Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 30th, 2002, 06:47 PM
Admiral

Default What's with Princess charging double port charges to single

Does anyone know how Princess is getting away with charging double port charges to single travelers? After all, they only pay this for each individual passenger - not for some phantom traveler. As far as I know they just instigated this charge (I didn't pay it on my April cruise), but am being charged on my December cruise.

Another travel agent just emailed me saying that she thought it was illegal - as do I.

Is there anything that can be done about this? Thanks.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Sponsored Links
Old May 30th, 2002, 08:16 PM
Admiral

Default Re: What's with Princess charging double port charges to sin

Posted an answer to this on the other board on which you posted the question... I think the people Board. It isn't as simple as you seem to assume or imply.
Old June 1st, 2002, 09:15 PM
Admiral

CruzNut,

Princess's formula for calculating single fares usually works this way.

1. Subtract the port charges from the published fare to get the real base fare.

2. Multiply by the real base fare by the single supplement factor (150%, 160%, or 200% depending upon itinerary and class of cabin) to compute the single base fare.

3. Add the port charges to the single base fare to get the regular single fare. This should be the quoted fare.

It's possible that the fare to which somebody added the port charges in your worksheet already had the port charges removed.

Norm.
Old June 1st, 2002, 10:51 PM
Admiral

Norm - as to point 3 ... when they add the port charges at this point, do they add the port charges for one or two people?

From past experience with Princess, they have added only one port charge fee - but now they're adding two.

Thanks.
Old June 2nd, 2002, 07:57 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: What's with Princess charging double port charges to

CruzNut,

"Norm - as to point 3 ... when they add the port charges at this point, do they add the port charges for one or two people?"

There's one more addition after step 3 that I did not mention it separately because it's applicable to all fares regardless of occpancy. After completion of step 3 from my earlier post, you have to add "government taxes and fees." Note that "port charges" and "government taxes and fees" are two separate items. Published fares ordinarily include "port charges" but do not include "government taxes and fees." Quoted fares, OTOH, usually include both.

Anyway, could the "government taxes and fees" be the second addition on your quote? Perhaps your travel agenet is confused?

Norm.
Old June 2nd, 2002, 10:34 PM
Admiral

No, I'm aware of the government taxes and fees and will only be charged for one person for that item.

My T/A spoke to many people at Princess on up to Supervisor and in all cases they said the charge would be for TWO port charges even though I'm traveling alone. This T/A was waiting for the Regional (Branch) Manager of Princess to show up at their shop (which should have been last week) and would be taking it up with her. However, I've heard nothing from my T/A.

Spoke to another T/A who was given the same info from Princess (as I mentioned above she felt it was illegal - as do I).

The port charges for my 10 day trip are $199 per person so Princess is saying I have to pay $398 even though I'm traveling alone. I am paying 200% for the balcony cabin.
Old June 3rd, 2002, 01:20 PM
Admiral

Isn't it possible to just buy 2 separate tickets, making it only a 100% single supplement, and then cancel the 2nd ticket a few days before departure, forfeiting your payment? It would seem cheaper than a 200% charge. I suppose Princess has ways to prevent this too, just like bringing your own booze on board
Old June 3rd, 2002, 10:36 PM
Admiral

No, Rick, that's not possible.
Old June 4th, 2002, 08:09 AM
Admiral

Oh well, I gave it a shot.
Old June 5th, 2002, 12:26 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: What's with Princess charging double port charges to

Rick,

Terminology might be the source of confusion. Princess's brochures state that "single occupancy fares" are "200% of cruise fare" for suites, minisuites, balcony cabins, and deluxe cabins and "160% of cruise fare" ("150% of cruise fare" for Caribbean itineraries) for standard inside and outside cabins. Note that these percentages give the total fare rather than the supplement, so the respective "supplements" are only 100% for suites, minisuites, balcony cabins, and deluxe cabins or 60% (50% on Caribbean intineraries) for standard cabins.

Norm.