Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 20th, 2002, 02:34 PM
Henry

Default Alcohol on board.

Alcohol on board.
We have have 54 days to go. Now one it the group dose not want to go because he can not bring alcohol on board. Can he bring it in his carry-on?
Sponsored Links
Old February 20th, 2002, 03:21 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Alcohol on board.

No, they will confiscate it and hold it until the end of the cruise when it will be returned.
Old February 20th, 2002, 03:39 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Have him securely package it and place it in his checked luggage - they will not confiscate it from the checked luggage, but be very discrete about using that alcohol on board.
Old February 20th, 2002, 04:49 PM
ames

I hear it's okay to bring beer or wine, just not hard liquor. Can he settle for that?
Old February 20th, 2002, 05:09 PM
StacyK

He actually wants to back out of a fabulous vacation just because he can't bring his own booze? I'd say that he's being a little ridiculous! Is he aware that they do serve alcohol on the ship so he can still get his fix? And I suppose it's more expensive than lugging your own but it's still fairly reasonably priced. It's no more expensive than a normal restaurant. It's like bringing your own popcorn and soda to the movies. These companies are in business to make money and they'd lose an awful lot if everyone always brought their own booze. Tell him to try and sneak some in his checked luggage and if they take it away, then he'll have to take his wallet out for a couple drinks! I wouldn't say it's worth canceling a trip for!
Old February 20th, 2002, 07:24 PM
Admiral

Buy your booze in the plastic bottles - place it in a 1 or 2 gallon ziploc bag - place it in your checked luggage. No on will confiscate it. As for being discreet - I have been on many Princess cruises - used their ice - their glasses - and took my own mixed drink wherever I pleased - Noone has ever pulled the glass out of my hand. Good luck!

Ron
Old February 21st, 2002, 08:50 AM
First Mate

In the pre-cruise info we just received, it said if you were bringing wine or champagne onboard for a special celebration, there would be a $10 corking fee if used in the restaurant. If this is true, then we will have to remember to pack a corkscrew. We are planning on celebrating our anniv, so if my info is incorrect, please let me know. Thanks, Gloria
Old February 21st, 2002, 08:16 PM
alice

the corking charge is no matter what is like a service charge for not buying their's. So doesnt mater if you bring a cork screw or not unless your poss. doing it in your room.
Old February 21st, 2002, 09:50 PM
Cruisin' Chris

Just reading my tickets today for 3/10. Noted that the passenger contract at the end was updated 12/01. The new language clearly states that the only alcohol that may be brought on board is wine or champagne. All other liquor, including duty free liquor, will be gathered and held until the end of the cruise. If you wish to drink your wine or champagne in the dining room or other public space you will be charge a $10/bottle corkage fee.

You could smuggle liquor on board, but technically that puts you in violation of your contract of passage. Potential consequences...we'll I'll leave that to you to ponder.

Considering that Princess just implemented the policy in December, I would hazard that it was in reaction to revenue losses post 9-11. THey might change the policy back - who knows. A small thing, everything considered.
Old February 23rd, 2002, 12:01 PM
Cruisinpat

We just returned from the Ocean Princess. It is true that you can't bring alcohol on board that ship but if you pack it correctly you won't have any problem. We put our Captain Morgan rum in water bottles, wrap them in bubble wrap and then in a ziploc bag. Check them thru and there's no problem.
Have a great cruise!
Old February 23rd, 2002, 04:20 PM
First Mate

I realize that if we drink the wine in the dining room there would be a charge, but we have a balcony and the thought of a glass of wine on the balcony seems pretty nice to me! Thanks for everyone's input.
Old February 23rd, 2002, 09:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

It actually had nothing to do with 9/11. The policy was effective on 9/1. I spoke with Princess and it was being done to increase revenues.
Old February 26th, 2002, 11:16 AM
Henry

Hi CruiseinPat,
Thanks for the INFO. It looks like you could put your Captain Morgan in a large Coke bottle and get by the carry-on X-Ray machine.
Was your Captain Morgan put in your checked bag or your carry-on Bag?

Thanks,
Henry

Cruisinpat wrote:
>
> We just returned from the Ocean Princess. It is true that you
> can't bring alcohol on board that ship but if you pack it
> correctly you won't have any problem. We put our Captain
> Morgan rum in water bottles, wrap them in bubble wrap and
> then in a ziploc bag. Check them thru and there's no problem.
> Have a great cruise!