Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 16th, 2002, 01:53 PM
ames

Default Capt. Marvins website security

Just booked snorkel trip w/Capt. Marvins via their website. Didn't realize until after I pressed the "send" button that their site does not have the little padlock icon that insures the info. is sent securely. Has anyone had trouble with their credit card info. being stolen as a result of this?
Sponsored Links
Old January 16th, 2002, 08:33 PM
Fla Jack

Default Re: Capt. Marvins website security

Ames- Last February I booked a charter(40 people) thru Capt. Marvin & believe me it entailed a lot of e-mail. Had no problem & was extremely pleased with the service & the charter. Enjoy Stingray City Jack
Old January 18th, 2002, 12:21 PM
Mike Mastellar

Ames;
Even though SSL (Secured Sockets Layer) encryption is a good thing for sending secure data accross the internet, the little padlock means that it is a SSL connection.A negotiated encryption is agreed to at the intial SSL handshake. This encryption basically makes it a private connection. I would not be very worried about your credit card information being intercepted and used by someone else even if it is not a SSL connection.

There has yet to be a case prosecuted of anyone stealing credit card information "off the wire". It is possible to do but it is EXTREMELY difficult. Sort of like trying to catch a single gnat in a giant swarm.

THE MAJOR issue is the site that you send that information to. If that site is not secure a hacker can break in to it and steal yours and anyone else's credit card information off of the server. This is where credit card fraud really comes into play. Last year Egghead.com was hacked into and thousands of credit card numbers, names and expiration dates were stolen.

If a site does not use SSL encryption then I would feel that the rest of their site is not very secure, and I would not give them my credit card information online.

Also, Email is the worst way to send credit card information. This much more easily intercepted by credit theives. The best way is verbally over the phone with a business you know is legitimate.

Take Care;
Mike
Monday Chat Host (And Data Communications Professional)
Old January 20th, 2002, 05:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Kevin

I agree with everything Mike said.

However, it's probably no safer to call in your number. Think about it....where are they going to store your credit card # info after you call it in?? On their computer! Which makes it just as likely to be hacked and stolen as if you had given it over the web.

I find it pointless to even worry about credit card fraud. If, someday, you do have your card misused, you have very limited liability anyway.

Another strategy that I like to employ is to make sure that all of my cards are maxxed out at all times. That way, if someone does steal my card, they won't be able to buy anything more expensive than $1.98.
Old January 20th, 2002, 05:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Kevin

Oh, I forgot to mention....

I used Capt Marvin's in Dec. and had a fab time. We really enjoyed ourselves and felt it was a much better value than the ship tours.

I booked online btw

Kevin
Old January 23rd, 2002, 12:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

Hey, can someone please post the web address -- I'd like to check it out.

Harry