Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 24th, 2001, 09:10 PM
KandK

Default Quality of food

Having chosen PC dinning on the Golden earlier this month we had the opportunity to meet a lot of different people. Other than the topic of our lost luggage, we usually talked about the food. There was always the comparison of food from one line to another (Princess vs Canival). I seemed to observe from the conversation that the quality of the food was not consistent from line to line, but based on the size of the ship. I personal thought that the food was better on the Dawn and Sea over the Golden, the smaller the ship the better the food. Any thoughts.

KandK
Sponsored Links
Old December 26th, 2001, 07:50 AM
seagarsmoker

Default Re: Quality of food

From our experience, I would tend to agree with your statement.
Old December 26th, 2001, 09:01 AM
Admiral

We had excellent food on both Sea Princess and Grand Princess - the quality was equal to each other. Had traditional dining on both.

Just sailed RCCL and the food is significantly better on Princess.
Old December 26th, 2001, 04:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

All I can add is that the food on the Glden Princess was 10 times better than Carnival's Paradise nad Sensation.
Princess really offers such a variety on the buffet each day. Even have sushi for the brave people.
Old December 28th, 2001, 11:06 AM
BillG

I think that our opinions about the food on various ships will vary from cruise to cruise, and even in some instances, from day to day. There are so many variables that it is really difficult to make valid comparisons based on individual experiences. Different cooks may prepare the same dish with subtle or significant variations, your dining room location as it relates to the galley may effect the degree of heat of the food when it arrives at your table, as well as how promptly your waiter picks up and delivers your order. In addition your selections may make a difference, if, for example, the cook does a better job of preparing one dish than (s)he does another or this week's produce is fresher. Even the best land-based restaurants will prepare some items "better" than others and all have their off days. Unless you are eating in a fast-food franchise where everything is prepared according to very specific detail, you won't usually find the kind of uniformity that some seem to think exists or should exist. Most of the time, when someone says that the food on line X or ship Y is better than that on another line or ship (or even on the same one on a different occasion), what they really mean is that they "liked" it better or it was prepared and presented more in the style they prefer. Food on cruise ships is rarely, if ever, inedible, but when you are feeding thousands of people at a time, meals can hardly get the individual attention that can be provided in a gourmet restaurant which serves fewer than 50 meals in an evening.
Old December 29th, 2001, 05:03 PM
Babette

I've eaten exactly the same meals on the Grand Princess and the Pacific Princess. The Pacific Princess wins hands down!!
Old December 29th, 2001, 10:16 PM
MaryEllen

BillG, I couldn't agree with you more. During my recent week on the Golden I was constantly surprised to overhear opposite comments about the food, "Oh, I loved that! The meat was SO tender!" "That was the toughest steak I ever ate!" and on, and on.

My take on the food was balanced with what I know a banquet operation can do really well, and what had better be left to a'la minute cooking. Overall I found the food preparation and serving on the Golden to be exemplary. The plates were attractive; servings were more than adequate; most tasted as well as a top (but not exquisite) shoreside restaurant; amazingly, things like salads tasted SO fresh and crispy--even at the end of the week.

My enjoyment in being on a cruise may color my thinking, but, overall, Princess wins over all. Next favorite: Costa. Celebrity is great. Do you all sense a trend here? I'm cruising. There's food. WOW!

MaryEllen