Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 19th, 2002, 09:00 AM
First Mate

Default Taxi in St. Maarten?? - Please help

We are taking the Golden Princess on the Eastern Caribbean. We booked a snorkeling excursion in St. Thomas. We were planning on just taking a taxi to Orient Beach for our day there. We might also be interested in doing some shopping or buying some wine when we are done at the beach. I don't know anything about the area. Does anybody have any advice (where to shop, where to eat, potential problems, etc.)?
Replies are appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim
Sponsored Links
Old February 19th, 2002, 11:38 AM
seagarsmoker

Default Re: Taxi in St. Maarten?? - Please help

You'll be in port at Phillipsburgh (dutch side). Orient beach is a great place to go, by cab about ten bucks. Excellent places right on the beach to eat. You have 2 options for shopping. You can take a cab to Marigot (french side) and shop (also could have lunch there), cab from Marigot to Phillipsburgh is less than ten dollars. This option would give you a great way to seee most of the island and how different both sides are. Marigot has more 'botique' stores, excellent food and is next to the ocean.
You could just return to Phillipsburgh for shopping instedd of above. Prices on the dutch side are cheaper, but much more crowded.
Anyway, if you want more particulars, send me an email.
Old February 19th, 2002, 07:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Jim,
You can do all your shopping in town, close to the pier and as for getting a taxi to Orient beach, we've also done that, not a problem, plenty of taxi's. You may find another couple that also want to go and you can share the cab fare. There are also plenty of taxi's waiting at the beach to take you back to the pier, or you can pre-arrange with your driver to come back and pick you up at a certain time.

Enjoy the beach, lots of water activities, plenty of places to get a drink or something to eat, and also an un-limited supply of lounge chairs, enjoy!

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old February 20th, 2002, 07:53 AM
Cruise Maniac

I did the same thing your are planning. My husband and I took a taxi to Orient Beach. It cost us $12 for both of us to get there. The taxi is really a van and the more people that go the cheaper it is. when we got to the beach it started raining a bit and we had to seek shelter. We went to a bar on the beach to get something to eat and we were asked to leave because the tables were reserved for a tour group. we tried another bar just down the beach but no one came over to take our order after we waited for 10 mins. The people at the bar didn't seem very friendly so we decided to take a taxi back to the beach near the ship. We went back to the ship for lunch, it was free there so why not take advantage. We then took a water taxi to the near by beach and had a couple of drinks at a bar and did some shopping.

After all that we decided the our excursion to Orient beach was a big waste of time and money. The scenery while driving to Orient beach was not very nice. It is a very poor island and it shows. The beach was not spectacular. we did see one or two couples walking but us on the beach in the buff, which is what Orient beach is famous for. It was not worth it at all.

I would suggest you take the water taxi to the nearby beach and enjoy your day there. Say your money and spend it at more worthwhile things on St. Thomas or St. John's. Those are much nicer islands. Consider taking the Champagne Catamaran Excurision to St. John's. It was the highlight of our trip as far as shore excursions go.

We had never been on a cruise before or even in the Carribbean so that is our point of view. St. Martin was a big disapointment and that was the first island Golden stops at so we strated to get worried that all Carribean islands were going to be like this one. Luckily they weren't.

Enjoy your trip and hope my ramblings help.Jim wrote:
>
> We are taking the Golden Princess on the Eastern Caribbean.
> We booked a snorkeling excursion in St. Thomas. We were
> planning on just taking a taxi to Orient Beach for our day
> there. We might also be interested in doing some shopping or
> buying some wine when we are done at the beach. I don't know
> anything about the area. Does anybody have any advice (where
> to shop, where to eat, potential problems, etc.)?
> Replies are appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Jim
Old February 20th, 2002, 07:53 AM
Cruise Maniac

I did the same thing your are planning. My husband and I took a taxi to Orient Beach. It cost us $12 for both of us to get there. The taxi is really a van and the more people that go the cheaper it is. when we got to the beach it started raining a bit and we had to seek shelter. We went to a bar on the beach to get something to eat and we were asked to leave because the tables were reserved for a tour group. we tried another bar just down the beach but no one came over to take our order after we waited for 10 mins. The people at the bar didn't seem very friendly so we decided to take a taxi back to the beach near the ship. We went back to the ship for lunch, it was free there so why not take advantage. We then took a water taxi to the near by beach and had a couple of drinks at a bar and did some shopping.

After all that we decided the our excursion to Orient beach was a big waste of time and money. The scenery while driving to Orient beach was not very nice. It is a very poor island and it shows. The beach was not spectacular. we did see one or two couples walking but us on the beach in the buff, which is what Orient beach is famous for. It was not worth it at all.

I would suggest you take the water taxi to the nearby beach and enjoy your day there. Say your money and spend it at more worthwhile things on St. Thomas or St. John's. Those are much nicer islands. Consider taking the Champagne Catamaran Excurision to St. John's. It was the highlight of our trip as far as shore excursions go.

We had never been on a cruise before or even in the Carribbean so that is our point of view. St. Martin was a big disapointment and that was the first island Golden stops at so we strated to get worried that all Carribean islands were going to be like this one. Luckily they weren't.
Old February 21st, 2002, 09:23 AM
MamaTene

Jim, for jewelry shopping try Omni on Front Street (not the one right at the pier) ask for Sanu and tell him Chris from Ohio recommended him. Dont forget to "barter" with them! Up the street from Omni is the Jimmy Buffet Shop..neat store and further up is Guava Berry store ...gotta try it!
Numerous alcohol shops on the island right on Front Street..you cant make a mistake really!
For food, try DaLivio's which is past the shopping sector on Fron Street. At the pier in front of court house, turn left and walk up the street about 3/4 mile. It is on your left and has the BEST ITALIAN food I have ever had (with the exception of my dear mom ) I am 100% Italian and know what true Italian cooking should taste like!
Da Livio's has a covered terrace in the back where you can sit and enjoy the beautiful scenery, watch the sail boats, parasailers and jet skiers...sooo relaxing!
Old February 24th, 2002, 09:20 PM
Passenger

We are Cruising on the Golden on 4/6 but I spent almost 2 mounts all together in St. Maarten last year and am baffled what to do with my Family for the 1 day I am there but I have narrowed it down to 2 things which I suggest to you people.. #1 is a trip to Pinel Island. I don't suggest the excursion off the ship you can get a cab to take you to the dock (Guessing $10) and then the water Taxi is $5.00 round trip per person. It is the most beautiful beach I have been on. The other thing I suggest is Maho. There is a beach in Maho which is at the end of the airport runway and it is amazing to watch the planes come in and go out... there is also shopping there to and it is not even close to as crowded as Marigot or Phillipsburg will be. Prices are about the same and there is a restaurant called Cheri's which you can't help but enjoy. Hope this helps for anyone looking to do something a little different. If you have any other questions feel free to ask. Remember for anyone on the Golden you dock the same day as the one of the Disney ships so it will make for a really crowded day in Phillipsburg.