Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 9th, 2002, 09:35 AM
First Mate

Default Balcony worth it for New England?

We sailed the Golden's eastern Caribbean itinerary last November and had a great balcony cabin on the Baja deck that we enjoyed. I'm looking at booking the Golden again for the New England/Canada itinerary in October. Is a balcony cabin a must for this itinerary? Has anyone gone from a balcony cabin back to an inside cabin?
Sponsored Links
Old July 9th, 2002, 07:30 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Balcony worth it for New England?

George,

The weather in Canada/New England can be pretty chilly in October, especially in the northern reaches, so there's no guarantee that the weather will let you sit on your balcony for any length of time.

I personally don't see any reason to spend the money for a balcony cabin even in warmer climes. There are plenty of places on the ship where you can go to look at scenery -- the Promenade Deck, the topside areas, the card and game room, writing room, and library, the lounges, the Horizon Court, the disco aboard MV Golden Princess, etc. Unless it's a special occasion or a romantic nature (in which case, opt for a suite), I would rather book an inside cabin and invest the savings in shares of the cruise line.

Norm.
Old July 9th, 2002, 09:44 PM
Admiral

I think this is a question you need to ask yourself. First, it is a question of your life style and the level of comfort you enjoy. You ask here and in another board whether you should go from a balcony to an inside. Well... how about just a plain old OceanView as well? It isn't just a matter of the $$$, or the itinerary. I think that the light and the view and the fresh air from the balcony cannot be beat... ever... even on transatlantic... but, you see, that is a personal decision. It is something I believe you need to decide for yourself. And... yes, the New England and Canadian itineraries are a close second, if not a tie, with Alaska and the Norwegian Coast for places almost demanding a balcony!
Old July 10th, 2002, 07:38 AM
David Starkey

Default Re: Re: Balcony worth it for New England?

We sailed an 11 day Canada/New England in June on Celebrity and had an oceanview stateroom. It worked perfectly. We suspect that the temp would keep most people from enjoying a balcony too much. We love cool weather and spend much time on deck, but many passengers would feel the weather "too cool". When in Alaska(which we do most every summer) we usually book a balcony cabin, but to me the scenery is much better than New England. Save your money on this October sailing and use the extra $ toward another cruise.
Old July 10th, 2002, 01:58 PM
First Mate

Thanks for the responses. I was waiting for my TA to get back in touch with me. Talking with her helped pursuade me after hearing about her experience on this itinerary (cool weather, where they did not utilize the balcony very much (but of course it could be a warm spell this year)). The prices she found on balcony cabins weren't any better than I had found, so we've decided to go with the cat K inside cabin guarantee. (It's got to be more comfortable than the last time we sailed this area--off the coast of Maine on a sailing schooner where there wasn't even room to sit up in bed.) Maybe we'll get upgraded, maybe not. The great news is we'll be back on the Golden in 87 days.
Old July 10th, 2002, 03:35 PM
asunta

Hi everyone......just made a decision on the Golden Princess New England cruise for September 28, 7 days, got a mini-suite with balcony, dolphin 9 level #205 closer to the front instead of the rear #718 on the same level.......TA talked us into the front one..........hope we made the right choice and the weather is warmer than usual.....the only time we had a balcony was on Rennainase baltic cruise in summer and it was cool on the balcony except when sitting in port.....the fresh air is good.......anyone know about these areas on the ship??? We were upgraded from AD to AC but it was no big deal, just one level above, still only back or front choices.....asunta gina
Old July 11th, 2002, 02:44 PM
Yeoman

Hi George. You have been on the Golden before, right? I am going on the Golden for the Canada/New England itinerary in September!!!! We already have booked the cruise and we have a balcony cabin. I hope we enjoy it. By the way do you think you could give me some details or tips about the Golden? I would really appreciate it! Thanks!!
Old July 11th, 2002, 03:55 PM
asunta gina

Default Re: Re: Re: Balcony worth it for New England?

Hi cheryl......what date in september are you going to new england states on the golden princess??? We will be going too and wonder if the balcony is worth it; also wondering if our chosen cabins are good enough, read that the balconies beneath aloha are not very private......what do you or others think??? Thanks. gina
Old July 11th, 2002, 04:01 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Balcony worth it for New England?

Cheryl: Our vacation on the Golden was great. My tips are just the general nature ones: relax and enjoy everything. Be sure to try the tea one afternoon. Also plan on a meal at Sabatini's. We liked the behind-the-scenes tour of the theater. Don't be afraid to ask for what you'd like: two appetizers or entrees.
Old July 11th, 2002, 09:10 PM
Admiral

George,

Be sure to bring a winter jacket, too. Typical October temperatures are in the 50's in Boston and even cooler further north. Yes, you might hit a warm spell and find temperatures in the 70's, but you are eqully likely to hit a cold spell and find temperatures in the 30's or even in the 20's and perhaps a snowstorm as well. The northern part of Maine often has its first snow in August.

Norm.