Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 4th, 2002, 06:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Sun Princess Southbound

We will be cruising the Sun Princess Southbound from Seward on 5/20/2002. Just wondering if there's anyone out there who is taking the same cruise and, if someone has taken this cruise before.

JJ
Sponsored Links
Old March 4th, 2002, 07:48 PM
Bluebell

Default Re: Sun Princess Southbound

My sister, brother-in-law and myself are taking this cruise. First time cruiser so don't have any experience cruising. However have "LURKED" for a while absorbing information from experienced cruisers. We will also be doing the six day land cruise before sailing. Will start at Fairbanks to two nights then Mt McKinley for two nights and finally Anchorage for two nights. I am getting so "EXCITED." I will have an inside cabin and my sister will have a balcony, so I will also have access to a balcony for viewing.
Old March 4th, 2002, 09:54 PM
Passenger

We will be on this cruise and the one before it. We board in Vancouver on 5/13 and will ride northbound and then stay on for the southbound also. See you on board.
Old March 4th, 2002, 10:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

We did the land tour last year from Seward to Fairbanks. We left the ship in Seward then stayed two nights at the Princess Kenai Lodge. While in Seward, we went on the whale/wildlife tour of Resurrection Bay, just outstanding......... The bus ride from Seward to Anchorage wasn't bad either, we stopped at Portage and the wildlife refuge park with a couple of rest breaks along Turnagain Arm, if you come that way look for beluga whales along the upper arm. Anchorage was interesting. We stayed two nights at the Princess Denali Lodge and toured the park, saw caribou, grizzlies and one with two cubs (didn't see the first moose though!). Enjoy the land tour and hope to meet you guys aboard.

JJ
Old March 6th, 2002, 03:49 PM
Passenger

My partner and I, and Mother will be on this cruise. Its our first, and we are excited!
Old March 7th, 2002, 06:30 AM
Admiral

We just got off the Sun on a pnanma cruise. It was our first Princess cruise. We are veteran cruisers. We loved the personal choice dining. Be aware that they try to get you to make reservations at the open dining room especially if you are six or eight people, but the only times you can make reservations is 6:00 &;45. I don not call that personal choice. We stopped trying to make reservations and just walked up when we we ready to eat with no problem. Just one night we waited about ten minutes. Lots I liked about Princess, but things I did not, like having to carry your pol towel around all day. They leave them in your room and you must keep it with you all day. This is the only line that does that . Smoking was not allowed in public dining rooms, but it seemed to be allowed anywhere else with no designated smoking areas, like on other lines. I loved having a refrigerator and had no [problem bringing on wine, beer or soda from ports. Food was good and available 24 hours. We ate in the lido on two nights and the food was excellent, mayber better than dining room!!! Service good. I love to cruise and have never had a bad one. I try not to get uptight about teh small things and would go with Princess agina, but it would not be my first choice, but you will have a great time!!! KG
Old March 7th, 2002, 07:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks for the information Karen. As with you, I also have a few problems with Princess, however, I adapt well. The personal choice does take a little getting used to. We love the Lido buffet, especially for breakfast (port themes), can't do the salmon omlete though...blachhh!!!!!!!!!!

We like late dinner, so we do the bistro after 8:00pm and, of course, cheesecake and coffee at midnight.

good cruisen'
JJ
Old March 9th, 2002, 01:21 AM
Passenger

hi everyone,
thanks for the feedback on the sun princess. we're sailing 3/16,next sat. we did the grand & loved it. i do feel charging for ice cream is tacky though. also, the cork fee of $10. we're on a 10 night sailing so if we bring a bottle of wine to the dinner table each evening, that's $100. i'd like to bring it already opened in a wine bag for the principle of it. what do you think? AND, the automatic gratuity being charged to your credit card,$10 per person i believe. when do you ever pay for something before you receive it?not good business. when we meet our cabin steward we give him $50 & let him know the other half will be given at the end of the cruise,this on a 7 day cruise. the room service server gets $2 every time he delivers something. our dining room servers, ass't's, maitre di hotel also get tipped. but i feel it's up to me to do! how do you feel about this? i'm really interested!
thanks,
pepper