Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 16th, 2001, 01:12 AM
Passenger

Default St Maarten Rental Car

We would like to rent a car when we port in St Maarten. Where does the the Golden port on the island? Are there rental agencies right at the port? Which ones? I would like to reserve ahead of time since we will be there Jan 1 and it will probably be a busy time on the island.
Sponsored Links
Old December 16th, 2001, 01:46 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Re: St Maarten Rental Car

Hi Dennis,
I don't have an answer from you on the car rental... but if you're going to be in St Mart Jan 1, on the Golden, that means you're cruising with us!
We have 80 people onboard for the CruiseMates New Year's Bash. Drop us a line, if you like, and you can join in some of the fun with the Cruisemates gang.

Regards,
Kuki
Old December 16th, 2001, 05:34 PM
Terrry

We rented a car on St. Maarten in October, no problem at all. There are several rental agencies at the end of the pier. Just head right down there and it should not be a problem. We paid $58.00 for an air conditioned suzuki 4 wheel drive. We had a great time!!
Old December 23rd, 2001, 04:07 PM
First Mate

My question is to Terry - which car rental did you use? We are going on Golden in February - several agencies are listed but it sounds like what you rented for the 4 of us would be ideal. We have been to St. Martin several times and want to be able to go to Marigot and stop at a beach somewhere. Is this what you did or are there other places around the island you visited? Your reply would be appreciated or anyone else who has rented a car in St. Martin. Thanks in advance.
Old January 8th, 2002, 10:58 PM
Passenger

Hi, Judy. I mistakenly deleted your e-mail address so hopefully this will reach you. We are back from our New Year's cruise on the Golden. We had a nice time though I always feel like I eat too much and I was ready to get off and get back at the end of 7 days. We were in St. Maarten on New Years Day. Three ships in port (Golden, Disney, and Explorer of the Seas. We got off early and went immediately to the end of the dock and, following the signs to "rental cars", turned right, walked about 100 yds past the excursion buses to the rental car offices at the pier. I was approached once before I even got there re. renting. I went to the Budget office since I was using Budget this trip for my other two rentals (Orlando to Ft Lauderdale and back to Orlando). Hertz also has an office there as do several other local companies. I was just more comfortable renting from a national company since I was familiar with their rental agreements, etc. We rented a small jeep which had a sun roof and the back open. With rental, insurance, etc. it came to about $100.00. I could have saved $10.00 by renting a standard vehicle but we were on vacation so... Gas on the island is expensive ($3.00 per gallon) so only put in what you are going to use. I gave them back some gas which I could have avoided if I had been a little smarter. We started out driving towards the airport out of Philipsburg, skipped the Simpson Bay area entirely, drove through Marigot (which was pretty much closed up on New Years Day) and checked out a beach at Anise Marcel. The turn is not well marked and it took us some time to find it, but it was wonderful. The Le Meridian Hotel is at the end of the road. We parked outside the gate, walked through the hotel to the beach, used their lounges, and stayed two hours. Gentle waves, beautiful water; some topless bathing but not uncomfortable to either myself or my wife. We went from there to two more beaches (Orient, also on the French side, and also to Dawn on the Dutch side). The whole trip took about five hours so we still had plenty of time for my wife to shop in Philipsburg before reboarding. Does this give you the info you need? If not, e-mail me back. I thought the way we did it with renting a car provided a nice alternative to the cruise excursions.