Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 23rd, 2002, 01:04 AM
First Mate

Default PADI Cert Program on The Grand??

My husband found out tonight that the Grand offers PADI scuba diving certification programs aboard the ship. He called Princess right away (as this has always been something he's wanted to do - SCUBA!) and booked himself into the program.

Has anyone ever done these classes aboard any of the Princess ships? If so - did it take up a lot of your time? Was it fun? Was it worth doing?

The first 2 days of this program consists of classroom work in the morning and training in the pool in the afternoon. (days 2 and 3 of the cruise). Day 4 which will be Grand Cayman -will be "some classroom" (probably early morning?)

No instruction at all ( day off ) at port Majahual.

Finally in Cozumel, no classroom but you do 2 open water dives, the last I'm sure will be the test for the open water certification. They said it was a 4 day program.

My worry is that all this will take up a lot of time on this vacation! Prevent us from doing other excursions or shopping on our own, etc.

I am so torn! Please if anyone has ever done this can you tell me how it was? I would love to learn to scuba, but I also want to relax, have time to shop, bake on the beach - maybe swim with the dolphins ( a dream of mine!).

Help! Thank you for anything you can tell me- good or bad!

deja

booking soon - 10th anniversary cruise in August....
Sponsored Links
Old April 23rd, 2002, 11:32 AM
MikeInPgh

Default Re: PADI Cert Program on The Grand??

I did a refresher course on the Dawn Princess last year and the New Waves staff is great. That said, taking a full Open Water Course would take up a lot of time. My suggestion would be to complete the course and pool work at a dive shop near where you live and then work with Princess to complete the open Water dives.

Diving is a great way to experieince your vacation and once you get hooked, you are hooked for life.

I commend your husband for doing it the right way and getting certified. It is the safe and sane way to dive.

Good luck.
Old April 23rd, 2002, 05:15 PM
First Mate

Mike,
Oh wow - thank you so much, what a great idea!! I never even thought to start the course at a local dive shop ( I live in NJ and there are plenty of them around)- then complete the open water dives on the cruise!

That solves my dilemna- I didn't want this to take up the entire cruise and your solution is perfect!!

I will definately start looking into it.

Thank you again!!

deja

booking soon - 10th anniversary cruise in August....
Old April 23rd, 2002, 05:43 PM
Admiral

That's what I did last year prior to our E. Caribbean cruise. I took the classroom and everything up to the open water test here in Dallas, and then just did the 2 test dives and was certified! Sure beats diving in a murky lake!
Old April 23rd, 2002, 10:09 PM
First Mate

Thank you guys so much!

We've started looking into some of the local PADI shops here. I think what we'll do is get certified over the summer - and then be able to just book a few dive excursions on our cruise.

I really didn't want this certification class taking up or being the focus of the vacation. I can't be that structured when I am away.

Doing it over the summer - even if we have to do our open water dives in a gross lake (ugh) will get us certified and then we can dive on our cruise. It sounds perfect.

My dream is to dive with the dolphins! Eeek! What's next? I'll have to get into underwater photography! lol!

deja

P.S. Doing the Open Water Certification over the summer will tide me over until the cruise in October- and really give me something to look forward to!
Old May 1st, 2002, 09:07 PM
Admiral

deja,

I have heard from several sources that doing the certification during the cruise is not too demanding if you get the course materials and study them in advance so that you don't have to spend a lot of time studying during the cruise. That way, you just attend the classes and take the tests during the first two days and you do the pool dives and the open water dives with the group. At the end of the cruise, you have your certification with minimal time spent during the cruise itself. If you don't learn the material ahead of time, though, you probably will spend much of the cruise with your head buried in the textbooks.

Norm.