Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 13th, 2002, 03:20 PM
summer

Default Has anyone went scuba diving in Grand Cayman or Cozumel

Can anyone suggest who to go diving with. We are going on the Grand on August 25th.
Sponsored Links
Old May 13th, 2002, 07:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Has anyone went scuba diving in Grand Cayman or Cozumel

Hi Summer,
When we spent a few days in Grand Cayman a few years ago we went to Sting Ray City with a group of scuba divers and we just snorkeled over them. It was great. Obviously, we did not go to the sandbar like all the excursions go, we were close by, but in deeper water and it was very cool! I think if you like to dive, this is really something to think about doing, have fun!

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 13th, 2002, 10:00 PM
nick

Hi I went in Grand Cayman last summer. I would stay away from the North Wall/stingray city dive unless you are experts. We were told the dive would be 60-80 feet when in actuality it was 115ft. The Princess dive instructor conducted the dive. Unfortunately I got the bends from this dive. It may have been the Tortuga Rum cake we had right after. I had to spend 3 days in the decompression Chamber in Miami. I am fine now however but I don't want to see any one go through what I did. So like I said unless you are experts you should opt for the other dive Princess offers. Also we saw hardly anything on the wall dive. Stingray city was nice though. Hope this helps.
Nick
Old May 14th, 2002, 10:14 PM
Sailfish

We dove with EcoDivers in Cozumel, but had 6 experienced divers in our group. They cater to more advanced divers, and did an excellent job...we paid about $55 for two tanks and was able to dive with the ship's schedule. We went to Palancar Caves and to another shallow site for our second dive. We have been to Cozumel before many times, and Palancar Caves continues to be my favorite dive. Most ships don't get in early enough to make the 8:30am roll call at the dive shop. But EcoDivers will head out with you, as long as you can fill the boat with 5-6 divers.

As for Grand Cayman, all their wall dives are excellent. The problem with booking a dive excursion on the ship is you get a large mix of divers with varying abilities. I won't do another ship sponsored dive, as your bottom time is limited and the DM's tend to be very conservative. As most dive ops in GC head out to the dive sites early, you might just want to head over to Eden Rock and do a nice, inexpensive shore dive. Ask for clear instructions to the best caves and swim throughs. Dives here are shallow (about 60 max) but with lots of fish and corals in great shape, this makes for an easy, stress free dive, with extended bottom times.