Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 7th, 2002, 05:42 PM
Lanz

Default TA OR PRINCESS DIRECT

Does anyone know if there are advantages/disadvantages of booking with Princess directly? Thank Lanz
Sponsored Links
Old July 7th, 2002, 06:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: TA OR PRINCESS DIRECT

I have always used a TA. I find out that I had rather let somebody else handle all the details. I have found a gem of an TA. She is great to work with and is always quick to reply to e-mails. She has grat deals also, even better htan the cruiseline when I checked with them.

That is my opinion, I'm sure you will get others.
Old July 7th, 2002, 07:17 PM
Admiral

Lanz,

"Does anyone know if there are advantages/disadvantages of booking with Princess directly?"

AFAIK, direct booking on the Princess web site is limited to a few specials. If you book another cruise through Princess's "onboard booking" program (that is, during a cruise aboard a Princess ship), it's assigned to the travel agent who handled the original booking.

Norm.
Old July 7th, 2002, 07:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: TA OR PRINCESS DIRECT

Hi Lanz,
I also would only use a good travel agent, only way to go for me.

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 7th, 2002, 10:37 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: TA OR PRINCESS DIRECT

I have booked directly with Princess and generally do not use travel agents. I have found Princess personnel to be incredibly helpful and the website is excellent. I believe that I got a very good price for my vacation by booking directly with the cruiseline and I feel as though I can get answers to my questions quickly as you can call night and day.
I have booked land-based holidays all over the world myself and love the search for the perfect spot and bargain that I just don't feel that travel agents have the time to do.
Vacationer
Old July 7th, 2002, 10:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I would HIGHLY recommend a TA. I've said many times here... if your TA is not giving you a better price than the cruise lines, you've GOT THE WRONG TA. This is simple fact!

It certainly helps too, if you can find a GREAT TA.. who can give you price and knowledgable service!

No reason not to research the cruises yourself though. It will only serve to make you a wiser consumer. But in the end, take your booking to a TA. They WILL save you money!

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old July 8th, 2002, 02:30 PM
MKitchy

Many TA's, such as the one we use, reserve blocks of cabins, thereby giving them the ability to offer lower prices. Our TA has also in the past given us refunds after we paid in full and a better offer comes up.
Old July 8th, 2002, 10:08 PM
Admiral

If you book directly, without a t/a, you are paying more than you should and certainly are not getting the best value... with any competent travel agent, this is always the case.
Old July 10th, 2002, 04:35 PM
First Mate

I totally agree with Kuki and Ernie. A competent travel agent will definitely beat direct booking with Princess. I actually called Princess a few years ago just to check availability on certain categories and dates. The telephone agent insisted on going through the booking procedure even though I told her that I had my own cruise agent. She said no problem, I could have the booking transferred to my agent which I did. My agent got the booking and reduced the fare by several hundred dollars. A good knowledgeable cruise agent can be of assistance in many other ways as well.

Regal Princess - 1996; Star Princess - 1995
Old July 16th, 2002, 06:15 PM
Passenger

I recently asked the same question when I was trying to book a Cunard cruise. I followed everyone's advice to use a TA and they were right! Get several quotes and trust your instincts and go with the one you think will offer you the best service (which may not necessarily be the one who offers you the cheapest price). If you don't have a TA, try using the Bargain Finder. And check out the cruise line website to see if they recommend any TAs.