Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 11th, 2001, 09:08 AM
Admiral

Default Barbados Beaches

Going on Dawn Jan 12 and looking for suggestions for nice beaches in Barbados in a safe area. Last year, we went to the one near a rum factory and the smell was awful! I put in a post asking about the Kayaking with turtles snorkel trip and no one replied. I'm assuming it isn't very good since no one goes on it. Thanks for any info about the beaches and how far from the ship they are.
Sponsored Links
Old December 12th, 2001, 12:14 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Barbados Beaches

Just back from Dawn. The beach called "The Boatyard" is very clean and lots to do there. It cost $10 per person to enter. This includes rental of chair and umbrella. Then you get back $8.00 worth of beach tokens you can use these tokens toward drinks and food. Restroom facilities are very clean and there are beach games and activities. The police also patrol the beach. Vendors are licensed and not annoying. It is a short cab ride from port( about 15 min.) I think $3.00 per person. Ask ship's crew for other beaches. Have fun and be sure to use sunscreen!
Old December 12th, 2001, 07:51 AM
Graham

I can highly recommend "Glitter Bay" on the Atlantic side. It is part of a beautiful hotel complex, I was there about 4 years ago and is one of most relaxing beaches I have ever visited. Not sure if they charge or not but, have recommended to friends and they loved it too. Enjoy
Old December 12th, 2001, 12:28 PM
jp garnier

Glitter Bay is indeed beautiful, but the ocean can get quite rough and create a substantial undertow. The caribbean side of the Island is also beautiful with substantial beaches that are very calm. There are lots of beautifully landscaped hotel that will let passengers use the facilities if asked, and assuming consumption of lunch or beverages. JP
Old December 12th, 2001, 05:36 PM
Rob H

What ever you do, I'd suggest per previous note that you stick to the Caribbean side of the Island considering you are in for one day. As the Eastern side can be quite rough and if calm one can still encounter hidden undertows. You have to be knowledgable of the waters which is why one calls it 'taking a bath' in the rock formations hollows when the tide is down.
The Eastern side is beautiful for walking and bathing unless one is into surfing or you know a Barbadian family. Its a lovely drive from dock to East Coast and very sceanic,
Makes a nice 1/ 2 day for beach stop, drive, rst for a rum drink.
Part of our family live on the East Coast and now and then a tourist will encounter these under tows even though signs warn you to be careful. When we swim in that area its only when someone knowledgable is with us and even then we stick to when tide is out and pools.

You can go to Sunset Crest area, beach access is free and shops , banks, food and taxi's are around. A lot of locals and tourists live all year in the area. Taxi ride though is through town from where ship docks if I remember right but its a nice scenic drive.
Old December 12th, 2001, 10:01 PM
Hondu

Glitter Bay is not on the Atlantic side. That is the Caribbean side.

You would find Bathseba and the Crane beach on the Atlantic side but remember that this is quite a distance from the harbor.
Old December 13th, 2001, 02:43 PM
rob H

Hi Hondu,
Its possible 'JP' mistook an old resort called Glitter ? on the area we call CattleWash, part of our family lives which is on the East Coast Road.
Bathsheba itself is great for surfers and its about 10 minutes walk from my sister-in-laws house.
The Crane itself is near Sam Lords Castle and is nice though choppy at times, its a nice beach . We spent our honeymoom on the Crane at a beach house.

here is a link to Barbados Beaches
East Coast
http://barbados.org/bceast.htm
and overall
http://barbados.org/beaches.htm

enjoy