Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 14th, 2002, 06:24 PM
First Mate

Default Which is Pacific Princess' Final Voyage?

I am considering taking the Pacific Princess Trans-Atlantic Voyage, 10/27/02 (17 days) from NYC to Rome. Although I haven't read this directly, putting "2 and 2 together" tells me that this should be, in fact, the last cruise of "The Love Boat", since press says that this ship will be retired after the 2002 Bermuda season. Since this particuar trip ends in Rome in mid November, I can't imagine that there would be anything else scheduled subsequently. The price for this trip is unbelievably low (about $1750 for an outside cabin, including taxes and port charges), which makes me think that my assumption may be correct. My questions to anyone in the know out there are as follows:

1. Is this the last PP voyage?
2. Would taking the last trip aboard this vessel be a mistake, or rather could it turn into a positive experience (i.e. possible hoopla about the last Love Boat trip).
3. Would it be a mistake to cross the Atlantic on a vessel this size--I have been on three cruises before, including Alaska with 18' seas, and had no problem, granted the ship was 70K tons.
4. Will I be the only person under age 65 on the boat? (I am 40)

Seems to me that this may be my chance to be a little part of cruise ship history, and cash in on a big bargain at the same time.

Thanks to anyone for your remarks.
Sponsored Links
Old April 16th, 2002, 11:03 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Which is Pacific Princess' Final Voyage?

David,

If you have the cash and the time off, go for it! The regrets the other way probably would be much stronger.

1. Yes, it's the last voyage of MV Pacific Princess, the original "Love Boat" of television fame, for Princess Cruises. The parent company, P&O Princess Cruises Plc. (LSE: POC) has sold the vessel. Her new owners will take posession shortly after her arrival in Rome.

2. Princess's crews are pretty professional, and it's entirely possible that there will be some special commemmorative events. I doubt that there will be any problems with service, etc.

3. I have crossed the Atlantic on a smaller vessel. She might rock & roll a bit more than something larger, but the stabilizers do work pretty well.

4. Probably not, but it's hard to say for sure. At that time of year, it's unlikely that you will find very many parents with school-age children but you probably will find some "thirty-something" and "forty-something" adults who don't have children.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.
Old April 18th, 2002, 01:16 AM
Gil

Default Re: Which is Pacific Princess' Final Voyage?

One of the best cruises we've ever taken was on the Pacific Princess Trans Atlantic (Barcelona to Buenos Aires). It was a great time, good entertainment, good food.
It was very nice not to have stops every day - just fun days at sea.
Old April 24th, 2002, 01:33 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Which is Pacific Princess' Final Voyage?

Norm,

Thanks for your thoughts. We have booked two cabins (4 persons) on the NYC-Rome trip.

I'm a bit puzzled by yoru response, as my travel agent (who only books cruises in South Florida) tells me that Princess decided not to let the boat go, and plans to continue the Bermuda trip for one more final season, since sales have been much higher than Princess had predicted.

In any event, I think it will be a thrilling trip, for a reasonable amount of money. The cruise for 16 days and nights was about $1,800.00, and a one way, one day, plane trip back to the US was $1,200 on Delta!!! Granted, we opted for an upgradable full-fare ticket.

Thanks again.