Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 13th, 2001, 04:32 PM
First Mate

Default Smart Casual Dress Code

We are traveling on the Ocean 12/20 for our 9th cruise with Princess and got our tickets a few days ago. We noticed something different this time on the tickets- there are 2 formal nights and eight "SMART CASUAL" nights. Has anyone traveled with Princess recenlty and observed this? There is no info that I can find anywhere on the web site outlining exactly what Smart Casual dress is. Any info/tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,
David
Sponsored Links
Old December 13th, 2001, 05:02 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Smart Casual Dress Code

I was just on Golden for Thanksgiving and on "Smart Casual" nights I just wore a polo shirt with a collar and dockers (slacks). Most of the men around me wore the same thing. There are always the ones who go to extremes on both ends but the majority for were like me. I wasn't about to wear a tie every night while I was on vacation and I don't think anyone else did either.

I think the "Smart Casual" suggestion is just so people don;t dress like slobs. No t-shirts or shorts if you are going to dinner.
Old December 13th, 2001, 06:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

David,
I pretty much agree with Rick's response. They have just done away with semi formal.. so 2 formals, the rest casual. And as Rick says, labelling it "smart casual" is likely to deter folks from shorts and tank tops.

Regards,
Kuki
Old December 14th, 2001, 01:00 AM
rob h

Yup
Same here
I wore at night dress pants and a polo shirt or short sleeve. no tie nor extra jacket to take

was great
Old December 16th, 2001, 12:17 AM
Passenger

What does "smart casual" mean for women? I have it figured out for me but she's confused. Golden on NYears.
Old December 16th, 2001, 12:38 AM
rob h

Going out to a nice supper club instead of the annual country club dance.. My wife wore clothes she would not wear to the shopping centre but to church or a cocktail hour
Old December 16th, 2001, 12:54 AM
Gaile

Hi Dennis,

We usually wear dress pants and a nice shirt or a simple dress for smart casual. Going on Golden with you, looking forward to meeting you guys.

Gaile
CM Host Tweety
Old December 16th, 2001, 11:58 AM
cruisin'dj

david
my wife and i just got of the grand, which had the same setup.khaki's, tassle loafers, and a golf shirt or short sleeve silk/rayon/button down shirt were the norm for us. my wife wore sundresses, or loose fitting lightweight pantsuits everynight.we thought it was a good move to do away with semi formal wear... thats one less suit you have to pack. also, bring a nice hawiian shirt, as there will probably be a tropical night, which brings all manner of interesting wear to the dining room.
enjoy your cruise

cruisin'dj
Old December 16th, 2001, 05:41 PM
Passenger

We were on the Grand in October. Basically what I did and most others was a nice pair of slacks a nice top or a nice but somewhat casual dress and sandals. There are all extremes, I find I feel most comfortable somewhere in the middle. I for one am glad to do away with semi-formal nights. Some formal night are fun, but vacation should be relaxing. We will be on the Crown for 15 days in January...........I hope when our documents arrive there will not be any semi-formal there either.