CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Princess Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/)
-   -   First Time on Princess (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/222829-first-time-princess.html)

dezertcruzer April 28th, 2002 10:16 AM

First Time on Princess

Well, Jose and I have just booked our first cruise on Princess. Our goal is to someday try all the cruise lines! We are truly addicted to cruising, and can't wait for this one! We have booked the Coral Princess Panama Canal transit on 4/23/03.

Now, here's the question. What do you like, and NOT like, about Princess? We booked traditional dining, but we have a whole year to think aobut that! Let me know your specific Princess opinions!
jennifer

Donna April 28th, 2002 01:26 PM

Re: First Time on Princess

Hi Jennifer,
There is a lot to like about Princess. They have very good food, the service is also very good, some shows were wonderful, not all, but most. I've always liked the decor of their ships and this may sound silly, but I really enjoy the fresh water in their pools instead of the salt water most of the other lines use. They also operate their pools and hot tubs a lot longer in the day, you can actually go for a swim or relax in the hot tubs after dinner.

I'm sure you will love your Princess cruise, so far I've had 2 real nice cruises with them and hope to someday cruise Princess again, enjoy!

Lisa A. April 28th, 2002 01:41 PM

We liked everything about our last Princess cruise. The service was excellent with the exception of our steward service and we believe it was an isolated situation. Because Princess holds art auctions on board, the artwork changes throughout the cruise. It is quite nice looking at original and named artwork (i.e. Rockwell) on a daily basis. The food was very good, the activiteis were fun, and the ship was immaculate. When I toured the galley, I could not find one spot of dirt (and I was looking!). We have already booked next year's trip - have a good vacation! We loved personal choice dining!

Ann April 28th, 2002 04:46 PM

WOW! It is so nice to read so many nice things about Princess! We leave in one week!

Gloria April 28th, 2002 08:51 PM

Re: Re: First Time on Princess

I love Princess ad I hope you will too. i agree with all that Donna said. Gloria

sue April 28th, 2002 09:39 PM

Hi I just came back April 12 from the Grand Princess what a wonderful 1ST Cruise my husband took me on. We went to the Western Caribbean and had a good time and no complaints what so ever!
We chose the Personal Choice dining and thought that it worked out perfectly since some days we ate very late lunches and then wanted a late dinner. It gave us a chance to take our time and not have to rush back to the ship to get ready for the evening and we could also plan around the evening shows and activities. I would definetly go this way next time. Service was great both in the dining and our stateroom.
I certainly did not hear anyone complaining about anything except that the food so to good and they ate to much! Embarking and Disembarking was a breeze it is amazing how they can get everyone on and off with such ease.
I looking forward to my next cruise abd I hope that you will enjoy yours to come.

CruiseAholic April 29th, 2002 09:13 AM

WHAT?? Another cruise????? Geez....

Anyway, just where do I start, the staff are friendly, food good, service great. Been on 17 Princess cruises and they are my favorite!

Ann April 30th, 2002 04:35 AM

What a great goal! To try all cruise lines! I think that might be out secret goal too. We've done Holland America, Carnival, Royal Caribbean, and on Sunday we leave for our 1st Princess cruise!

william April 30th, 2002 05:09 AM

Nice to hear abt Princess Line.
We leave in four weeks for Alaska on the DAWN.
First time for Princess and Alaska!
Give us a report when u get back ANN.

BCNU on the Dawn Princess!

Theresa April 30th, 2002 06:17 AM

I would love to do the Coral Princess!

Last time I checked - it was too expensive for me :( May need to go and look again.

I love Princess food - it is the best! Their pastas, their souffles, etc. . . Their 24 hour buffet.

Their pools are fresh water (yea!) verses sea water.

We also have had consisently excellent service and food on Princess.

We like Traditional dining - we like to get to know our tablemates and watier.

Theresa

Shar April 30th, 2002 11:52 AM

Their ice cream is the best IN THE WORLD!!!

Shar

norm May 1st, 2002 07:43 PM

dezertcruzer,

I'm very impressed by the preliminary deck plans that I have seen for MV Coral Princess (and presumably also for sister MV Island Princess, which will debut in May 2003). This ship looks magnificent!

As a veteran of ten cruises with Princess, I can vouch for the fact that all of the preceding comments are accurate. On my last cruise, though, I got stuck in the "Anytime Dining" arrangement for the first two nights and can tell you that I will not choose that arrangement. With a fixed seating, your waiter and assistant learn your prefernces on the first night or two of the cruise and are "right there" with the things that you normally request for the duration of the voyage. With the "Anytime Dining" arrangement, you get a different waiter each evening so they never get a chance to learn your preferences. The result is that the service falls short of what you get with a fixed seating. I usually prefer second (main) seating precisely because it allows time to go for a soak in the hot tub before getting ready if one comes back from a shore excursion right before the ship sails.

I suppose I should forewarn you that Princess is currying favor with dieters by reducing food service to once per day.

Yes, that'r right, only once per day, but ordinarily for twenty-four hours.

Surprisingly, nobody mentioned that Princess gets a constant stream of accolades for operating the strongest shore excursion program in the industry. Their shore excursions are a great way to get "the lay of the land" and take in the major attractions, expecially on your first visit to a foreign port.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.

alison May 2nd, 2002 10:51 PM

I just got back from the Grand Princess 4/21....I liked most of the food- the Souffles and the tarts were awesome, v. good lobster tails, wonderful pasta and great fries by the pools. Speaking of the pools, there were many fresh water pools, all very clean and all comfortable temps. The hot tubs are open late at night, perfect for start gazing. Lots of open deck space, lots of deck chairs. Room service was nice in the a.m. Drinks were good and reasonably priced. Entertainment was varried. Service was good, for the most part. I think princess ships are beautiful, and i would definalty recomend a princess cruise- you are going to have a blast!!

Allie May 6th, 2002 08:24 PM

Princess is great, I've been on the Grand, Ocean and the Regal....They all were wonderful.....I have no complaints about the line....We've always had a room with a balcony and it is worth the extra money.....We had a mini-suite on the Grand and the extra room was nice......Have a great time..

gobears May 6th, 2002 08:57 PM

Re: Re: First Time on Princess

Allie. Are there any perks when booking a mini-suite...ie. priority boarding etc.?