Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 7th, 2001, 12:44 PM
Admiral

Default Die-Hard Princess cruisers trying Carnival with th

To my fellow Princess cruisers. My husband and I spent a fabulous week on the Grand this past June. We were without our children and just loved every minute of the itinerary and the ship. We inquired of our TA about any upcoming cruises that we could share with our 3 children (2 teens, 1 pre-teen) as a surprise Christmas gift, that wouldn't break our bank. She sold us on Carnival Imagination, leaving 12/29. Now we KNOW not to expect Princess ambiance/service/etc..... on Carnival but will the differences be so broad scale that hubby and I will kick ourselves for the next 2 years for not waiting for a "deal" on Princess or RCI instead? We WILL have fun not matter what and this trip is truly for our kids, but I was just curious. Commnets???
Sponsored Links
Old December 7th, 2001, 01:03 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Die-Hard Princess cruisers trying Carnival wit

You already know to expect something a little different, but its not like you are taking your family on a tramp steamer. I find by past experience that I personally prefer Princess or Celebrity, howevever we have also done two Carnival cruises and had an excellent time on both.You will still be served by a staff eager to please you and have fellow travelers eager to have a good time. Relax ,enjoy and go with the flow of the Carnival "personality" and I'm sure you and your family will have a marvelous time.Carnival sells a lot of cruises and must be doing something right.
Old December 7th, 2001, 03:35 PM
Passenger

We have cruised on several cruise lines, Carnival included. Indeed it is a different "product" than RCCL or Princess or Celebrity, all of which we enjoy. But the Carnival product is a good one, and in my opinion an excellent value. We were on the Imagination not too long ago and were very pleased with Carnival's improvements since our first Carnival cruise 14+ years ago.

Bottom line is, don't second guess your choice. I don't think you will be disappointed and your kids will be thrilled.
Old December 7th, 2001, 03:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I've cruised on a number of Carnival ships, though not personally familiar with the Imagination. Have been on a number of other lines as well, including Princess.

Your kids will likely find many others in their age groups on Carnival. So, they should be happy cruisers.
IMHO Carnival has made great strides in their onboard product. Their food quality stands up against all the other majors very well. Presentation may not be competitive yet.. but it tastes good.

I really enjoy the relaxed and fun atmosphere on Carnival. Go with a relaxed and fun attitude to match, and you'll be sure to have a fabulous cruise.

Regards,
Kuki
Old December 7th, 2001, 04:55 PM
Admiral

Sure you'll have a fine cruise on Carnival. It is a very different product, as stated above, from Princess. Most lines have excellent programs for the kids and Princess is no exception. We always recommend that the adults choose a ship that's appealing to them. The kids will generally have a good time no matter where... particularly on a Holiday sailing where all ships will have lots of kids. Love to hear your opinion when you return.
Old December 8th, 2001, 12:27 AM
Carole Dunham

Celebrity and Princess are my two favorite cruiselines and last year I decided to take a Carnival cruise just to see what all the fuss was about. Well, I had a blast. First, Carnival upgraded me to a verandah cabin, something that rarely happens to me. Second, the ship was bursting with happy people. passengers and crew alike. I made a new friend that I still see everything we're in the same city together. I didn't find the food quite up to Celebrity or Princess standards, but it was better than what I fix at home, there was great variety and there was plenty of it. The entertainment was wonderful and I never encountered a Carnival employee who didn't say hello and always with a smile. Was the ship a little glitzy? Yes it was. Sort of like Las Vegas. I would go back anytime. Have fun!

Carole
Old December 8th, 2001, 07:46 AM
First Mate

We have done nine cruises, including Princess.Our favorite line is Carnival. Never been on Imagination, but have been on Destiny twice, Fantasy, Holiday, and Victory. On Carnival you get more BANG FOR YOUR BUCK. The service, food and entertainment are all excellant! And don't forget the PIZZA! The 24 hour pizza is the best at sea. You may like Carnival so much that you will not return to Princess. Have fun & enjoy!
Libby
Old December 8th, 2001, 07:53 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hey Carole,
Where have you been, sent an e-mail, but it was returned? A fellow poster on another board has been looking for you, just wanted to check and make sure all was OK?

Take care,

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old December 8th, 2001, 11:21 AM
Admiral

I have been on 15 Princess cruises and about 10 Carnival cruises.

Princess is my preferred line, but I've had a blast on my Carnival cruises. Was on the Imagination in May and found her well maintained and the food excellent. Service was great too.

You'll have a great time!
Old December 8th, 2001, 12:41 PM
Carole Dunham

Hi Libby,

My next cruise after Carnival was on Princess and currently my next is on Celebrity. Overall I like the quieter cruises. My Carnival cruise was to Eastern Canada which is a much quieter cruise than to the Caribbean, with an older crowd onboard. You don't stop loving one (or two) favorite cruiselines just because you discover another one you enjoy.

Carole
Old December 10th, 2001, 09:43 AM
First Mate

Default $$

We've taken several cruises and find subtle differences between the lines -between the ships within the lines-- ok some have better food, some better entertainment, etc. but the bottom line is the cruises are all pretty much the same --

If this was the last cruise you are ever going to take -- maybe I would worry about it alot, but it sounds like you enjoyed your first experience and want to have more!

We would take almost any ship anywhere if the price was good -- now if the price was the same we might do some thinking, but for the money you are probably saving its alot easier to put up with things that you find annoying.

Just my 2 cents.

Barb