Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 21st, 2002, 03:33 PM
First Mate

Default Sun Princess vs RCI Splendour, 10 day Mex Riv vs. 10 day Wes

Thanks for any suggestions input. I am trying to decide between these two. Have done both Princess and RCCL ships but have become accustomed to both of their newer ships. Have done neither of these ships or their itineraries. We are easy to please and know these ships are both some of the "older" of the fleet and do not have the latest in terms of amenities. Have not done either itinerary- the stops at Belize and Honduras on RCI interest me- the ones at Acapulco and Zihuatenejo on Princess.
Any suggestions? My agent says go for Princess.
???
Sponsored Links
Old April 21st, 2002, 04:22 PM
dsawyer

Default Re: Sun Princess vs RCI Splendour, 10 day Mex Riv vs. 10 day

No question for me - The Sun Princess would be my choice. I did a 10 day cruise on Splendour 3 years ago and it was my least favorite of all my 11 cruises. Carpet was soiled in our stateroom and we felt the food was not too good. I feel Princes takes good care of their ships and I have heard that The Sun is still in great shape.
Old April 23rd, 2002, 01:22 AM
Passenger

did the panama canal last month on the sun. ship is clean, room service the best, cabin steward great, entertainment better in the wheelhouse bar than in the theatre, BUT, the food the worst we've ever had. i never knew cauliflower could be served sooo many ways, day after day after day. this was not a typo. the stabilizers have not worked since the ship was in a hurricane last year so we rocked and rolled a lot, our friends were sick. i was told the ship will be in dry dock in sep't. for two weeks to get them fixed. we were in the horizon court on the top deck one midnight when all the dishes came crashing down. i never sailed on RCL but i do know i would never sail on this ship again. don't waste your money in the sterling steakhouse, $8 pp for meat that was not edible. they said it came from oaklahoma, know it had to come from outside our country. all the meat was not good no matter where you had it . couldn't eat the fish because it wasn't fresh, we were at sea for 10 days. our waiter would shake his head no when we asked what fish we should order. most times we went to the buffet just so we could select different foods. we had a balcony cabin which was a decent size but the bathroom was so small the comedian made fun of it. you had to dry off in the shower before stepping out of it. i'm not exaggerating! we're going back to celebrity! the staff and crew were wonderful, getting on and off hassle free, & the ship was very clean,especially since it's 7 years old. there was talk of the line diverting us to aruba instead of cartegena,colombia,but they didn't . we would not get off the ship. two days after we were there one american was kidnapped & 2 tourists killed, then they pulled it off the itinerary. they should also pull limon, costa rica off it. there was a protest going on outside the ship so they had to cancel all excursions.
sorry i got longwinded. hope you make the right decision with our hardearned american dollar.
pepper
Old April 23rd, 2002, 11:40 AM
Passenger

Pepper,

Sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience. We have been on the Sea (Ensenada to Hawaii) and the Ocean Princess (back to back cruise) and had balcony cabins. Yes I agree the bathrooms are small, but how much time do you spend in them? RCCL are even smaller. We enjoyed all three of our cruises. Food was good, service was wonderful and ships very clean . We have booked the Sun (again a balcony cabin ) for Oct to the Mexican Riveria for 10 days. So we will see, by then the stabilizers should be fixed.

Dsawyer,

Hope you book the Sun Princess, so far can't find anyone that is booked on this cruise. We are going on the Oct. 27, 2002 for the 10 day Mexican Riveria. Have been to all but Zihuatanejo on other cruises, but don't mind going back. We live in Northern California, so we are driving down the night before and leaving our car at the Sheraton, we got a park and cruise package. Hope to see you on board with us.
Old April 23rd, 2002, 11:42 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Sun Princess vs RCI Splendour, 10 day Mex Riv vs. 10

Sorry the last message was to Nancy, but Dsawyer you can read it to.
Old April 28th, 2002, 11:04 AM
First Mate

Unlike Pepper, my wife and I had a great time on our recent ten day Panama Canal cruise on the SUN PRINCESS. Food was very good, including that in the Sterling Steakhouse, as was the service from every Princess employee that we encountered. Very much enjoyed shore excursions in Panama (train ride), Costa Rica (jungle river cruise), and Grand Cayman (See & Sea). Had calm seas throughout with no more than 4-5 foot waves so trip was very smooth. Princess certainly gave us our money's worth.
Old May 4th, 2002, 11:53 AM
Emmy

Just returned from the Sun Princess on its partial transit through the Canal. We enjoyed our cruise especially the ports but being 46 & 48 years we found the age demographics a bit too old for us.This we felt influenced the entertainment. We did not find the entertainment as good as Royal Caribbean and the food on some nights was not that good. Service in the dining room could have been better but think it was just our two servers. We got to meet the headwaiter many times as he came around to fill the empty water glasses on about 3 occasions. The asst waiter was not attentive to this. We have sailed on Splendor of the Seas and it was our best cruise to date. It was within its first year of sailing but is a beautiful ship and in my opinion more spectacular than Sun PRincess. The atrium is outstanding as is the dining room with two tier level and beautiful staircase as you enter form the second floor. There are ceiling to floor windows and so light and airy. I found the dining room on Princess dark and dreary with very dark paneling and low ceilings which made the noise level high. The differences between the two are subtle but depending on your age for us I think a 10 day cruise on Royal Caribbean would be a better choice. Must say we did enjoy our cruise and prefer Royal Caribbean by a slight margin. E-mail me if you have any further questions.

Emmy