Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 6th, 2002, 04:03 PM
Admiral

Default Liquor carryon

What is the latest on carrying your own liquor on board Princess ships - particularly Sun to Panama Canal?

Ron
Sponsored Links
Old January 6th, 2002, 04:11 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Liquor carryon

To quote a recent article from the Orlando Sentinel "Princess' policy is much more lenient. 'Passengers may bring their own alcoholic beverages on board at any time, says spokeswoman Kelly McCarthy. 'Any alcohol purchased in port or on board is the property of the passenger, and they may do with it what they please. It is theirs for the keeping.' "
Old January 6th, 2002, 09:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

Well, the Orlando Sentinel has clarified that statement in Sunday's paper:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/trave...ines%2Dcruises

If you were among those with a hangover on New Year's Day, maybe you won't mind this sobering news about Princess' changed liquor policy.

Some of you may recall that Princess was among the few lines that permitted passengers to bring aboard alcoholic beverages. In fact, in a recent column about cruise lines' liquor policies, I quoted a Princess spokeswoman who says: "Any alcohol purchased in port or on-board is the property of the passenger, and they may do with it what they please."

Well, hang onto that cork. The line recently "adjusted" the lenient policy and, according to Princess' public relations manager Denise Seomin, there's now a revised "gangway alcohol control policy."

Seomin explains: "In order to stay in line with current industry standards, Princess began a pilot program on board Grand Princess and Dawn Princess in October. The policy prohibits passengers from consuming alcohol purchased ashore while on board the ships, except for wine and champagne. Any alcohol that is purchased ashore or in the ship's gift shop will be collected for safekeeping and delivered to the passenger's stateroom on the last day of the voyage."

The line will monitor the program and, based on results, roll out the policy fleetwide in the near future, Seomin said.

Princess still permits you to bring wine or champagne aboard, but you can enjoy it only in the privacy of your stateroom. "It may not be brought into any public lounge for consumption," Seomin says. If you wish to consume your wine or champagne in the dining rooms, the line levies a $10 per bottle corkage fee, applied to your shipboard account.
Old January 7th, 2002, 08:09 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

WE also noticed a change in their policy while on Golden last week. They will ask you as you come onboard from ports if you have any
liquor and my husband purchased a 6 pack of beer, that they did allow him to carry on, but any other liquor purchases were kept til the last nite of the cruise. They don't sell any onboard for use, that too will be kept til the last nite. We were also a bit suprised that they didn't give out a glass or two of champagne on New Years eve, you had to buy a whole bottle, didn't bother me because I don't care for it anyway. Now, they did offer glasses of champagne after the waterfall, but that was it.

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old January 9th, 2002, 09:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

Has anyone been on the Dawn lately? We leave Saturday and want to know if they they have been taking liquor as you board. Thanks for any imput. Yeah - it is almost time to sail.
Old January 10th, 2002, 08:49 AM
First Mate

I have the same question regarding the Royal, which we will be sailing on in May. Do they permit you to take liquor on board when you first board? Or will we have to hide it again?
Old January 11th, 2002, 04:23 PM
jp garnier

Just returned from the Ocean and it is stated very specifically that carry on alcohol will be safeguarded, ie: confiscated,until the end of the cruise. I did not test it. JP
Old January 11th, 2002, 04:26 PM
jp garnier

I took a plastic flask of cognac on board and it was not questioned, or discovered, although not hidden. JP
Old January 12th, 2002, 01:09 AM
First Mate

I just returned from golden last week.Pack your liquor in your suitcase & hope it doesnt break. I used a plastic flask. They do check all carry ons with a hand held metal detector & will ask if you have liquor. The policy could vary from ship to ship. Good Luck.
George
Old January 14th, 2002, 07:30 AM
loua

Has anyone addressed the specific "SUN" question???..we sail on 1/25
I'd like to bring some liquor on when we board ...read through all the replies to the original question posted re:SUN...none addressed that question specifically...

Pls advise & thanks....