.

George
Old December 10th, 2001, 09:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

Rick and George,
I agree 100% that it ended way to soon. Rick I was on the 11/17/01 sailing with you.

Did they actully charge people 20.00 for saving chairs? We did sit and watch some chairs for 20 minutes and nobody was using them so we moved the stuff to the bench near the pool and had a seat. About 15 minutes later 2 rather large and loud men came out and were upset with us for taking the chairs. There are signs evrywhere that warn about saving chairs. After 20 minutes of being empty they can become anybody chairs.

She was rather full and at times there were children running outside our cabin D-216. It was uncalled for. I had my 9 year old and she even said that they should,'t be running in the hall. When I looked out the children were older than her.

We are thinking really seriously about going again the same time next year. I was told that a lot of people book again on the Golden/Grand when they get off.
Old December 12th, 2001, 07:49 AM
Jeff Coudriet

No pool area towels...you have to haul them around from your room!
Old December 17th, 2001, 10:01 PM
Passenger

We just returned from Golden ( Dec 8 sailing). New Year's cruise will be Cruise Director's last cruise. He was funny and entertaining. Lounge hogs were my biggest gripe. Balconies soooooo worth it. Balcony was my favorite part. (Caribe deck)

Sue
Old December 18th, 2001, 12:51 AM
Cruise Maniac

Allister is leaving?!? I was on the same cruise as you and didn't catch that. He makes that ship. I was surprised to hear about all the ppl leaving but I missed the mention of him leaving. I am bummed.... who will milk the cow?!?
Old December 18th, 2001, 07:44 AM
Admiral

Hey Rob,
I'll bite, whats with "milk the cow"? Is this something I will understand after our Golden Cruise??

Thanks,

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host