Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 11th, 2002, 04:58 PM
nick

Default St Thomas/St Martin Excursions

Hi, My wife and I will be on the Grand Princess in May and I was wondering if any one knows which excursions are good. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old April 11th, 2002, 07:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: St Thomas/St Martin Excursions

Hi Nick,
If you like to snorkel, you can catch a cab and take it to the Red Hook Ferry over to St. Johns/Trunk bay. St. Johns is a beautiful island, worth the time to get over there, just save some time for shopping in St. Thomas. There are also ship excersions over there, but this is easy to do on your own when in St. Thomas.

Last trip to St. Maartens, we did the America's Cup Regatta. One of the best excersions we've done so far, so if you like sailing and working the ship, this one is great! I think you can only book this through the cruiseline, its pricey, but worth the $.

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 11th, 2002, 09:37 PM
Denny

Nick, my wife and I have done the Golden Eagle Catamaran in St. Maartens. We enjoyed it so much we have done it 3 times. You sail for about an hour or so, then anchor at an island. Snorkel for a few hours and then head back. Lots of fun and a great party while you sail. They even served us drinks and snacks in the water while snorkling.
Old April 12th, 2002, 06:31 AM
Passenger

We went on Golden in January & in St. Martaan did the America's Cup Regatta and agree with Donna - it was very fun and well worth it. We were lucky enough to have one of the cruisers with not much to do in the back of the sailboat & he videotaped quite a bit of it. We talked with him afterwards, gave him $10 & he sent us a copy of the videotape. If you're able, you WILL be put to work. We had a great time, but I think my husband didn't think he'd have to do quite so much work "grinding". This trip provided beer & soft drinks throughout.

In St. Thomas we did the New Waves snorkeling excursion to St. John. It was a fast, fun, (sometimes not so smooth) boat ride to 2 different snorkeling spots around the island. At the second spot, we could swim up to a beach if we wanted. They had shrimp cocktail afterwards & I believe something to drink, but I can't remember what.

We heard really good things about the catamaran snorkel and the private yacht snorkel trips. This was our first time in St. Thomas and we didn't want too long of an excursion, (not over 4 hours) so we chose the quick boat ride with more time spent snorkeling than in getting to the snorkeling spot.

We loved St. Martaan, but were not crazy about St. Thomas (I think we're in the minority there) and next time I think we would do the catamaran excurusion. (See? I'm already thinking about next time!)

Have a great trip
Old April 12th, 2002, 06:35 AM
Passenger

I should have mentioned both of these trips were pre-arranged through Princess online - which turned out to be a good thing because on the snorkel trip, one of their boats had broken down & they could only take 1/2 of the people who had signed up & they took the ones who had signed up first.

Also, anyone who needs prescription goggles - you can get them ON the ship. Not through the excursion (at least ours), but the SHIP dive shop has them & you can rent them. I found this out too late (someone on our excursion had done this) and wasn't able to get them for this trip. I have since gone snorkeling with prescription goggles & cannot even believe what a difference it makes.
Old April 12th, 2002, 11:23 AM
nick

Default Re: Re: St Thomas/St Martin Excursions

Thanks everyone. The catamaran sounds fun. We both like to snorkel. It helps to hear what other people thought.
Thanks,
Nick
Old April 12th, 2002, 11:55 AM
cgbanks

We also tried the Golden Eagle Catamaran in St. Maarten. I was fantastic!!! After we got to the island the water was a little rough for people to snorkle but we didn't care because we enjoyed sunning on the beach. They offered lots of different things to drink and had snacks on the way back. We truly recommend it.

In St. Thomas we did the St. John Island tour. It was interesting and I recommend it if you like riding in an open air vehicle and driving around the island. There were some people going to some type of beach tour that looked great also.

We booked through Princess.

Feel free to ask any questions.

Cindy
Old April 26th, 2002, 04:57 AM
First Mate

In St. Marten, you can always go to Orient Beach. It is a beautiful beach, but be warned. Clothing optional!
Old April 29th, 2002, 08:44 PM
First Mate

We also did the New Waves snorkel to St. John from St. Thomas. It was some of the best snorkeling and the guys running it were great. The beach we went to on St. John was Honeymoon beach.

We've also done the kayak expedition in the mangrove lagoon on another trip and had a great time on that excursion. The ride over there is certainly an experience.

We took the Pinell Island snorkeling trip in St. Martin. I can't recommend that trip wholeheartedly.