Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 9th, 2002, 05:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default What to expect from cabin steward

Everyone writes about tipping and the automatic tipping on some of the lines now. My question is this - what should we just expect from our steward? We were on NCL Sky in August and will be on Golden Princess next month. We've been on Disney and Carnival before that also. On Carnival we got towel animals, did once on Disney too. On the Sky, we only saw our steward twice - and no towel animals - no nothing special as far as I was concerned. I often saw other stewards in the hall on the Sky and had a running joke about the wonderful Alaska weather with a couple of them. When we leave our cabin in the morning and evening, we put out the "make up room sign" and when we returned, it was made up. But nothing special - bed made (sheets the same), towels in bath etc. Is that the bare minimum for the automatic tip? I'm hoping on the Golden that there's SOMETHING a bit special, especially since our 8 yr old is going with us and I'd like him to feel special. How does everyone out there handle this? Am I "expecting" too much? Should the room "just" be made up and I never see him/her? Thanks for any insight on this.
Sponsored Links
Old January 9th, 2002, 06:43 PM
Passenger

Default Re: What to expect from cabin steward

Jenn,
we will be on the sun on jan 25th. We were on the grand last year and thought that the auto tipping might have affected the service from our waiter and asst. waiter, either that or they just were not very good. In any case this year with tipping being automatic for the cabin steward also i am going to have it removed the first day. It gets back to the waiter and the steward that the tip has been removed. If the service is good we take very good care of them at the end of the cruise. The first day i also take a $20 bill and make a paper airplane and leave it on the bed for the cabin steward, you usually want for nothing the rest of the trip. Maybe it really doesn't help but i think it does!!!!!!! Hope this gives you some ideas.

have fun!!!!!!!!!
sean
Old January 9th, 2002, 07:04 PM
Admiral

Sounds to me like you got ideal cabin steward service. Everything done; you never had to ask; and he (or she) never interfered with your use of the room. Sounds like cabin steward heaven.Towel animals are cute, but do not equate to good service.The best steward does the work and is otherwise invisible. I f you want more just let the steward know by calling his extension, or leaving a note.I have never had a steward refuse a reasonable request.
Old January 9th, 2002, 07:08 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Jenn,
Room stewards on Carnival, Disney, and recently RCI seem to be the only ones who add a little fun in the cabin with towel animals.

Some stewards are more visible and social than others. That's just the luck of the draw. However, if they keep the cabin clean, and neat... the ice bucket full.. clean towels when you need them, then they are basically doing their job.

We just recently returned from the New Year's sailing of the Golden Princess. The cabin steward was very friendly, when and if we saw him. Instructed us at the beginning of the cruise if there was anything at all we needed to please let him know. He did an excellent job of caring for our little home for the week and for that alone earned his tip.
But on Princess don't expect any towel animals.. sorry

Regards,
Kuki
Old January 10th, 2002, 12:45 AM
Cruise Maniac

How often should you expect the sheets to be changed?
Old January 10th, 2002, 09:29 AM
Cruise Maniac

I'd LIKE the sheets changed every day, but at least a couple times would have made me happy too. They say that Benjamin Franklin would have his changed multiple times each NIGHT. He is a great, great, great...uncle of mine - I guess I get it from him.