Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 17th, 2002, 07:59 PM
David Starkey

Default Virus on Princess

I noticied again this year that a Princess ship is infected with the Norwalk virus. For some reson this seems to strike Princess on a regular basis(it must be something they are doing or crewing the ships with sick people) I got it on the regal princess 4 years ago(me and 200 other sick people pus lots of the crew on that sickly sailing.(the ship was under quantine we we returned to Vancouver by Canadian health officials). The thing that leave a bad mark for Princess is that this viruis seems to be onboard Princess almost exclusively and the management in the home office doesn't take it serious at all or just does't give a crap.(I think cruise lines are run by bean counters only).....Princess needs to nip this thing , its been happening for 4 years on Princess ships.
I was considering Princess for Alaska next year, but now i am afraid I might get that teribile virus again.(its truly no joke).

Anyone else jhave comments about this situation. And how its(not) being resolved over the years.?
Sponsored Links
Old June 17th, 2002, 08:32 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Virus on Princess

I can't imagine why one line would be more suspect than another.

I thought several times this past May on the Summit, (the get Lei'd cruise of CruiseMates, I was FORCED to go), that if we went longer, the entire ship would be down. MANY people were sniffling, coughing, sick., etc
Old June 17th, 2002, 08:50 PM
David Starkey

Default Re: Re: Virus on Princess

The Norwalk Virus effects you by causing uncontrolible bowel movements and projectile vomitting. Mine lasted 3 whole days whre I was confined to my cabin by the ships doctor.(along with the crew and other infected passengers).
Old June 18th, 2002, 10:20 AM
Cruise Maniac

Just returned today from an involuntarily shortened (by Princess) Alaska cruisetour on the Sun Princess. Passengers who saw the doctor for g.i. issues -- not passengers actually diagnosed or even *tested* -- had their confidential info given to the tour staff, who then prevented them from taking their booked and paid for land portions. Approx. 40 people and their travelling companions were affected. One woman who did no more than ask for kaopectate was bumped.

Note -- the concern here was neither public health nor the well being of the passengers. It was instead, self-interest for *Princess.* Passengers already flying out were permitted to leave -- on jets with closed circulation systems. Passengers were permitted to dine and mingle with each other freely. Princess prevented only *its own* land passengers from travelling.
Princess's handling of the issue was without tact or class. On the final night of the cruise, passengers returned to their cabins after dinner to find their luggage retagged or removed and no explanation forthcoming. Later, the purser's staff simply told them they were receiving alternative transportation. Still later, passengers received a form letter "offering" to send them to Anchorage -- not why most of us would go to Alaska -- and possibly rejoin the land portions later.

Unfortunately, most people meekly complied. I'm a trial lawyer. I did not. I gave Princess two choices -- send us on the land tour we had already paid for, and for which we held tickets, or refund *everything.* They actually suggested that I should pay for a tour they would not permit me to take. Let's simply say that some assertive behavior -- in public, so that others could see what the line was doing to its passengers -- reminding them of whose money it was and a flat refusal to disembark until they solved the problem eventually nudged them to make the right decision. i give kudos to the head purser for working with me to persuade the beancounters that cancelling people's vacations was not a shrewd way to build brand loyalty.

Scott Greenwood

Cincinnati
Old June 18th, 2002, 12:13 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Virus on Princess

Okay, you guys have me a little scared. My mother, who is 78, and I have been planing our trip to Alaska for 2 years. We'll be going in late August and I would hate for this virus to ruin our trip. Is there anything that we can take before leaving or during our trip to prevent contracting this virus?
Old June 18th, 2002, 02:48 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Virus on Princess

Not sure if you can take anything to prevent becoming infected. Best recommendation would be to practice extremely cautious personal hygiene, washing hands frequently, making sure you watch (as much as possible) who is handling your food and that they are gloved, etc. I'm not so sure that this is restricted to Alaskan cruises. I sailed on the Sea Princess in February 1999 to the Caribbean and was hit by a gastro-intestinal virus that had me pretty much bedridden for 48 hours. For the life of me, I couldn't think of what had made me sick, I lived on Pepto Bismol tablets and clear broth for 2 days. I've never had a similar situation happen on any cruise before or after and I've been on 14 cruises.
Old June 18th, 2002, 05:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

I'd go again. But be aware -- we were fastidious in personal hygeine, drank bottled water, avoided public restrooms, etc. Anyone can contract this.
Old June 18th, 2002, 10:13 PM
Passenger

