Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 24th, 2002, 05:15 PM
First Mate

Default ADDENDUM to Bob's Indispensable Grand Princess Cruise Tips

I am reposting this addendum since it may be lost attached to my original Grand Princess Cruise Tips Post.

ADDENDUM to Bob's Indispensable Grand Princess Cruise Tips

My wife and I returned this past Sunday (Apr. 21) from our third cruise aboard the Grand Princess. As pointed out by Gloria (in the other thread) and my own observations there have been a few changes that I will try to update.

As Gloria mentioned, unfortunately due to security concerns, the Navigational Bridge Tour has been eliminated. (frown) However, they have added a marvelous Backstage Tour of the Princess Theater. The tour begins with a really cool 10- minute sound and light show to demonstrate their state of the art equipment and give you the details about the computers, lights and sound systems they use. Did you realize that they use a 20,000-watt amplifier to power the sound system? That's equivalent to 200 home stereo systems. That is followed by a Q&A session with the Line Manager (leader of the singers and dancers) and the Production Manager (head of all the sound, lighting and staging) as well as a male and female dancer from the production shows. This was very entertaining and informative. These kids are extremely well trained and knowledgeable in there crafts. The audience is then taken up on stage to see how it looks and feels to be in the spotlight as well as learn how the sets are moved in and out. We were then broken into smaller groups to go underneath the stage to see the dressing room and the below stage operations. Then back up on stage to see the stage managerís operation of the sets. On our Western Caribbean itinerary, this tour was held on Saturday afternoon, the last day at sea.

Gloria also mentioned the strong wind suction when both the balcony door and the hall door are opened at the same time. You must be careful not to let money or other light items be whisked away, but it can also be an advantage... for clearing the bathroom of steam from the shower or any unpleasant fragrances... if you get my drift. (grins)

I noticed another error I made in my tips. In the section that I wrote about public rest rooms, I stated, "The best-kept secret on this ship is the restrooms near the Princess Theater. " This tip should have read "near the Vista Lounge." Those are the ones hidden near the Photo Gallery and the Explorers Lounge. The rest rooms near Princess Theater are right at the entrance and are large.

ADDITIONAL TIP Enter the Princess Theater from Plaza Deck 6. This will allow you to easily see the whole theater for your choice of seats and quickly enter the lower level if you want a seat closer to the stage. This entry also makes it easier to spot friends or relatives you may be looking for.

Another correction... I stated, "Food in back, shows in front..." This does kinda works if you are on Traditional Dining since you will be in the Botticelli Dining Room at the rear of the ship. However, if you are on Personal Choice Dining you will select either Michelangelo or Da Vinci Dining Rooms which are in the middle of the ship just off the atrium. So I guess for most it should be... "Food in middle, shows in front and back..." (smile)

The attached photo is one I made of the Grand while on Princess Cays April 15, 2002.

Regal Princess - 1996; Star Princess - 1995
Sponsored Links
Old April 24th, 2002, 08:59 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: ADDENDUM to Bob's Indispensable Grand Princess Cruise Ti

Hey Bob,
I can't get over that picture, excellent!

Thanks for sharing!

I was going to mention about no more bridge tours since Sept., but sometimes they will give a group tour, we were able to get one on Golden and they are so informative and you can get some great shots from there.

Sounds like another great "Grand" cruise, welcome back!

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 24th, 2002, 11:13 PM
First Mate

Thank you for that beautiful photo!!

I'm going on this ship in October and I am so excited I can hardly wait! It's going to be a long summer.

deja

To The Carnival Triumph

booking soon - 10th anniversary cruise in August....
Old April 25th, 2002, 09:29 AM
Admiral

Great picture!!!!
Old April 25th, 2002, 01:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

Awesome picture, I'm on the Grand June 1st! We can't wait!
Old April 25th, 2002, 01:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

Oops...Make that June 9th not June 1st!
Old April 25th, 2002, 04:21 PM
First Mate

Great Photo! I can't wait to board her! 9 days and counting!
Old April 25th, 2002, 07:02 PM
First Mate

Hi Donna... Glad you liked the photo. That was taken with my Olympus C-2100 Ultra Zoom digital camera. I'm still learning how to use it but it does take great photos. I'm glad you got to go on the bridge tour. I'm afraid most won't be able too now. We had another marvelous cruise aboard the Grand. The food this year may have even be a notch better. We had no complaints as my scales can attest to. (grins)

Thanks Rick and deja...

I appreciate the nice comments Ann and Angela. You are both "short-timers" now. I know you will have a great time. I wish I was going back with you.

Old April 25th, 2002, 07:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: ADDENDUM to Bob's Indispensable Grand Princess Cruis

Hey Bob,
Did we "eat" just a little too much??? Absolutely love the pasta and all the chocolate I can OD on for a week!

Glad this was also a great "Grand" cruise for you both! Hope you post some more great pics in the Photo Gallery :-)

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 25th, 2002, 11:22 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Jan

Awesome picture! It's making a great computer wallpaper! (Is that okay???)
Old April 26th, 2002, 10:08 AM
First Mate

Yes, Donna... I did eat too much. But I did run three miles every morning before breakfast so it was not quite as bad as it could have been. (grins)

Jan... you are certainly welcome to use my photo for your wallpaper. If you would like the larger unreduced version, just send me an e-mail and I will forward it to you.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 03:20 PM
Yeoman

Default We're sailing on June 9th too!

Saw your message and just wanted to say hi! - will be sailing with my husband - my 2nd cruise - his 1st. Really looking forward to it. We are flying down the day before from CT. Let's talk some more.
Old May 4th, 2002, 10:12 PM
carol wood

We are going to be cruising to Alaska August 10 on the Sea Princess. We have cruised on Norwegian and wonder what, if anything, are the differences. We will be celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary and taking two young ladies with us- our daughter and her friend. What is fun to do on the boat? How is the food? Does the staff take care of your every whim?
One of our ports is Sitka. What is fun to do in Sitka. Any help is much appreciated.
Carol
Old May 5th, 2002, 06:12 PM
First Mate

Hi Carol... It would be difficult for me to compare Norwegian and Princess since I've never been on Norwegian. We have sailed six times with Princess, three with Royal Caribbean and once with Celebrity. We enjoyed all of our cruises immensely and each cruise had its strong points. I have not sailed on the Sea Princess either. Perhaps you should repost your questions in a new post and you may get some more specific responses. Good luck and I'm sure that your will have fun on your cruise regardless.