Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 8th, 2002, 07:30 PM
Passenger

Default Unwanted Upgrade

In March, I booked two adjacent cabins for an Alaska sailing in July for a family cruise. When I booked these cabins, I gave specific instructions that neither cabin was to be upgraded without the other. Furthermore, these cabins were midship...perfect location.

We just got our tickets and found that one of the cabins had been "upgraded" (if you can call it that) two decks higher but clear to the aft of the ship. I called Princess immediately to attempt to get the "upgrade" reversed. I was firmly told that on April 4, Princess faxed our TA (Best Price Cruises) with the upgrade notice, and that our TA called them back saying "I'm not sure that this client wants this upgrade, but I haven't been able to get a hold of them".

Princess reports to me that they didn't hear back from the TA so they proceeded with the cabin change!

I then called the TA office and they confirmed that the reservation DID reflect that these cabins were to stay together and not be separated. The woman I spoke with at Best Price Cruises could not figure out why this had happended but said would work on it in the morning.

This is our 4th Princess cruise, second this year. I am reeling! I am astonished by the indifference I perceived from Princess Customer Service. It was clear that Princess is taking no responsibility for this. Does anybody know how I can get this resolved? Apparently this is a full sailing, according to Princess.
Sponsored Links
Old July 8th, 2002, 10:06 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Unwanted Upgrade

Just curious... the deck is of little consequence... what category of cabin did you hold and what category were you upgraded to. An aft location, depending on the ship, can be a great plus, with many of the most expensive cabins located aft. Just wondering, again, what the details were. There is no excuse I can think of, though, for upgrading one without the other... assuming that there were correctly "cross-referenced" in the Princess booking system when the booking was first made... a question I'd ask them straight-a-way.
Old July 8th, 2002, 10:40 PM
Admiral

Joy,

The fault here appears to rest with your travel agent who, knowing that an upgrade of only oen of the two cabins was against your wishes, should have given Princess an immediate "negative" upon receipt of the upgrade offer. Between you, me, and the wall, I doubt that the cruise discounter made any kind of serious effort to reach you..

That said, being in a different location from your traveling companions really is not all that bad on a cruise ship because the cabins simply are not that far apart. The most separated cabins on any crusie ship are within about 800 feet and an elevator ride of each other.

If you really don't want the upgrade, your best hope probably is to tell the travel agent at your cruise discounter in no uncertain terms to unscrew it if he or she ever wants any further business from you. Travel agents usually can exert some "pull" if they know that a customer is really PO'd. Unfortunately, I'm not sure that a cruise discounter will care There are plenty of local travel agents who DO want your business, and thus who will go the extra mile to look out for your needs, so you don't have to put up with this treatment.

BTW, local travel agents usually can match any offer that you get from a cruise discounter.

Norm.
Old July 9th, 2002, 02:53 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Unwanted Upgrade

We (2 couples) booked a cruise with the same TA in April for an Oct. cruise. At the time of booking we were next to each other and were asked if we would accept an upgrade. I told her yes. The category was BC. About a month ago, we received an E-Mail that cabins were upgraded to BA and the cabin number given. I checked the Personalizer and it matched the data in the E-Mail. We went up one deck to mid ship from the aft third. I don't think the e-mail requested our affirmation but required us to contact them to turn it down. My wife sent E-Mail thanking her. There now is a cabin between us which doesn't bother us. I wonder if E-Mail wasn't sent to you, and it slipped through the cracks. I wasn't phoned on our upgrade and received nothing by snail mail.

We take walkie talkies with us and generally ron-dez-vous through the radios. If you can't resolve this, consider the radios for $40-50. They are great if you are in town and get separated. We also have UHF radios (like those in stores use) but they are very heavy to carry around. Also they are much more expensive in case you lose them.

Several years ago, with a different TA, I found out that I was "upgraded" but from port to starboard. This was on an Alaskan cruise and I booked thecabin for the port side. On our excursion package (received around 6 weeks before cruise) I noticed a different cabin number from what I booked. I immediately asked the TA what happed and that I didn't want the "upgrade". The TA called me back with less desirable port cabins but we finally told him to get our original cabin back or cancel the cruise. We did get it back. If I didn't notice the cabin # on those papers, it would have slipped by me. I don't think they had the Personalizer then or if they did, I didn't know of it.

Good luck on resolution of your problem.

John L.
Old July 9th, 2002, 06:49 AM
Admiral

I would agree that the fault lies with your agent. If they had put it in the record initially (which I'm sure that they didn't) then no upgrade would have been offered.
Old July 9th, 2002, 08:52 PM
Frank

Maybe my logic is goofy but if this was really an true upgrade, wouldn't the person that got your old cabin be willing to take your upgrade instead? It would seem to be an easy slam dunk arrangement. If it really is an upgrade.....

Skeptical Frank-in-CA
Old July 14th, 2002, 09:12 PM
Princess Di

Dear CruiseAholic: You are right! The TA is advised by the Princess Res Agent to have the NUP code on both (or all) cross-referenced bookings when the family or friends are traveling together. It is also recommended for a Link so that the pax will not have to pack up and move cabins on the second (or subsequent) cruises. Experienced TAs know this. When choosing a TA, ask them 2 questios: (1) "Are you cruise only?" The answer should be yes. (2) Are you a 'Princess Expert?' A Princess Expert travel agent has taken a special on-line course and passed an exam on the Princess ships and itineraries and is much more specialized than a non-Princess Expert. If she doesn't know what a Princess Expert is, she isn't one. (Although there are some male TAs, most are female - sorry, Guys.)
Old July 30th, 2002, 11:06 PM
BoozeBabe

Default Re: Re: Unwanted Upgrade

Norm I was surprised at your comment about any TA matching offers from discounters. I have called many TA's in my many years of travel and have NOT ONCE gotten a deal as good as I get from a discounter. They can't even get me good airfare any more. I dealt with one TA for years and she could never do me any good.

I haven't used a TA in about 4-5 years now. I would recommend a TA for first time cruisers though. Theres too much you don't know about what to ask for.