Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 4th, 2002, 02:22 PM
George & Gina

Default No Speakie English

After reading several posts on other boards and just receiving an email from a friend that is on The Ocean Princess in a suite, it seems as if the majority of cruisers that speak English are in a minority. We had been hearing that this was just a problem in San Juan. Apparently regional specials have been so fantastic that large groups are running rampant on cruises out of Fort Lauderdale also.
Sponsored Links
Old January 4th, 2002, 03:01 PM
Admiral

Default Re: No Speakie English

I was thinking about taking your comment and ripping into you for the rather obvious point of prejudice that both your subject and comments come from . I'll just leave that alone.

Presuming that your only problem would be an inability to communicate with tablemates at mealtime, then Ocean Princess and personal choice dining solve that problem. Go personal choice and you can either dine alone, or with any other English speaking passengers you meet on the ship.

Speaking english is neither a requirement of passage on a cruise ship, or a prerequisite for having fun on a cruise vacation.

On second thought I won't leave it alone. Your observation is so out of line for any inteligent person living in this country in the year 2002 that I can't even think of a nice way of telling you off.Please advise us of your future cruise plans so we can avoid you.
My apologies in advance to the other readers on this board for my seemingly harsh response. This is the toned down version.
Old January 4th, 2002, 04:11 PM
First Mate

Thank you Bill..............We cruise with Princess alot and as a matter a fact have met many wonderful "friends" who "no speakie English" Believe it or not we have enjoyed learing other cultures and actually learning a few new words too. I have yet to meet anyone who cannot totally communicate with the English speaking person.

We are leaving on the Ocean Princess on the 29th of January for 10 days and looking forward to meeting some "new friends".

Barbara
Old January 4th, 2002, 11:10 PM
Admiral

What a remarkably provincal post. How unfortunate for those folks.
Old January 5th, 2002, 09:39 AM
George & Gina

Go to the cruise addict board and read "Live From Millie" Post before you start slamming us...

Apologies for the title and misunderstanding.
Old January 5th, 2002, 10:22 AM
David Starkey

Bill...Chill..(you seem to have the problem...not George & Gina) I have sailed for many years and sailed different types of crusie ships and can truthfully say i have had staff that and fellow passengers that neither speak nor understand English. While I am not against people that do not speak English it can make ordering meals and table conversation very difficult. I can remember trying to communicate my dinner orders in English to Italian Waiters that " did not speak any English" on the old Italian Line. Good luck if I had a question about a particular entree. I enjoyed my cruise , but it did make for many ackward meals and communication on the whole cruise was difficult. On A QE 2 sailing many years ago we had a large group of French passengers and i was seated among them. I can remember them ordering all there food in French and all conversation was in French , yet they spoke English very fluently. Our waiter was English but he spoke French as well. I remember when they left the ship i sighed in relief and resummed conversation with my new table mates that spoke English.(no I don't hate the French, but it sure would have been nice for them to communicate in English while seated with other English speaking passengers.)
Old January 5th, 2002, 03:57 PM
Carole Dunham

Meeting people from other countries who may or may not speak your language is one of the greatest joys of travel. The trick is to pick up at least a little bit of a foreign language. In my fairly long life I've picked up some Italian and French and spoke Spanish very well. I ended up living in Spain for a few years I liked it so much. You don't have to speak the language well, just a bit. But foreigners are delighted when Americans can speak even a little bit of their languages. The trick is to start learning other languages in early childhood like they do. Americans start at a later age.

Carole
Old January 5th, 2002, 06:26 PM
George & Gina

The problem here is that Spanish is the predominant language being spoken. Local residents are receiving specials of under 400 dollars for a week on Millenium, Any Ship sailing out of San Juan, and now we are hearing Fort Lauderdale. We speak Spanish, French and Italian. My Fiance' should not have titled this the way that he did. There is a problem with groups coming on the ship that are cutting in line and are extremely rude. English is the 2nd language being spoken including in the shows and over the loudspeakers. There are boom boxes being played in the halls and pushing and shoving. To be blunt there is a low class of passengers sailing on the ships due to the low prices that are being offered.

Go to cruise critic and read any review from San Juan. We are not being snobbish at all and we did not intend to come off as being rude and ignorant. The bottom line is that we always cruise in suites and with the prices falling, we are asking ourselves why should we spend top dollar and be in "West Side Story" which is what it sounds like reading these reviews and now hearing back from friends and co-workers.

This was not meant to be a negative posting, although I can see how and why it was taken this way. Our friends will be back this week, and I'm sure you will be reading and hearing more of these type posts. For those of you saying "Go to Crystal or Radison, I am sure we will be on our way"

Gina
Old January 5th, 2002, 08:16 PM
sailinglisa

Gina - it is hard for anyone who speaks only one language to be in the minority. When the majority of passengers speak Spanish, then I think Spanish should be the predominant language, with English also spoken. As for rude people, some of the rudest people I have met are english only speaking Americans. The title of this post is offensive no matter what you and your fiancee say. It is an insult. Period.
Old January 5th, 2002, 11:30 PM
Carole Dunham

The prices are starting to come up again. The huge bargains are gone. Soon, everything will be back to normal. You're right. In this case it wasn't the language, it was the manners.

Carole
Old January 7th, 2002, 04:27 AM
First Mate

No wonder I failed astronomy - I somehow forgot that the Earth revolves around the U.S. and not the sun.

Please stop using words like 'groups' to indicate those ethnicities you are obviously not too fond of - you know, the ones that can't afford to stay in your suites, but will jump at the chance when the cruise lines lower their prices to 'po-folk' levels. Maybe you could tell them not to cut in line or play their boomboxes, seeing as you speak spanish and all. Or moreover, maybe an ethnicity quota on the cruise ships would suit you better. I'm sorry, but your comments did nothing but put more fuel on the fire your husband started - I mean 'West Side Story'? lower class of passengers? - come on, now.

Please, please, please, for the sake of any person of minority descent who ever has the misfortune of crossing your path, enroll in an ethnic studies course at your local community college and educate yourself. I know you didn't mean any harm by your seemingly innocuous comments, but your post indicates a plainly observable prejudice towards minorities, whether you want to admit it or not - and it certainly doesn't take a Nobel laureate to see this.

And to the other poster, I also didn't realize that if one has the capacity to speak some English,it automatically behooves them to engage in conversation with the obviously superior American sitting next to them at the dinner table. How dare those crazy French.

I apologize for my tone (or flaming) but this is the sort of ignorant, de jour prejudice that people of varying ethnic background are subject to on a regular basis. And when I say ignorant, I don't mean it as a putdown, but simply the fact that some people, while unaware and uneducated about certain topics, continue to make generalizations based upon his/her lacking knowledge.

I'm with Bill in that I had to 'hold back' for fear of being banned from this board.