Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 19th, 2002, 04:20 PM
Familiar Face

Default Midnight Buffets?

I forgot to ask in my post....on the Sun Princess was there a "Midnite Buffet"? We had always heard about them on cruises and never did see on on there. The only thing I knew was that the Horizon Court was open 24 hrs. Did we miss these buffets (not that I need them or anything. heh) or do they not have them on Alaskan cruises?
As far as the entertain onboard....we loved it! We only went to the shows in the Vista Lounge and the comedians were awesome. They had a ventriloquist that was unreal. Even the talent show with the passengers was great! And yes, The Newlywed Game was hilarious, too. (we were on it). We are 46 and 51 and not over the hill yet! haha. I was thoroughly impressed with the entertainment on the Sun Princess. I bet if we went into the main showroom we would have keeled over from the shows in there. I hear they were fabulous. We have to make sure we get the 6pm dinner sitting next time so we don't keep missing shows. It kind of drove us nuts this time.
SueZ
Sponsored Links
Old June 19th, 2002, 04:36 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Midnight Buffets?

As far as I know, Princess doesn't run midnight buffets. They've got the Horizon (and room service) open 24 hours, so that about covers it. Personally, I think midnight buffets are overrated.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old June 19th, 2002, 06:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: Midnight Buffets?

Hi Sue,
I've also noticed that with no midnight buffets, Princess has what they call "Island night", with music, buffet and an all around fun evening, and it starts after dinner, so no waiting around for midnight.

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 20th, 2002, 09:48 AM
Blackrobe

Princess ended the midnight buffets several years ago due to the huge amount of waste which resulted from them. At the same time they extended the hours of the Horizon Court and they also have 24 hour room serve.
Old June 20th, 2002, 02:01 PM
David Starkey

Wasting food for midnight buffets.....???..in case you haven't noticed most cruise lines recycle "lunches" from previous nights main courses and retitle it as somthing else. At least thats been my experience on many cruises over the years.
Celebrity still has some midnight buffets, but they are not as extensive as they used to be.
Old June 20th, 2002, 05:59 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I actually prefer the Princess method of having the 24 hr. Horizon Court to the midnight buffets.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old June 20th, 2002, 06:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hey Moose Man,
I totally agree with you, just another fine feature of cruising with Princess, never a need to find your next meal :-) Quite a few times, we've returned from shore too late for the "actually" lunch, but could still find just a bite of something to tie us over until dinner. On some other lines, you'd be out of luck, unless you order something from room service.

I've seen a lot of midnight buffets, but have never been able to wait around to eat them

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 20th, 2002, 08:32 PM
Frank

I agree. The 24 hour food court is much better than a midnight buffet.
Old June 20th, 2002, 08:33 PM
Frank

As mentioned elsewhere, they eliminated the midnight buffet and have the Horizon court open 24 hours. But to keep with tradition, they usually have some kind of grand buffet for one of the lunches.
Frank
Old June 24th, 2002, 10:09 PM
Admiral

Kuki,

"I actually prefer the Princess method of having the 24 hr. Horizon Court to the midnight buffets."

Yes, Princess certainly has become the cruise line of choice for folks who are trying to lose weight. Food service is reduced to just once a day now. ;-)

Norm.
Old June 24th, 2002, 10:17 PM
Admiral

SueZ,

"I forgot to ask in my post....on the Sun Princess was there a "Midnite Buffet"?"

As others have noted, Princess has dropped the traditional midnight buffets in favor of the 24-hour Horizon Court. On tropical itineraries, though, there's usually some sort of deck party one evening (usually called "Island Night" in the Caribbean and "Fiesta Night" on the Mexican Riviera) where there is a grand buffet served both on deck and on the Horizon Court. On the Sun Princess, they often put the buffet tables right in front of the Terrace Grill on the deck above the pool, where you might not have noticed it unless you wandered up there during the party, and sometimes put it on the port side of the pool deck (more or less opposite the band). I'm sorry that you missed it in any case. On your next cruise, be sure to bring your camera to take pictures of the vegetable carvings and ice scuptures on the buffet!

Norm.
Old June 25th, 2002, 05:46 AM
Limey-Neil

Default Re: Re: Re: Midnight Buffets?

Most of the food can't be served again due to the high standards of USPH regulations. True, some of the food can be offered, but the amount is negligable compared to the amount that is wasted. Most passengers who attend the midnight buffets are just there for curiosity and simply to take photographs of the display!!!