Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 9th, 2002, 04:46 PM
Yeoman

Default Choosing balcony for 1st time

We are looking at taking the Dawn Princess, (sister ship of the Sun, Sea, and Ocean) to Tahiti, etc. next spring to celebrate our 35th wedding anniversary. We have sailed on Princess 6 times in various cabins, both inside and out but never before with a balcony cabin. I am looking for advice from past cruisers of any of these 4 ships. Is there any particular deck that you would choose over another for a first time balcony? We would like to be able to sit on a couple of chairs out there for morning juice and coffee so a little space would be nice. A mini suite is out of our price range. I know that on the Grand, the upper deck balconies are a little bigger, is this also true on these ships?

Any comments and assistance would be most appreciated, we would like to book this fairly soon.

Thanks, Linda
Sponsored Links
Old March 9th, 2002, 05:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Choosing balcony for 1st time

Linda,
My husband and I cruised on the Dawn Princess in a balcony cabin on the Aloha deck, # A546 and simply loved it. It was very private due the fact that no one could see us from the side or above and we couldn't look onto anyone else either. There was ample room in the cabin and you can't go wrong booking a balcony cabin on this deck. We will be sailing on her again in October from Hawaii to Tahiti for our 40th wedding anniversary.
So my advice is go for balcony, your 35th anniversary only comes along once. You won't be sorry. By the way, you will have a hard time ever going back to an inside or an outside cabin once you have had a balcony.
Old March 9th, 2002, 05:36 PM
Admiral

I'm pretty sure that balconies are the same size in regular rooms as mini-suites on Dawn. The nice thing about those is that they are actually private. On Grand, Golden, and Star balconies are all different sizes and you can actually look down into other people's baconies between the Baja, Caribe, and Dolphin decks. I would definitely get a balcony on Dawn if they're avalible.
Old March 10th, 2002, 06:41 PM
Shar

Jason,

For whatever it's worth - maybe the port and starboard minis balconies would be similar to a regular stateroom, but the aft minis have huge balconies. On Dawn's Caribe deck (C747) our balcony must have been about 8 feet deep - from the sliding doors to the railing. It was big enough for a four-person plastic table with four chairs and two loungers. The balcony also had a storage shed that could have accomodated another person :o)

Shar
(Who is still making payments on that mini) :o(
Old March 10th, 2002, 09:53 PM
Yeoman

Thank-you for your replies, I really do appreciate your taking the time. Patty, the cruise you are doing in Oct. is the one that we are considering for next April. Tahiti and Hawaii, what could be better for a big time anniversary, huh? Do you already have your cabin selection made? Have you ever cruised in that region before?

I know what you mean about probably never wanting to go back to a "regular" cabin again, I felt that way after our first outside cabin!

Again, thanks for the replies. Linda
Old March 12th, 2002, 12:56 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

Linda

The only thing I want to chime in with (as I have read elsewhere) is about looking in on other balconies.

We were on the Sea two weeks ago with one level above us and *never* did I get that feeling. I was also impressed that they had rubber seals on the partitions between room, so the only way someone that way could look through was teeny hole.

I've read it before and wanted to let you know I have never had a prob with the privacy on a balcony on Princess ... by the way, would be happy to send you a nice pic of my partner in the cabin to give you a visual

Harry
Old March 12th, 2002, 09:01 PM
Yeoman

Thank-you Harry, we were on the Sea Princess 2 wks. after her maiden voyage in 1999, loved her, and met some of the nicest people that we have ever met on a cruise! Which deck were you on? And if you don't mind my asking, what was your cabin #?

I'd love to see the picture but I am very much a novice computer user (with a very old system that my daughter gave us), so you might have to walk me through downloading it or whatever I'm supposed to do with it. (sorry for the total "electronic ignorance", my kids think that it's great that they finally know more than me about something), that remains to be seen, of course. But if you want to take a chance on sending it to a "Gramma dweeb", go for it!

Thanks, Linda
Old March 13th, 2002, 10:25 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Choosing balcony for 1st time

No problem, Linda. I will just embed it in a private email to your AOL account.
I'll try and scan it today at work.

Harry
Old March 13th, 2002, 10:37 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Choosing balcony for 1st time

Oh forgot to post that we were on the Baja deck (as we called it, "Ba-Ja") B704 (aft, port side

Harry
Old March 14th, 2002, 05:47 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: Re: Choosing balcony for 1st time

Thanks, I appreciate your thoughtfulness. Linda