Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 18th, 2002, 08:40 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to cody
Default booze

Well what i hear is that booze cost alot on the ship so i was wondering if i could pack some booze in my luggage and just keep it in my room for a late drink and then some
Sponsored Links
Old March 18th, 2002, 08:59 PM
Admiral

Default Re: booze

"Booze" on a ship generally costs a lot less than a similar drink would cost in an upscale restaurant or hotel in a major city. In fact, a lot less. The "drinking venues" on most ships are superb... and it will cost a lot less than in a land based facility.
Old March 19th, 2002, 05:36 AM
First Mate

The posts I've read in the past couple of weeks since I've been a visitor here seem to say that the cruise line, at least Princess, will allow you to bring wine or champagne on board but not liquor.........go figure! They sell both on board, so why make the distinction? Anyway, at least one person has said that they purchased a bottle on board and it was cheaper than at their local liquor store, and actually purchased extra to take home at such a good price. Others have said that they camoflaged it in a water bottle and packed it in their checked luggage. I don't know if any of this advice works, so you'll have to be the judge!
Old March 19th, 2002, 03:14 PM
Passenger

I'm sailing on Princess this Saturday, 3/23, and from what I understand, and what people have told me who have sailed Princess, they will confiscate any "booze" they find and give it back to you upon your departure. These days, bags are x-rayed! Just admit you're going to pay a bit more if you want to drink, and go have fun!
Old March 19th, 2002, 05:22 PM
First Mate

Princess has realized that many people take a cruise to celebrate a special event, anniversary, etc. They also realize that many have their favorite wine or champagne which they might not be able to provide. Hence, they now allow you to bring your own wine or champagne onboard. However, this is for consumption in your environs. If you want your wine served at dinner, they do impose a corkage fee. If anyone has more information on the bottle price of wine at the onboard liquor store, please respond here. If bottled wine is reasonable priced in the onboard store, I'm not that fussy about carrying extra baggage (i.e. bottles of wine) in my suitcase.

Old March 19th, 2002, 08:35 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: booze

Liquor or wine is fairly inexpensive compared to land prices, also consider what land your in. The price of wine or liquor on board is, don't hold me to this, duty free.
Old March 20th, 2002, 10:23 AM
Kathy Soule

Hi gloria we were thinking about taking a box of wine on board the plane. What do you think would that work? thanks
Old March 20th, 2002, 01:27 PM
First Mate

As far as liquor, we packed a bottle of rum in our checked luggage & had no problem at all. This was 1/13/02 on Golden. just made sure it was extra well padded. Also, our experience buying it at St. Marten was that we bought it in Phillipsburg & put it in our beach bag to carry it around the rest of the day. When we re-boarded, we left it in there, it went through x-ray, I clearly saw it, but no one said anything & it was not taken away. It didn't matter, we didn't need it on the ship, but that was our experience. I don't believe drinks are cheaper than on land, but not that much more either. We liked to have a drink on our balcony late afternoon before dinner. The liquor on the islands, I thought, was MUCH cheaper than back home & we did stock up.
Old March 21st, 2002, 06:38 PM
Beginner

I've been on several Princess cruises and you can order a fifth of several top-shelf brands of liquor from room service complete with mixer and fruit for use in your cabin for 20-30 bucks. I'd rather come off the hip another $10 or so for this than think up some way to sneak on a case of Bud......
Old March 23rd, 2002, 09:57 AM
reedoll

what if you have nips in your carry-on. when i travel i take 1 or 2 sleeves of nips with me - depending on the flights and how many people are going on the trip with me - and the nips are used for airline travel. do you think they would confiscate any unused nips at check-in???
Old March 23rd, 2002, 08:39 PM
Admiral

What are nips?
Old March 24th, 2002, 09:59 AM
First Mate

I heard you can buy booze in the on board duty free store and take it back to your cabin. I s this true? Or do the hold it untill you are leaving the ship on the last day?
Leave in 11 days! The Sun Princess to Panama!
Old March 26th, 2002, 05:31 PM
rottawa

That is exactly what we did. We put some liquor in plastic water bottles and then in Zip lock bags to avoid breakage. It was nice to have a drink before dinner and a night cap in our room. We of course did buy drinks on the ship. I also brought on my own wine and champagne. We took a bottle to dinner each night and were not charged a corkage fee. It helped cut down our expenses especially since our Canadian dollar takes a beating.
Old April 1st, 2002, 11:19 AM
reedoll

nips are the small individual bottles of liquor that they serve you on airplanes.
Old April 6th, 2002, 10:02 AM
Cruise Maniac

If you purchase booze in the onboard shops it is held until the last day and then returned to you.