Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 13th, 2002, 10:39 PM
Lana

Default Ocean Princess

We are booked on the Southern Caribbean Medley on Feb. 28th and were looking for good tips on shore excursions to take at the various ports? We are early 40's but not strong party people....Any advice would be great!
Sponsored Links
Old January 14th, 2002, 09:09 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Ocean Princess

Hi Lana, my husband and I are on the same itinerary for the Jan. 29/02
cruise on the Ocean Princess. I too was wondering about the shore
excursions and any information regarding the ship. We too are in the JJ
cat. on the Baja deck right at the front of the ship. I wanted to be very
close to the huge deck out at the front. I'm sure we'll feel some motion
here and there but we are not prone to sea sickness too much any way.
I hope to post a review when we get back. We are really excited and
can not wait to go to escape the great white north!! So far we are booked
on three excursions. We had been to Curacao previously but we did not
take any tours last time so we booked one this time around. We are
going to see the caves and tour some of the island. We booked the
snorkel catamaran in Barbados and the Wacky Rollers in Dominica.
I've read from other cruise messages that this tour is a very good one
and not one to miss so we'll see!

Sharon
Old January 14th, 2002, 09:18 AM
jp garnier

The catamaran cruise in Barbados is super. It is the more expensive one, $ 69.00, and includes continental breakfast, lunch on chinal and an open bar with bubbly for breakfast. The staff is great as is the boat itself. JP
Old January 14th, 2002, 10:51 AM
First Mate

Lana,
We are also on the Ocean Princess at the same time. This is our 7th and have been to most of the ports before. We will probably just take cabs independently of shore tours in MOST ports. We are cruising with a couple from Ca. and would love to meet up with you. We are fun but not big partiers. Email me when you get a chance @ jijuma49@aol.com

Judy
Old January 14th, 2002, 03:22 PM
jp garnier

In addition to my earlier post, the Coche Island trip was pleasant. Be aware the in Margarita there is a beach within 5 minutes from the ship that looked OK fro the ship, chairs, umbrellas, etc. May want to check with the crew. JP
Old January 14th, 2002, 10:21 PM
Lana

Thanks so much for the info everyone.
Judy, We're not seasoned travellers so thought it would be safer to book the shore excursion from the ship. Are there any you would highly recommend for various ports we will be at. Is taking a cab reasonably priced and can you get basically the same tours for a better price by not booking on the ship?
Old January 15th, 2002, 10:56 AM
John F

We are also on the same cruise as you guys. It's our 21st cruise. We just were on the Golden(12/29/01) with the Cruisemates group. This cruise on the Ocean should a great trip. Hope to see you all on board.
Happy sailing!! John & Priscilla
Old January 16th, 2002, 12:35 PM
jp garnier

Booking on the ship or through the ship takes a lot of potential anxiety sometime present in booking through a cab, and may be just as cheap in the long run. I have always been able to book on the ship if it is done early, ie: after boarding JP
Old January 17th, 2002, 09:53 PM
Admiral

Lana,

Princess has a solid reputation for running the strongest shore excursion program in the industry, so I doubt that you will be disappointed in the excursions.

Princess goes to great pains to make sure that the descriptins of the excursions in the "Adventures Ashore" booklet are as accurate and as current as possible and that the excursions are safe and of the best possible quality, even dispatching cruise staff on excursions randomly to monitor the quality and consisstency of the product and rewarding operators who excel. Read the descriptions carefully and believe what they say -- and be honest about any limitations that you might have in selecting excursions since there's nothing worse than getting on an excursion and then discovering that you can't do some scheduled activity.

Finally, I recommend reserving your shore excursions in advance through Princess's web site. The system works very well. The tickets for the excursions will arrive in your stateroom on embarkation day, you don't have to take time out from having fun to reserve excursions once you arrive aboard the ship, and the price of the excursions gets billed to your shipboard account in exactly the same way. If you do change your mind, just bring the tickets for whatever excursions you wish to cancel to the shore excursion desk before the booking deadline for the respective ports of call. The best part is that the advance booking usually ensures that Princess can arrange enough buses or other transportation to accommodate all the passengers who book excursions in advance.

Norm.
Old January 18th, 2002, 05:31 PM
Lana

Thanks for the great info, Norm. Say, I'm having trouble with booking shore excursions on line. I can view basically the title of the various excursions but there is no details provided. I have not yet received my cruise package with what you called the Adventures Ashore booklet. My travel agent has advised I would receive this approx. 2 wks. prior to sailing. So, is it the only way to get the details or are they also available on-line somewhere?
Old January 19th, 2002, 09:16 PM
Admiral

Lana,

Thanks for the great info, Norm. Say, I'm having trouble with booking shore excursions on line. I can view basically the title of the various excursions but there is no details provided. I have not yet received my cruise package with what you called the Adventures Ashore booklet. My travel agent has advised I would receive this approx. 2 wks. prior to sailing. So, is it the only way to get the details or are they also available on-line somewhere?

I agree that on-line descriptions would be an improvement, and they probably will show up someday. For now, though, you can select excursions on line as soon as you receive the information package containing the descriptions and thus be free from the hassle of having to book excursions after embarkation.

Unlike other cruise lines, Princess now sends two separate packages.

>> Princess sends an information package to your travel agent immediately upon receipt of your final payment, so your travel agent should deliver it to you within two weeks of final payment. If you are booking your flights through Princess, this package also should contain your flight schedules (but not the actual tickets) so you have an opportunity to review them and opt for custom flight arrangements ($35 + any additional fare) if the scheduled flights are not to your satisfaction.

>> Princess sends ticket packages anywhere from two to four weeks before the start of your cruise or cruise-tour. This package will contain tickets for your flights and transfers if you booked them through Princess in addition to the tickets for your cruise.

If you made your final payment more than two weeks ago and your travel agent has not delivered the information package, do call and bug your travel agent about it. You need the information so you can reserve shore excursions, review your flight schedules, etc.

Norm.
Old January 21st, 2002, 09:58 PM
Lana

Thanks Norm. I'll have to call her cause it has now been two weeks since we've paid for the entire cruise. I received a preliminary package when we met with the TA a couple of weeks ago but there was only a General Princess Book but no detailed description of shore excursions. Thanks again!