They had this, or something else, on the Maiden Voyage of the Star Princess Feb-Mar. My friend had it, and went to the Dr. to tell them she thought she had food poisoning. Oh, no, it couldn't be. But we knew others were sick. A very reliable source (unamed, as there is only one person with that title) said 210 persons were affected. But I couldn't get them to stop wiping off the dining tables in the Lido Buffett with persons napkins after they left. Even when I pointed out the departing diner had just blown his nose on it. They really don't have very basic sanitation training. But that is true in restaurants, too. We no longer eat out, too many experiences turn out badly.
Old June 20th, 2002, 11:35 PM
Frank

You folks have me a bit concerned. Our family, 4 generations, are going on the Regal next month to Alaska. I had heard about the flu in previous years. Last summer we took the Dawn to Alaska and had no problems. I've never heard of this Norwalk virus.
Frank-in-CA
Old June 21st, 2002, 12:45 PM
Familiar Face

I got back from an Alaskan cruise on the Sun Princess on June 10th. When we got into our cabin among the other papers on the desk was a paper telling us that there had been a recent outbreak of that Norwalk virus and to been on alert if we felt ill. That didn't exactly make us feel enthused, especially this being our first cruise and our honeymoon. I didn't realize this has been happening for quite a long time. Thankfully we felt fine the whole time, but I met some people that had been on the land tour up north prior to the cruise and they were saying how a bunch of people were sent home and/or were quarantined in their rooms, and their was a big uproar over all of it. That's about all I have heard on it until reading things here. I hope they get it together somehow, because they really do have a great line.
SueZ
Old June 25th, 2002, 12:47 AM
Admiral

David,

My Dad had similar symptoms during a Bermuda cruise aboard MV Pacific Princess earlier this month. When he came home, though, the nurse practitioner at his own physician's office said that there was a major viral outburst in the area with those symptoms and that they had been treating a lot of patients with it.

First, I really don't believe that it's "only" Princess that is having these incidents even though another Princess ship did have an outbreak last year.

Second, Princess did respond promptly to the problem when it did arise.

And third, it appears that some of the passengers might be contacting the virus before going aboard ship and bringing it with them. This is not exactly Princess's fault.

Norm.
Old June 30th, 2002, 03:18 PM
David Starkey

Sorry Norm
I don't buy it...somone working on Princess is infected.As far as how Princess handels it.... I need only to think back to myself and the other 250 passengers( plus crew members) that got on an infected ship(and Princess knew there was a problem before we embarked the ship as several staff on that cruise had told me how long it had been going on.(for weeks). Bean counter rule at Princess......passenger...tough...luck..

Yes...I am still angry about it, but most angry how the management at Princess took care(or should I say didn't) take care of its passengers. The cruise should have been cancelled and then the ship put in quarantine.(which Canadian health officials did after our return)..not Princess, but the government had to do something.......thats speaks poorly for Princess.
Old July 1st, 2002, 03:10 AM
Kenny C.A.

I am going to be cruising on the Ocean Princess on July 13th. I think the virus may be in some of the foods. I plan to stay away from lettuce, potato & macoroni salads made with mayonaise and salad dressings. I think that salad buffets sometimes are kept out too long to be safe to eat. Also, I plan to stay away from pork. I plan to eat only fish that is well cooked plus other foods that are well cooked. I also plan to stay away from the creamy custard type desserts.
I also plan to just use our cabin's restroom.
I plan to wash my hands often and also use hand wipes that kill germs.
I don't want to be treated like a 'leper" if I should get ill so I plan to take all the medicines I need in case of an emergency.
I also plan to have lots of FUN!!!
Old July 1st, 2002, 03:33 PM
David Starkey

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Virus on Princess

Best of luck......Hope you have lots of fun and stay healthy.
Old July 4th, 2002, 11:37 AM
A

We are going on the Golden Princess (Barcelona to Venice). Have people on this ship been infected with the virus too?
Old July 4th, 2002, 04:30 PM
Kenny C.A.

HI. If you want to check out the Sanitation record for your ship, go to the website that will give you a full report on the ships.
The website is www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp
Go to Vessel inspection report.
I checked out the Ocean Princess last night. It gave a report on their food care problems, etc. It also gave the date of their last check up. It is very interesting what you can learn.
I think after the problem they had with the Ocean Princess, I am pretty sure Princess has fixed their problems on all their ships.
I would say watch out for their buffets and make sure their food is kept really hot and the cold food really cold. I have learned from traveling that salad dressings are kept out all day. I stay away from them and salads made with mayonaise. I mostly stick to the hot foods and breads. I plan to take my own bottled water and sodas. I don't like the idea of drinking distilled ocean water. I also plan to stay away from hot dogs, pork/ham. I plan to ask for my meats to be cooked well done. I also plan to take pepto bismol, benedryl, lomotil, emodium, and mosquito repellant. If I should get ill with diarehea I don't plan to see the doctor because then they will treat me like a "leper". I already have a irritable bowel syndrome/diarehea problem. Good luck on your cruise. SEA YOU. LUCY