Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 21st, 2002, 11:10 AM
Passenger

Default Alaska Shore Excursions

In you all's opinion, what are the best shore excursions in Ketchican, Juneau and Skagway? Anyone have any experience with private shore excursions?? We want to make the most of our adventure. :-)
Sponsored Links
Old May 23rd, 2002, 12:27 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Alaska Shore Excursions

In my opinion, the White Pass Rail is the highlight excursion for Skagway, the Mendenhall Glacier is for Juneau, and the Totem tour is for Ketchikan.

jasoncruises

Star Princess
Zaandam
Ocean Princess
Rotterdam
Nordic Empress
Old May 23rd, 2002, 08:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: Alaska Shore Excursions

Hi Anne,
I'm also in the process of deciding on shore excursions in Alaska. Someone sent me this link, looks like something I do want to do, feel free to check it out too:

http://www.alaskawhalewatching.com/

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 23rd, 2002, 08:15 PM
Admiral

I knew you would like that Donna!!!! I'll be sure to write a very detailed review of the whole cruise. I plan on taking a brand new journal with me! Don't you think it's strange that no one has reported back on Alaska yet? I know the season is only a couple of weeks old, but I want to hear about EVERYTHING! By the way, we also booked the helicopter/dogsled trip in Skagway (through TEMSCO). I know everyone says to do the train thing, but I lived in Colorado for a while and did the Durango-Silverton train a few times. I've been in contact with the dog camp people in Skagway and they just informed me that there are 3 litters of puppies!!!! I may never get back on that ship!
Old May 23rd, 2002, 08:31 PM
Admiral

Hi RIck,
Yes, I do find it a little disappointing that we haven't heard anything about Alaska yet, but it is still early. Hope to get some messages on the boards soon. I still have some time left, but I find it very suprising that there are so many more excursions to choose from in Alaska, compared to the Caribbean. Also there seems to be a lot more independent tour operators up there.

So, whats the scoop on the dog-sled excursion, have had a little thought on that, but not sure I should get up on a glacier???

What do you think?

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 23rd, 2002, 09:09 PM
Admiral

Donna, I know you work these boards, but gosh you are fast!! By the way, I'm not the "original" Rick (Semper Fi dude)!!! Different Rick here, not the "instigator". Anyway, since this is our (my partner and me) 3rd anniversary celebration cruise, we decided to go all out on this Alaska trip. He took his parents on HAL 3 yrs ago, so now it's my turn on the Sea Princess (yea!). On this Skagway helicopter/dogsled tour, you get off the ship...walk about 10 minutes to the airfield and take a 30 min. helicopter tour of the glaciers. Then you land on one where there is a dog camp. After a "classroom session", you go out and meet and greet the dogs (I'm a huge dog lover!) Get on the sleds and "MUSH"!!! for about an hour or so. You can either mush or "duff" (ride). Then it's another 30 minute flight back. It is one of the more expensive excursions at $329, but I've heard from people like "Karen" that it is the experience of a lifetime....and hey....let's celebrate!!! One never knows what the next day may bring, right? (We happened to be on the Century, on our first morning dive in St. Thomas on 9/11, so I have a new perspective on things) Karen also said to NOT do this in Juneau, as it is the most cancelled excursion, due to weather. I think the website is (and forgive me for not doing the "link thing")
www.temsco.com and then click on the dogsled link. I think I'm more excited about the puppies than anything ! Call me nuts!
Old May 23rd, 2002, 09:28 PM
Admiral

Hi (the other Rick),
I always knew you were not the other one :-) Do me a favor though, check the link from this thread, I think it may be something else?? Doesn't look like an excursion site in Alaska

Thanks,

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 23rd, 2002, 09:41 PM
Admiral

Sorry Donna,
Try www.temscoair.com

Just checked, that's the right one.....my bad.
Old May 23rd, 2002, 09:50 PM
Admiral

Hey Rick,
Thats more like it, thanks again :-)

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 24th, 2002, 04:06 PM
Carole Dunham

Donna, as a 7 cruise veteran of Alaska cruising I can tell you that my hands down favorite shore excursion in the Inside Passage is the flightseeing in Misty Fjords from Ketchikan. It's a previously glaciated area, totally wild. You fly over high cliffs with waterfalls crashing into the fjords below. Than you land on a totally deserted mountain lake. The only signs of humanity are the plane and the very few people in it. The silence is deafening. It's an awesome experience. One of the Celebrity ports flies you to an area for bear watching. It isn't Ketchikan though as my daughter was going to take the Misty Fjords excursion with me. It's really too bad we had to cancel since sitting around South Florida most of the summer doesn't appeal. The coolest spot I'll find is my air conditioned apartment and believe me, Alaska is better.

Carole