Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 27th, 2002, 03:11 PM
Passenger

Default Recent Dawn Cruisers

I am booked on the Dawn Princess in February out of S.J. and would like to hear from anyone who has recently returned. Can you please tell me what the passenger mix is. Are they still selling off spare capacity to the locals?
Sponsored Links
Old January 28th, 2002, 07:11 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Recent Dawn Cruisers

Was on the 1/12 sailing of the Dawn Princess. The mix was varied among ages, with mostly English and Americans. I had sailed on the Nordic Empress (out of San Juan) just 2 weeks before this and the ship was over 1/2 locals, not on Princess. Apparently they don't need to sell off the excess cabins at largely reduced prices.
Old January 28th, 2002, 01:50 PM
First Mate

Hello Carolyn...We were on the January 5th Southern Cruise on the Dawn and just loved it. We were on the Grand last May. We did not see to many locals at all. As the previous e-mail said, a lot of Americans and English. We never felt crowded because the Dawn is so well laid out. Most people I would say were between the ages of 40 to 70, even though some passengers were younger.

We thought the buffet was excellent. Never ate in the dining room once. Almost everything that was on the dining room menu was also at the buffet. We also ate twice at their new outdoor steakhouse on the pool deck, even though there is an $8 per person cover charge.

About the only thing we didn't like and be for-warned about is your return flight home from the San Juan Airport, especially if you are flying on Delta. First off everyone has to realize that on a Saturday or Sunday, the airport has about 10,000 people just flying into the airport to go on a cruise, and about another 10,000 people waiting to go home from their cruise. Anotherwards, 20,000 additional people at the airport. Since Delta has the most flights out of San Juan, you could end of waiting in line for hours just to check in at the ticket counter. The earlier your flight home, the better off you are. Our flight didn't leave San Juan to return home until 5-PM. We got to the airport at 10-AM from the ship and were in line until 1:20-PM before we reached the ticket counter. Then another 3 1/2 hours waiting for the flight. Gets very tension filled. If you are flying any other airline, there will be a wait, but not like Delta.

Hope this helps. Enjoy the trip. You will love the Dawn. If you have any more questions, just give me an e-amil.

Dave
Old January 28th, 2002, 05:52 PM
GREGG KLEINWACHTER

HI CAROLYN,
IF YOU HAPPEN TO BE ON THE 2/9 SAILING, WE HAVE A GROUP OF 5 COUPLES SO FAR, MEETING ON BOARD. E-MAIL ME IF YOU'D LIKE TO JOIN THE PARTY. SEE OUR POSTINGS HERE AND AT CRUISE CRITICS.COM
CRUISAYEAR
Old January 29th, 2002, 09:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

We were on the Dawn 1/12 - I don't believe that Princess is selling any cabins at the pier.
I will agree with David. The airport was a mess. Both our arrival and departure took a very long time. This was our third sail on the Dawn. We have never had that kind of experience at the airport.
Old January 30th, 2002, 10:16 AM
Admiral

Connie,

I would agree with you about Princess not selling cabins at the pier, I checked when we checked-in to see if I could purchase an upgrade and was told that wasn't being done.

RCI is sure causing a stink by deeply discounting to the locals.