Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 26th, 2002, 07:18 AM
Beginner

Default PRINCESS VS CELEBRITY

I've sailed on Princess 3 times - Sun 7 days Western Carribbean; Royal 10 days Venice/Rome and Royal 10 days Montreal/Baltimore - no complaints with Princess.

I do have a question - for those of you that have done Princess and Celebrity - especially the newer Millennium class ships . . .how do they compare? . . . . I am currently
booked on the Constellation Dover/Barcelona 31AUG02 and just curious what comparisons others would make.

Thanks in advance

Mike
Sponsored Links
Old March 26th, 2002, 09:31 AM
hamlet

Default Re: PRINCESS VS CELEBRITY

Mike -

There have been countless threads on this topic here and on other boards. I will have some answers for myself next month when I go on my first Celebrity cruise.

This will be my 6th and I too am a 3 time Princess cruiser (Royal - Baltic, Crown - Panama Canal, Ocean - S. Carib) and have been pleased with them. However, on my last 2 cruises I found that the quality of food went down. I also thought it was time to try some other cruiselines. I will be traveling with someone who worked on board Princess ships for over 7 years who is sure to have some opinions too! I will post here about our experience when I am back from my Millennium cruise, but feel free to write me directly if you have any questions too.
Old March 26th, 2002, 12:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: PRINCESS VS CELEBRITY

I have been on Princess 4 times and Celebrity (Infinity) once. We were Princess lovers, and still are, but the Infinity was beautiful and I'd say a step above Princess (Dawn and Grand). The food was a bit better, the shows were better, service was excellent. We're going on both this year - Millenium in August and Sea Princess in December, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend either cruise line.
Old March 28th, 2002, 08:01 AM
David Starkey

Food and stateroom size are better on Celebrity than some of the Princess ships.
Old March 28th, 2002, 07:52 PM
jwave

Food marginally better on Celebrity..more nouvelle cuisine than Princess. Smaller portions (but you can always get two). We actually liked Princess food quite well. We preferred Princess' staterooms (though we were in a minisuite on Princess and a regular room on Celebrity. I found the decor more to my taste on Princess. They had muted colors, elegants creams and tans. Understated. Celebrity was very scandinavian (sort of), sparse feeling, in navy and white (good nautical colors) but the carpet was navy with swirls of other colors (to hide dirt I am sure), but it was too busy for me. In general I found the carpeting VERY busy and bright on Celebrity, it made the ship look cheaper to me.

Service was excellent but cold on Celebrity, while on Princess it was very good( read: not as excellent) but much warmer. Even on a much larger ship I felt less crowded on Princess (and it was the Grand). For the money, I would choose Princess.
Old March 30th, 2002, 11:26 AM
cruisin' dj

mike,
my wife and i have sailed on celebrity twice,(mercury and galaxy) and princes twice(golden and grand). celebrity was very nice, with very good food, but i would choose princess, and here's why:
first, the service i have recieved from princess staff has been excellent. willingness to help, positive attitude, and friendliness was not evident with the celelbrity staff. for example, when i arrived on golden 2 weeks ago, jet blue had lost one of my bags.though i had not booked air through the cruise line, the pursers staff worked very hard to see my bag was waiting in the next port, including calling me once a day wih a progress report. they were friendly, efficiant, and extended themselves to assist me.
the last time i was on celebrity, i asked for steak and eggs for breakfast, and was told "no we can't do that ". when i asked the maitre'd why this could not be accomidated, he replied "because then we would have to do it for everyone". my first day on the grand i asked for steak and eggs, and the reply was "how would you like your steak cooked?"
i agree with one of the above posters that the atmosphere is stuffy aboard celebrity, and loose and fun aboard princess. i also agree that whovever picks the art/decor on celebrity is on wayyy out in left field. but the biggest reason i would choose princess is for personnal choice dining. i LOVE eating whenever i want, with who i want. i did not see a decline in service, as some have suggested. personnal choise made my cruise more relaxing to me, and that is the name of the game.
don't get me wrong. celebrity did a lot of things right, but princess has the best "package" of what suits me...personal choice, service that puts the customer first, and a beautifull ships that never feel crowded.

best regards

cruisin' dj