Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 20th, 2001, 03:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default GOLDEN/DINNING

HELLO, I WAS NEEDING SOME TIPS AND SUGGESTINGS ABOUT PERSONAL CHOICE DINNING ON THE GOLDEN. ANY INFO AND OR ADVICE WOULD BE HELPFUL. WE ARE SAILING JAN 19TH. THANKS!!!

HAPPY CRUISING!!!!
Sponsored Links
Old December 20th, 2001, 07:31 PM
KandK

Default Re: GOLDEN/DINNING

I posted this a few weeks ago:

Just back from the Golden Dec 1 - 8. After formal dining twice before, we chose PC and will never go back. First night reservations for 2, second night reservations for 4, met new friend at the airport. The rest of the week we just showed up at the dinning room and asked to be seated at a large table. Every time we ate together as all at the table had been seated within 5 minutes. 5 nights x 3 to 4 couples = 30 new friends to talk to about our adventures.

You really need to know what you want. PC gives you all the advantages of traditional dinning with the freedom to make changes if something comes up. With traditional dinning you take your chances in where you are seated. My experience on the three Princes cruises tells me that you probably get great service but in any service industry, it is the person, and sometime they have bad days. With PC if the service is great the first day, reserve a table in that section for the next day, if its not ask for a different section the next time. One day you may want to take in the early show, eat later. The next day the choice of entertainment may be later in the evening (18 different shows throughout the week) reserve early.

At any rate, the eating competition is fears

KandK
Old December 21st, 2001, 10:52 PM
Passenger

When you say "reserve early" I am assuming you are referring to dinner reservations and not to a need to make reservations for the evening shows. Its been three years since we have been on a Princess cruise but we have never needed to make reservations for the evenings entertainment. Please clarify before we leave Dec. 26 for FL to pick up the Golden on Dec. 29th. Thanks.
Old December 22nd, 2001, 12:33 PM
cruisin'dj

tina,
my wife and i just came back from a cruise on the grand, where we chose the "personal choice" dining option. after 9 cruises in the tradional dining mode, it was time for a change, and let me tell you, personnel choice is the way to go.as K+K said, it allows much more flexibility with your time, and gives you the opportunity to meet and mingle with many fellow cruisers.i also found that developing a good relationship with the maitre'd proved to help matters.on the advice of a friend, on our first night, i intruduced myself and my wife to the maitre'd, and told him i knew that the dining room service was going to be great, in the princess tradition, and this being the case, i would like to tip him in advance, and discreetly gave him a small gratuity.we were called by name from that night on, and service could not have been better, to the point where he was generously tipped again at the end of the cruise. as other posters have said, if you find a table/waiter that you like, reserve the table in advance(for the whole week if you want). we will be on golden in march...let us know how your cruise is,

cruisin'dj
Old December 23rd, 2001, 08:32 AM
KandK

Sorry for not bing clear. Yes you are right, you can reserve your seat for dining only, the shows are still first come first serve. The even frown on people saving seats though it does happen.

KandK