Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 13th, 2002, 01:14 PM
Frank

Default Princess Voucher Scam

Were any of you ever able to use any of those vouchers Princess issued as a result of some class action suit concerning port charges? I've taken 2 cruises with them since and neither of them could use the voucher. Why? Because of the sneaky wording where only the lawyers made money. The vouchers are only applicable on Love Boat Savers fare. Sounds good right? However, anyone that has traveled with Princess gets a previous traveler fare that is better than those Love Boat saver fares. So these vouchers logically only went to previous travelers and previous travelers would only book the less expensive fares instead of the Love Boat Saver fares. The result - the vouchers are like sleeves in a vest - useless.

In one case I found that I could be rebooked at the Love Boat Saver fare and apply the vouchers but my savings would only amount to a measly $20. Even so, with the vouchers expiring, I sent them in as my TA advised only to have this meager amount rejected by Princess.

I don't know about others but this doesn't leave me with the warmest feelings toward Princess and will encourage me to branch out to other lines to see how they treat their returning customers.
Frank-in-CA
Sponsored Links
Old June 13th, 2002, 02:09 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Princess Voucher Scam

We had the same thing happen with Carnival a few years back.
Old June 14th, 2002, 07:53 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Princess Voucher Scam

It is rare to find vouchers that can be used against the best fares out there... regardless of the line. To me, what counts is the net amount one pays to embark a vessel and what you get for it, rather than what the promo is called or what gimmicks are used.

I find it surprising to hear a complaint about a fare so low that coupons cannot be used against it. Also... you'd be surprised at just how many people pay the LBS fares... as you might be surprised at the number of people who pay full economy or close to it on planes.
Old June 14th, 2002, 10:33 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Princess Voucher Scam

Frank, we had the same problem. Those vouchers are absoutly worthless. I am disappointed in Princess for doing that. Not the best way to treat repeat customers.

Post Edited (06-17-02 13:39)
Old June 15th, 2002, 06:48 AM
HLR

I agree about the vouchers and I also agree about not having the warmest feeling towards princess. We are going on our first princess cruise in 8 days and instead of being excited I am now feeling bad that I did not choose celebrity or carnival. princess has a lot to learn about customer service and customer satisfaction. it is good that they have a program for previous cruisers, but its not right that they treat first time cruisers like garbage. i have previously sailed on celebrity and carnival and enjoyed it. i heard good things about princess, but now im not too sure. i just hope that the service on the ship is better than the service i have received from their office.

hr
Old June 17th, 2002, 02:09 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Princess Voucher Scam

We are taking a Princess Cruise in Dec. and our TA gave us the best price avail. I then told her that I had a $200 discount coupon from the Entertainment Book - and then we found out that also was only applicable with the Love Boat fare (which was a lot more than we paid). The only time my husband and I got a good deal with a voucher was through Carnival on a Class action suit. The first voucher they sent us was a 30% discount on full fare. We threw that away. A couple of months later we received a 30% discount on the best fare we could find and $50 apiece shipboard credit. That we used last year to go on the Carinal Spirit in Nov. 01.
Old June 18th, 2002, 07:54 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Princess Voucher Scam

I smile when I read about the Entertainment Book coupons. In many years, here in Florida, we have never yet sold a cruise for which one of those coupons was valid. I would suggest that the problem is not with the cruise line, but rather with the publisher(s) of the Entertainment Book. Because of our proximity to the major cruise ports (we are in the "drive-in" market... where people do not have to fly or plan way ahead to cruise), we get very excellent cruise pricing as a general rule... far below, actually, the minimum rates against which these coupons can be used.

I wouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth. As I said before, what counts is the net amount one pays to embark a ship and what one gets for it. You can call it what you will... "2 for 1", coupons, "buy one get one free" or whatever.
Old June 24th, 2002, 07:24 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Princess is not the only cruise line that does this - RCCL, Carnival, Celebrity, HAL - they ALL do it! That is why I never join in class action lawsuits, because the only ones who win are the lawyers!